Actual warranty denials due to tuning.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
But if I put 305s on and do a pull off the lights and my oh so reliable MT-82 D4 grenades then potentially Ford could say tough luck your non standard as left from the factory tires were the cause of the issue
Sponsored

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
But if I put 305s on and do a pull off the lights and my oh so reliable MT-82 D4 grenades then potentially Ford could say tough luck your non standard as left from the factory tires were the cause of the issue
that would be a stretch. You could also call Ford and plead your case. My girl got her ecoboost turbos covered after the warranty had expired: they denied her at the dealer and she called and plead her case. I’ve heard great things about Ford covering things.

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thats exactly the point I was driving at, any modification could be grounds for voiding a warranty if it could be shown to have possibly caused the failure. Is it likely? probably not. Is it guaranteed Ford will cover you, nope. If you want the best possible guarantee do nothing to your car. But some common sense says the more you stray from "normal" the bigger the risk. So you stick a tune on for e85, put some drag radials on, add some go faster bolt ons, beat the crap out of the car off every light and you are more likely to have your drive train warranty denied than Joe Blow who put on bigger tires or put on a cold air intake or some other realtively normal mod.

It's just actuarial figures, size of change vs percentage of risk x dollar cost to ford

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
and to answer the OPs question I am aware of one owner having their warranty voided for a tune but to be fair melted pistons make a compelling case.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Looking at this post https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/actual-warranty-denials-due-to-tuning.130679/post-2699567 from Cobra Jet

1612820611038.png
Bullet point 1 oversize tires......Changing my tire size to say 305s could kill my drive train warranty???
Well, no it wouldn't kill the warranty. But a specific claim could be denied if your tires were responsible for the damage needed to be repaired under warranty. Same goes for any suspension work, etc. If Ford can prove a link to the damage the claim could be refused.

Reactions: jwt

Sponsored

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
Not quite and this has been answered 1000 times here. Ford Performance own warranty takes over that is 3 years long - from the date the car has been purchased (not the date kit was installed). Whether Ford (not Ford Performance) would warranty engine with this kit is unknown but they would have grounds to not do so - it's unlikely there will be a need since this most definitely is a safe tune.

Thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for as it gets confusing.

Krman68

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350, 68 GT500KR
I am a lucky one. Stock motor. 15k miles. Ford is replacing my engine under warranty But it took awhile for approval. They were looking to see if it was modded

it turned out to be the oil pump failed
Sponsored

Last edited: