Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
V3 block - Rougher and Darker Casting, provisions on block have changed, and uses rivets for oil galleys

V5 Block (Latest) - Smoother Casting, Different Provisions, Different Casting Marks, Different Final Machining, and threaded oil galleys.

We have measured the bore of both the older block variants and the latest, then bolted on our deck plate and measured again. The v5 block was the most rigid and had less deflection, we also did the same test with and without the balance shaft housing. You'd be surprised how much rigidity the balance shaft housing adds to the block. This is why we gut them and make the necessary oiling changes and reinstall JUST the housing back onto our engines we are building.
Sponsored

PamAndJim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang
The statement Implies that all 2015 engines built prior to 5/15 are flawed by suggesting 2016 are ok.

Clean your glasses, take a deep breath and try again.

"You have a 2016, The problem engines are 5/15 and older"
Oh, the glasses thing again. How original. The statement does not imply anything. If anyone is implying (technically, inferring) something, it's you. I'll say it again. Saying the engines that had problems were from 2015 does not mean that everything from 2015 will have problems. It's a very simple distinction to make.

By your rationale, if I say "The guy that robbed the bank was white" then all white guys must rob banks. It's silly and you're trying to make something out of nothing. That's easy to see, especially for me now that my glasses are so clean.

Spykexx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Prem M6, 2019 Charger Scat Pack Plus
Very nice write-up and condensing into one post Adam! While I don't own one yet (Nor do I have a stance to really add) this helps a little bit of the "worry" as I'm about to buy a new ecoboost in about a month. I know who I will be looking towards when the time comes!

OP
OP
Maggneto

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
If there is a problem with 2015 engine blocks they need to be exposed so we can take the appropriate action/non action to protect the warranty. There are a bunch of people getting stuck with 7k bills because Ford is denying the warranty claims.

If there is in fact a defect in the engine block that leads to engine failure there may be a class action lawsuit against Ford to have all the 40k 2015 engine blocks replaced, or reimburse those with tunes/extend power-train warranty since the block is flawed (cracks, pin holes) and may eventually fail due to faulty casting, engineering process. This will also have a negative impact on resale value.

Are you still tuning 2015 engines blocks even though you have uncovered anomalies which may lead to a higher failure rate?

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Its best to just give up on the Spain verses Cleveland engine battle. In my opinion they might have a few minor changes, but still the same engine, a screw in oil galley plug and a smoother casting on the block doesn't make the pistons or rods any stronger or weaker.

As people have said, there is no proof that the rods or pistons are any different, heck ill pay a few hundred bucks for an unhurt rod and piston ( pm me if interested ) out of a Cleveland engine to compare to my Spanish built counterparts. I personally think the Spanish built engine is better, my stock OEM engine habla espanol, and went 10.73 at a tick under 128 mph with Lund Racing at the wheel on the tune.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Another completely worthless thread on this topic. What would anyone hope to get out of starting a thread like this? It accomplishes nothing. If you don't have an early build EB, move on... If you do have one and you don't believe what Adam says... ummm I don't know.... maybe ask Adam for more info? :shrug: If you have an early build Mustang and what Adam says scares you, trade it in and move on or maybe grab a blanky and curl up in the corner. Either way it doesn't help anything by coming here and ranting about it.

If you don't believe the manufacturers are making constant changes to the engine, you are either clueless or very naive. Yes it is the same power plant but they've also made lots of changes just like every other engine over time, not just Fords either. I think it's a very easy assumption to make that with almost every change made, the engine gets better and more reliable. So naturally engines will be better after time.

* Build date 2/15

perfweld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Another completely worthless thread on this topic. What would anyone hope to get out of starting a thread like this? It accomplishes nothing. If you don't have an early build EB, move on... If you do have one and you don't believe what Adam says... ummm I don't know.... maybe ask Adam for more info? :shrug: If you have an early build Mustang and what Adam says scares you, trade it in and move on or maybe grab a blanky and curl up in the corner. Either way it doesn't help anything by coming here and ranting about it.

If you don't believe the manufacturers are making constant changes to the engine, you are either clueless or very naive. Yes it is the same power plant but they've also made lots of changes just like every other engine over time, not just Fords either. I think it's a very easy assumption to make that with almost every change made, the engine gets better and more reliable. So naturally engines will be better after time.

* Build date 2/15
OEM engines don't always get better, don't assume that, they can get worst if the engineers find ways to save money on a any given part.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
OEM engines don't always get better, don't assume that, they can get worst if the engineers find ways to save money on a any given part.
Notice the purposefully inserted "almost". :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Maggneto

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro

* Build date 2/15
Accomplishing nothing is what the post above looks like. Why not just blow your nose, wipe your eyes and move on JB? If there is a flaw in the 2015 engine why are tuners still tuning them? Hmmmmmm....

You don't go around implying that 2015 EB's are inferior without getting challenged. Adam is the authority on the subject, OK, then he should be able to defend his comments with physical evidence to back it up. While I appreciate his detailed response with pics it does nothing to prove that X engines are more prone than Y to fail.

Obviously Adam has an impressive resume so his testimonial can't be completely discounted, he is also a business man so he can't be completely trusted either. Maybe the tuners changed something after they figured out they were causing the failures and that is why we see less failures after X date. Everyone is so quick to point the finger at Ford while dismissing the possibility that other factors are causing the failures, and may have changed over time.

Also, what I find most amusing is that Valencia has more experience building the I4 Ecoboost than Cleveland but somehow the Cleveland plant is building better Ecoboost engines? Valencia started building the I4 Ecoboost in 2009 and Cleveland not until 2013.

Just trade it in? That is your contribution Jackass?

lizardrko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Auto PP
Accomplishing nothing is what the post above looks like. Why not just blow your nose, wipe your eyes and move on JB? If there is a flaw in the 2015 engine why are tuners still tuning them? Hmmmmmm....

You don't go around implying that 2015 EB's are inferior without getting challenged. Adam is the authority on the subject, OK, then he should be able to defend his comments with physical evidence to back it up. While I appreciate his detailed response with pics it does nothing to prove that X engines are more prone than Y to fail.

Obviously Adam has an impressive resume so his testimonial can't be completely discounted, he is also a business man so he can't be completely trusted either. Maybe the tuners changed something after they figured out they were causing the failures and that is why we see less failures after X date. Everyone is so quick to point the finger at Ford while dismissing the possibility that other factors are causing the failures, and may have changed over time.

Also, what I find most amusing is that Valencia has more experience building the I4 Ecoboost than Cleveland but somehow the Cleveland plant is building better Ecoboost engines? Valencia started building the I4 Ecoboost in 2009 and Cleveland not until 2013.

Adam just gave u pictures with proof that the engine has changed over time and his experiences with each different block. What more proof are u after exactly? If u cant deduce from his explanation and pictures that there was obviously something going on with the early builds that took a couple tries to get right then ur just ignorant. Just because he is a business man does not mean he cant be trusted. Sure not all business men can be trusted but in the end, hes a car enthusiast just like all of us but who has access to tons of resources none of us will ever get to. Like I said on another post, fancy software cannot fix faulty mechanical hardware

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)

I should have expected a response like this, no intelligence and have to resort to name calling over the Internet...

You completely missed the point of my post. Since you aren't intelligent enough to read and understand, I'll end my input.

5.0yote

AKA Bananana & 3.7Cyclone
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
While I appreciate his detailed response with pics it does nothing to prove that X engines are more prone than Y to fail.
:doh:

<begin rant>

Adam I can confidently say you can just move along there is no amount of logic that can be used in this thread that can make a person understand what they do not understand.

Maggneto, the mere fact that Ford engineers have release block, rod, crank, and other revisions is the proof that they are making corrections and hot fixes to flaws they are being informed about through their QA process based on dealer repair, and warranty data. This is how the process works. Your post, and inquiries have been asked, and answered. You are free to selectively ignore the facts, but most automobile manufacturers operate in this fashion and often times the consumer never even knows there are production changes, even many times during a single production year, as well as during the product cycle. If an engine builder like Adam, Livernois, Lund, MAP, etc tells you one casting is better than another, and this is why, how on earth do you come to the above conclusion?? Is it you just do not understand was casting means, or rigidity, or even what an oil galley is and why threaded is better than riveted? or just cannot comprehend the base data like consumer posts and the relevant MYs being reported and how they failed? You only can be told so many times why X manufactured pre-<insert date here> had more failures than Y. Even if it is speculation by the aftermarket builder, they are the ones with the knowledge, and hands on the parts, most of us, and I assume you do not have direct hands on experience with the subject of your post and they do, yet you refuse to accept facts.

We understand you have not been convinced here, but really man it does not take the likes of me to point this out to you.... it should be obvious. :frusty:

</end rant>

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
If there is a problem with 2015 engine blocks they need to be exposed so we can take the appropriate action/non action to protect the warranty. There are a bunch of people getting stuck with 7k bills because Ford is denying the warranty claims.

If there is in fact a defect in the engine block that leads to engine failure there may be a class action lawsuit against Ford to have all the 40k 2015 engine blocks replaced, or reimburse those with tunes/extend power-train warranty since the block is flawed (cracks, pin holes) and may eventually fail due to faulty casting, engineering process. This will also have a negative impact on resale value.

Are you still tuning 2015 engines blocks even though you have uncovered anomalies which may lead to a higher failure rate?

edited to make a little more sense
the guys stuck with 7k bills where more than likely tuned if that is the case they cant demand anything from ford because their engine was not strong enough to handle a tune you gotta pay to play

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.