Sponsored

About to pass 150,000 miles on my 2016 Mustang Ecoboost—Any advice on preventive maintainence?

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
I have a 2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with a manual transmission and am coming up on 150,000 miles which is the end of the extended ESP warranty I bought with Ford. Any suggestions for preventive maintainence or things to have the dealership look for before it goes out of warranty?

If there are any tips out there please let me know. I know if a turbo goes out that is like $2000 to fix for example, but so far everything seems to be humming along.

And yes I know it’s crazy to put 42,000 miles on a relatively new car. I have been doing this commute for 3 and a half years and am sacrificing the car to live in a major city (vs the middle of nowhere where my job is). Fortunately this car has proven to be fairly reliable, so my current plan is to drive it like this for another year and a half. At that point I’ll switch jobs and no longer have that long commute.
Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Keep up the good work is all I can say. I'm guessing you have remained stock?

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
How are your control arms and wheel bearings holding up? I've heard of early failures for both of those.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, you must be properly maintaining the vehicle so far and you probably have the most miles on an EB on this forum! :clap:

Keep changing the oil at regular intervals and maintain other fluid levels and you really should not have any major issues. Always check under the vehicle and inside the engine bay for any possible leaks and address when necessary.

Just curious, is the EB completely stock? So at 150k accrued miles, no “the sky is falling” carbon build up worries? :giggle:

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Change all the fluids. Trans, engine, coolant, diff, brakes, etc. And the filters.

And please share what repairs you've had over your 150,000 miles.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
plugs too if those haven't been changed yet. Should be easy on a eco motor to do yourself.

wow 150k miles congrats! 3 years wow thats impressive.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I would do the full 150k service, including changing belts. And I agree with those that say to change every fluid. I would look at the coolant hoses and make sure they still look ok.

Definitely have a close look at the bushings and shocks or have a mechanic do it. Bad bushings and shocks will wear out tires and that will cost you money.

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
wow and I thought I had put quite a few miles on mine!
I bought it CPO with 10k miles and right now am approaching 70k.

I plan on keeping it till Sept 2020 to trade it in for a HPP with good sales deals/incentives...:like::rockon::thumbsup:

Joe B.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang V6 coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Just keep driving it for that year and a half, check the tires, then trade it on a new one.

Sponsored

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with changing all fluids and refreshing all consumables if necessary. Continue with the regular oil changes and it should get 300 to 350k without issue.

Accessories are always YMMV.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
My last co. vehicle, ‘12 Tahoe, had around 200,000 miles and a ton of idle time when they took it in. All they ever did was change the oil every 5k and transmission fluid at 100k and the air filter at 15k. Other than that, that was it unless something broke like the transmission at 155k or wore out like the brakes. When the tranny went out they replaced the radiator and fluid.

If you haven’t found a weak link by now, it should do fine. My tranny started acting up at 75k and by 155k it was done. Host of other miscellaneous crap, like motor mounts and wheel bearings.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Thanks for all the advice and I guess I am the mileage leader in here. Also the owner of the Mustang with the lowest resale so winning in every way here lol. I think my current plan is I'll drive it the year and half I still have this commute and then if it's still going strong keep it a little while longer.

From reading through this I'll check the control arms, wheel bearings, and have all the fluids flushed. I've kept the car completely stock and paid it off very fast. The only issues I've had is the AC acted up a couple of times but it was covered under the extended warranty I have. Beyond that I was rear ended and had the bumper replaced, but in general it seems to be driving fine.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Thanks for all the advice and I guess I am the mileage leader in here. Also the owner of the Mustang with the lowest resale so winning in every way here lol. I think my current plan is I'll drive it the year and half I still have this commute and then if it's still going strong keep it a little while longer.

From reading through this I'll check the control arms, wheel bearings, and have all the fluids flushed. I've kept the car completely stock and paid it off very fast. The only issues I've had is the AC acted up a couple of times but it was covered under the extended warranty I have. Beyond that I was rear ended and had the bumper replaced, but in general it seems to be driving fine.
Let us know if you find anything. I want to keep mine long-term, so someday I hope to make it to where you are now.

OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Let us know if you find anything. I want to keep mine long-term, so someday I hope to make it to where you are now.
I took it in today to Firestone since a friend of mine works there and they looked at everything. They told me the blower motor probably will need replaced soon and the rear differential is leaking and needs to be fixed. Cost of both is roughly $1000-$1500. I’m going to take it to Ford and see if the ESP warranty I have covers those two parts.

My tires were done too and I had a cracked rim so replaced the tires and wheels for $1200 ($800 for the tires, $400 for the wheels roughly), I’m attaching a photo of the new darker wheels (which I’m still getting used to) and tossed the original 3 factory wheels in storage for now. So as of now it’s looking like at this mileage in the worst case scenario I’ll spend about $2500-$3000 to keep the car going. While I don’t want to spend that I’m more relieved that I’m not looking at a massive amount of repairs. View attachment 401579
9DC54735-C28D-4A47-B6A5-3B23D7F9C958.jpeg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0