• Total voters

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
1967 fastback, 2019 Bullitt
I know these are two unlikely choices, and each choice has its own forum. I figured each forum would have obvious bias so I'm posting here. I'm very serious and going to do one very soon.

I have driven my 2019 Bullitt well over a year and love love it. Love everything about it other than sometimes a little grind shifting 2nd-3rd (adding a shorter throw if i decide to keep it). BUT, i love new things, I want more power, and lust after the GT500. I have several options to get one quickly at very little over MSRP and money not the real issue. I know about both cars and Mustangs in general very well.

I've never owned a forced induction car in my 48 years. I've read and heard the arguments between superchargers and turbos (twin) for many years and am well acquainted and which system I ended up with doesn't play into my decision. I believe both have great advantages and few disadvantages and really its just a way for enthusiasts like us to have fun arguing :).

I HATE idea of giving up my beautiful Bullitt and giving up the fun of a manual. I've never ever modded a recent year model car in my life (under the hood that is). I want to go faster with STRONG acceleration. I love new tech. I love latest and greatest. I love history. I have a 67 fastback in the "shop" for 4 years being restored and tying up a fortune and don't want 3 mustangs. Ok, I want them but I have 5 kids and a wife, and there has to be a limit somewhere before we turn to ramen nightly.

So those are the only 2 choices for me. Not too interested in other options like, "why don't you just trade them both and buy a......?" or "those are dumb choices, why would you.....?" Any suggestions related to my 2 choices sure welcome appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I’d take the GT500 simply because of the transmission. If it works correctly, you won’t miss shifting and it won’t miss a shift.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
GT500 in a heartbeat. DCT transmissions are great and the car is already sorted out to handle the power. Plus it has a warranty. Adding FI to a Bullitt means lots of fiddling and tweaking and upgrading other parts. A GT500 is not just more horsepower.

Consider resale value, too. Bullitts are not exactly selling like hot cakes. They are being discounted a lot. A Mustang with aftermarket performance add-ons is a tough sell and you won't get your money out of it. But a GT500 will hold it's value pretty well.

Last edited:

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
If you want to supercharge your Bullitt, and have the work done by an approved shop, you can have a warranty on the engine. Long-term, the GT500 will depreciate less, as your Bullitt will be "just another supercharged Mustang". But, if this were me, I'd rather have a vehicle with a clutch pedal. So my vote is to supercharge the Bullitt.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Ask yourself what you plan on doing with the car, are you going to just drive it and have fun or is it going to be a track car mostly? If your just going to drive it and have fun then supercharge the bullitt, if your going to track it, then buy the gt 500.

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
I would say gt500. Factory boost creates a more reliable platform to build from. Also, as has already been said, gt500 will hold value longer. Good luck with what ever option you choose

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I would go gt500. It already has the supporting mods for the power straight from the factory and tuning companies are proving there’s still a lot of power that can be squeezed out of the car. Not only that but you’ll get a better suspension than in the Bullitt and a DCT. I think once you do the math on the msrp of the Bullitt and adding the money for boosting and suspension you’ll be at the price of a gt500 and without a warranty. Plus I think the gt500 will be more collectible and frankly looks better but that’s subjective. You should go test drive one though and see if it seems worth it to you try driving the gt500 in manual mode and see if you can live with that over the manual in your Bullitt.

OP
OP

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
Ask yourself what you plan on doing with the car, are you going to just drive it and have fun or is it going to be a track car mostly? If your just going to drive it and have fun then supercharge the bullitt, if your going to track it, then buy the gt 500.

Definitely drive and have fun car. daily driver too other than weather days. I love to accelerate when possible and safe. Most likely will never go to a track in my life as the driver.

OP
OP

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
If you want to supercharge your Bullitt, and have the work done by an approved shop, you can have a warranty on the engine. Long-term, the GT500 will depreciate less, as your Bullitt will be "just another supercharged Mustang". But, if this were me, I'd rather have a vehicle with a clutch pedal. So my vote is to supercharge the Bullitt.

The 2 Ford dealers near me (one large and one VERY large) have both told me that even if they themselves add forced induction to my Bullitt, it will void the powertrain. Roush specifically states they are not compatible with Bullitt and I've had people all over state confirm this. Roush is only blower that my local dealers will place on and still offer a 3 year power train warranty on my car. Of course the devices themselves have warranties. So if I were to go Hellion, Whipple, etc, it's still voiding warranty on my Bullitt powertrain

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I would definitely choose the GT500 over a supercharged Bullitt. That said, I have a third option to put forth: forgo forced induction and build a full bolt on + ported heads and aftermarket camshafts Bullitt. So many people here think forced induction is the only way to make more power. With these mods you'd be around 600 hp at the crank, give or take depending on head and cam stages. A stage 3 head porting and stage 3 cams with full bolt ons would likely be well over 600 crank hp (~620 hp give or take) on a 93 octane tune. Stage 2 everything would likely approach 600 hp. And since it's naturally aspirated the drivetrain would be good to go (less torque than a forced induction engine). But with 600 naturally aspirated crank hp you'd be very quick, more streetable power (due to less low end boost), and you wouldn't have the additional 100+ lbs in the front of the car that a supercharger would add. Add an E85 tune and you'd likely be approaching or surpassing 650 hp, naturally aspirated. The ported heads and cams can be had for less than the cost of a supercharger system, and if you can do the work yourself...save a lot of coin. Plus, you'd have one nice sounding idle and would be more unique, rather than just another supercharged Mustang.

Sponsored

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I know these are two unlikely choices, and each choice has its own forum. I figured each forum would have obvious bias so I'm posting here. I'm very serious and going to do one very soon.

I have driven my 2019 Bullitt well over a year and love love it. Love everything about it other than sometimes a little grind shifting 2nd-3rd (adding a shorter throw if i decide to keep it). BUT, i love new things, I want more power, and lust after the GT500. I have several options to get one quickly at very little over MSRP and money not the real issue. I know about both cars and Mustangs in general very well.

I've never owned a forced induction car in my 48 years. I've read and heard the arguments between superchargers and turbos (twin) for many years and am well acquainted and which system I ended up with doesn't play into my decision. I believe both have great advantages and few disadvantages and really its just a way for enthusiasts like us to have fun arguing :).

I HATE idea of giving up my beautiful Bullitt and giving up the fun of a manual. I've never ever modded a recent year model car in my life (under the hood that is). I want to go faster with STRONG acceleration. I love new tech. I love latest and greatest. I love history. I have a 67 fastback in the "shop" for 4 years being restored and tying up a fortune and don't want 3 mustangs. Ok, I want them but I have 5 kids and a wife, and there has to be a limit somewhere before we turn to ramen nightly.

So those are the only 2 choices for me. Not too interested in other options like, "why don't you just trade them both and buy a......?" or "those are dumb choices, why would you.....?" Any suggestions related to my 2 choices sure welcome appreciated. Thanks in advance!
My advice is how much work do you want to put in. If you have a garage, time, to let the car sit for 6-8 months then yes consider forced induction on your bullet.

If you like me have a job, and shit to do and would rather just get in the car press the on button and go buy a GT500.

To me thats all it comes down to. Both will deliver what you want. The GT500 does it with a warranty, comes with basically Ford's Aluminator V8, the suspension is pretty much all the aftermarket mods we do like vertical links etc rolled into it from the factory and it comes with a carbon fibre driveshaft and bigger axles.

If you get tired of DCT you can bolt on a tremec magnum XL its the same bolt pattern, thats a way better trans than the gen 3 mt82.

So My pick would be the gt500. It's a higger sticker price up front. Factor in cost of the car dealer markup plus an additional 5k for extended warranty. But you have zero downtime and if something brwaks you get free roadside assistance, free replacement vehicle and the peace of mind of just dropping off the car picking it up and just signing the paper work no cash out of pocket.

The gt500 is a great deal... Wait till November its going to be even better...

Last edited:

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
To clarify the reason i say have time to let the car sit for 6-8months is forced induction makes the cars get really really delicate. Especially if you go turbo. And especially if you like 90% of mustang owners tried to build it cheap. Literally anything can cause a catastrophic failure.

Plus there are no guarantees. You take the motor down to put in opg, mess up the timing now you need an engine, you forget to tighten a coolant hose hit boost blow the hose off you'll melt a piston in 7 seconds...

Your boost a pump has a I,termittent short you get fuel cut run lean under load you crack a Ringland...

Your bullet maybe one in 10,000 that has casting issues in the sleeves now you have a hairline fracture in your block, you boost it all of a sudden you're drinking coolant all the time can't track down where its coming from...

Its just a nightmare. Get a gt500, all you have to worry about is pressing the start button too softly....

OP
OP

doccoch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
To clarify the reason i say have time to let the car sit for 6-8months is forced induction makes the cars get really really delicate. Especially if you go turbo. And especially if you like 90% of mustang owners tried to build it cheap. Literally anything can cause a catastrophic failure.

Plus there are no guarantees. You take the motor down to put in opg, mess up the timing now you need an engine, you forget to tighten a coolant hose hit boost blow the hose off you'll melt a piston in 7 seconds...

Your boost a pump has a I,termittent short you get fuel cut run lean under load you crack a Ringland...

Your bullet maybe one in 10,000 that has casting issues in the sleeves now you have a hairline fracture in your block, you boost it all of a sudden you're drinking coolant all the time can't track down where its coming from...

Its just a nightmare. Get a gt500, all you have to worry about is pressing the start button too softly....
your giving me chest tightness thinking about this

ManyfordsnoMustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible Magnetic 10 spd auto loaded; '04 Maruader SC, 1970 442 W30 Convertible, 2014 Fusion Energi
Kudos for having 5 kids and even thinking of a GT500. I don't have either car but I do have 2004 Marauder that I supercharged. I have put 90K miles on that engine but every two years or so something goes wrong with it - its being worked on again. I can't tell you how nice it is to drive a fast factory car and have so few worries as I am now doing with the Mustang. You have the cash GT500, with the cost of college I'd hold onto the bullet, leave as is for a while and in a year or two buy a 500 for a bit less
Sponsored