Actual warranty denials due to tuning.

Fasteddie760

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Gt PP1
What about swapping out the factory PCM with a secondary PCM? IF you need warranty work, then you can swap the EOM PCM back in the car.

Ed
Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Bottom line if your still under factory warranty or have an extended warranty, even your powertrain warranty be prepared to have it voided if you have any mechanical issues and have a tune. Some service departments may except a tune but most wont cause there butt and dealerships also if GM or any other car manufacturer find out they did warranty work and there was a tune, they are supposed to check. And now a days your not going to be able to hide the fact you had one and took it out.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
People have posted a couple times about denials because of tunes. I would assume if you run a tune your engine warranty is gone.
They will deny coverage on the entire powertrain. Because you've now asked the clutch/trans/diff/halfshafts/etc to operate at a power level higher than specified from the factory.

I had this happen on my BRZ. They denied the warranty on the crap synchros because of the tune. Even though a company like Edelbrock will put a 3/36 warranty on the drivetrain with on their superchargers.

If you are going to tune a car under warranty, you might as well act as though you no longer have a drivetrain warranty.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Would a borla atak catback also void the warranty? It does mention exhaust and it is not a Ford part.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What about swapping out the factory PCM with a secondary PCM? IF you need warranty work, then you can swap the EOM PCM back in the car.

Ed
The modern day PCMs supposedly contain the VIN and a lot more ā€˜As Builtā€™ info.... itā€™s not like years past where one could swap an A9L into another Mustang. Back then there were no ā€œtiesā€ or internal verifications embedded into the hardware to do a check on what it was being hooked up to or swapped into...

Thatā€™s not to say a modern day S550 PCM swap (or clone) isnā€™t possible, itā€™s just not as easy to do in your driveway as it was 30 yrs ago.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Would a borla atak catback also void the warranty? It does mention exhaust and it is not a Ford part.
Short answer is no.

Long answer is if what you installed causes a second part to break then they will void it on that particular part. Like if your header were to crack because the cat back was installed improperly. Very implausible but just an example.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
With the rate of failures and issues with the Vodoo, I would not give Ford any reason to deny a warranty claim. I don't think an exhaust would result in that as long as you don't install a tune, but I am not sure it's worth the risk. The stock engine and exhaust, to me, already sounds amazing.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
There is another thread outlining two youtubers who had Warranty claims denied. The one was specifically for her car being tuned and she claimed they caught it because her "stock" intake was not as dirty as the rest of her engine. (she had put the stock intake back on before taking it in)

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...gine-themselves-after-warranty-denial.131247/

I am considering the x-pipe replacement and resonator delete after I pick mine up this weekend. I was also thinking about the JLT intake and a Lund Flex tune, but after reading about the others having their warranty claim denied, I think I will keep it simple for a while. If things go well with the car, I may splurge on a 6 year / 36,000 mile bumper to bumper ESP, so that would be another reason for me to avoid a tune.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aggarcia70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Every auto maker will deny powertrain warranty claims with a aftermarket tune. The manufacture approves or denies warranty work, not the dealer. On performance models the dealer/manufacture looks over the car more closely. Don't think its just Ford, but every car maker is looking at warranty claims costs and looks for ways to deny claims. The MM act sounds wonderful on paper, but if the warranty work is denied you have very few options but complaining and legal action. The old adage - pay to play fits here. it you modify your car the odds of getting warranty claims approved decreases.

mk1spyder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R TT005

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OK, so we have resurrected a year old thread that never received an answer. Unless someone chimes in with an actual warranty denial we should let it die again.

TxGT350-52

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot, 2021 Diesel Tremor CG
OK, so we have resurrected a year old thread that never received an answer. Unless someone chimes in with an actual warranty denial we should let it die again.
Youtubers do not count?
Sponsored