Sponsored

AC doesn't work when its hot outside

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
So i Know there have been a lot of issues with the AC evaporator on these cars. But I am not sure that is the cause of my issue. The AC works very well if the outside temp is about 70 or below. When it is about 75 out the AC will run for a few minutes then cut off and start blowing hot air. When it is hot out 80+ the AC will only blow hot air.

When the AC is working the air is ice cold. When its not it is the same as running the Ventilation with out the AC turned on. I have checked the AC compressor and found that the AC clutch does not engage when ever the AC is blowing hot air, which is expected.

Any ideas?

I have brought the car to ford once before for this and they were unable to replicate the issue. It was on a cooler day, just bad timing.

Is there anything I can check? My gut tells me its an electrical issue or a bad sensor telling the compressor to turn off.
Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
It's the evaporator. I just brought mine in with the exact same symptoms (air would be fine when I left my house at 0700 and 70 degrees, then blow hot at 1600 and 85 degrees) and they were able to replicate. Three days to order the part, 2.5 days to remove and replace, and I just got the car back yesterday afternoon. They did damage the leather trim panel on the driver's side of the radio, so now they have to order that piece and replace it.

Bring it to your dealership on a hot afternoon, and leave the car running outside. Demand that the service manager come witness the issue. My dealership said they'd done dozens of these.

JR

OP
OP

cechk01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
It's the evaporator. I just brought mine in with the exact same symptoms (air would be fine when I left my house at 0700 and 70 degrees, then blow hot at 1600 and 85 degrees) and they were able to replicate. Three days to order the part, 2.5 days to remove and replace, and I just got the car back yesterday afternoon. They did damage the leather trim panel on the driver's side of the radio, so now they have to order that piece and replace it.

Bring it to your dealership on a hot afternoon, and leave the car running outside. Demand that the service manager come witness the issue. My dealership said they'd done dozens of these.

JR
well damnit.

good news is it will be 90 all next week so they should have no problem replicating the issue
Sponsored