Sponsored

Active Exhaust Upgrade Kit - Make your GT sound like the Mach 1

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I have a similar setup, GT500 exhaust with H pipe.

E146D0DB-CBA0-480D-AB57-DCD86189C4AB.jpeg
Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I have a similar setup, GT500 exhaust with H pipe.

E146D0DB-CBA0-480D-AB57-DCD86189C4AB.jpeg
Looks great with the bigger tips. Any sound clips? Does it sound like a GT with an H pipe or do the 500 mufflers give it a different tone?

kiksbutt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Looks great with the bigger tips. Any sound clips? Does it sound like a GT with an H pipe or do the 500 mufflers give it a different tone?
a slightly deeper tone. I think the GT w H pipe in track mode can get raspy where the GT500 almost fully eliminated it.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Will it fit? Yes. Will it be functional? No.

Your car has to have the correct specific wiring harness dropouts at the rear (plenty didn't get them) and your control unit would need to be reprogrammed to activate the feature. Unless you want to go with aftermarket electronics for it.
I'm guessing you can just leave the active flaps open :? If they are in the axel-backs. I really like the valance/mufflers of the Mach 1 I know I will need 2018+ bumper and lights but I still think it's nice to have. My question is more of the is it going to work on a stock GT without AE and without the electronics bits.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Love the S Type. I just can’t justify paying $X for the active exhaust then dropping another $Y on a full catback. At least not right now LOL…
I did do both. Active and then the S type with valves. I'm a service provider for Borla so I got a pretty good discount otherwise I probably would have just done a resonator delete. It's really nice to be able to go to quiet mode in the mornings to knock down the rasp on cold start...

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
Same. I can care less for any gains but rather for the look of the Mach 1 exhaust. I personally wouldn't want to mimic a Mach 1 by any means. I feel like adding the valence would be too much for my taste. Its a different story if the Mach 1 valence is needed for clearance.

I personally have just slid on some eBay tips for the time being. This was my economic solution. I believe i spent around $100 and sure beats the look of the stock AE exhaust.
rear 1.JPG

More info here: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-2019-active-exhaust-tips.127455/
I've looked at the thread several times and like the look. I've got factory active exhaust with x-pipe and love the sound and the ability to adjust the sound level, did a 600km round trip to Woodward this year and it was nice to be able to drive in quiet mode at 5am in the morning. The Mach 1 exhaust is straight bolt on and retains active exhaust, not sure what route I'll go but the oem tips definitely need to go.

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Man...love the look of the M1! But I would also want the intake setup so the entire kit (FP intake/tune and exhaust) would be $2800 parts and to keep the warranty, I'd have to have it installed by an ASE tech. Getting pricy...

Salty

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 MT-82, 2019 5.0 10R80
I've looked at the thread several times and like the look. I've got factory active exhaust with x-pipe and love the sound and the ability to adjust the sound level, did a 600km round trip to Woodward this year and it was nice to be able to drive in quiet mode at 5am in the morning. The Mach 1 exhaust is straight bolt on and retains active exhaust, not sure what route I'll go but the oem tips definitely need to go.
100% agree with you. I have a H pipe paired with oem active exhaust. I love the sound so that checks that box off. The look of the tips from the factory and horrible. Not mention they will slice you up pretty good if your not careful. The only reason I would get a GT500/Mach 1 exhaust would be for aesthetics. Tips vs GT500/Mach 1 exhaust are $100 vs $1500. I like the exhaust but not for $1500. I think I’ll rock my eBay tips a bit more till I find some crazy deal. I just can’t justify that much for just the look of the exhaust. Rather get some headers and a E85 tune for that money

allicedout

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hem
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
100% agree with you. I have a H pipe paired with oem active exhaust. I love the sound so that checks that box off. The look of the tips from the factory and horrible. Not mention they will slice you up pretty good if your not careful. The only reason I would get a GT500/Mach 1 exhaust would be for aesthetics. Tips vs GT500/Mach 1 exhaust are $100 vs $1500. I like the exhaust but not for $1500. I think I’ll rock my eBay tips a bit more till I find some crazy deal. I just can’t justify that much for just the look of the exhaust. Rather get some headers and a E85 tune for that money
Yea I feel you, its a huge amount to dump for aesthetics, I don't mind the ebay option but if I'm going to do it then I want tips that I really like... I'll have to visit a performance muffler shop and see what they think.

Sponsored

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I'm guessing you can just leave the active flaps open :? If they are in the axel-backs. I really like the valance/mufflers of the Mach 1 I know I will need 2018+ bumper and lights but I still think it's nice to have. My question is more of the is it going to work on a stock GT without AE and without the electronics bits.
You can. I retrofitted the active exhaust to my car, and I just safety wired the valves open until I got electronics for it. Though I could sometimes hear the valves flapping, I think I didn't get the safety wire tight enough. Another option is to have the valves tack welded in the open position, but that's a little more permanent.

If you aren't planning to go the whole 9 yards with AE and the electronics for it, you're probably better off spending less money on an aftermarket axle-back with the look you want, and getting the M1 rear valence pieces separately.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
For anyone thinking of doing a DIY AE controller, you should check this out: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-gt-active-exhaust-controller-standalone.179782/
Just to add to this, I bought a kit just like this one on Ebay and it has worked perfect for me for more than a year now. The electronic actuators bolt right up to the AE valves (so you can toss the valves that come in the kit), although you'll need to source the springs separately. This kit only allows for two modes, open or closed, if that's all you're looking for.

Capture.PNG

Vertex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Devan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 FJG HP
I will say that I absolutely love the way my Mach 1 sounds for factory exhaust. I did do a mid pipe delete and put in a roush X-Pipe and to me it did not really change the tone, but made it just more pronounced/louder. Love it!

Last edited: