Sponsored

About to but new GT 350- should I do it?

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
Off topic, but how have you only gone through one set of pads in 12 track days‽ I have done 3 days and *might* get one more day. Rears are also near end of life. I do not even do much street driving. Less than 3k mikes on the car.
First, bed your pads real good. Progressive harder stops from 50, 60, 70 & 80 to get them HOT. Then park the car for 24 hours. Then ok to play. On the track only use the brakes when you are at the OMG threshold point then get off and apply throttle. Modulates as needed. The brakes then don't overheat. Do not use the brakes to slow down. Use them to threshold brake.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
OP, take the hint, you can fix the title of your thread.

Just get one, you won't regret it.:like:
No ragrets, not even one.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Coming from a 2015 GT, for me the GT350 was a huge step up. The body motions of the car are really well controlled and the ride is firm, but still compliant. Past Mustangs have either been overly stiff or far too mushy for me. Also, the redesigned front end not only looks better, but provides much better visibility.

The brakes on this car are amazing. The engine feels to me like a hot rodded Coyote. I've always liked the Coyote, but the Voodoo has even more of what I love - that high revving capability and lots of power up top. It's perfect for a car that's driven a lot on the street but also taken to the track. I leave for work early in the morning and the exhaust is super quiet. This morning it was in the low thirties and if you keep the revs down it's really easy to control this car in lower traction situations like that. For me the fact that the engine doesn't have a ton of torque at low RPM is an advantage. It gives the engine multiple characters. When it's rainy, cold, etc. you can keep the revs under 3,000 and it's easy to manage the car.

At the track the car turns into a beast - the engine sounds amazing, the brakes work awesome. There have been very few cars at the local track days that can keep up with it. And nothing sounds better - other than maybe an exotic. For the money I think the GT350 is a great choice.

Reliability - it's still a Mustang. So expect that the panel fit won't be amazing. The interior has fake hard plastic molded stitching looking edges in areas. The dealers are typically not great. Locally here the techs don't seem to know the car well, but they do respect it and try hard. I installed my own front splitter after trying a few times to get a local dealer to do it. They couldn't seem to get it right. For me, the drivetrain has been great, though. That is similar to the experience I've had with other Ford products. Not perfect, but the big things are good. I have 30k on my Voodoo and it doesn't burn oil.

I would definitely buy a GT350 again. I would stay away from a 2016 because they get too hot at the track. Even if you aren't going to the track I would still recommend you stay away from a 2016, just because they will run hotter in any performance situation. Even if limp mode doesn't kick in, I would think overall life will be impacted negatively.

And Ford does provide a warranty, so if you have problems with your car you can get it repaired. There have been a number of people on here that have had engine problems, but that wouldn't scare me away. IMO the car is just too good to pass up.

But it. You won't regret it.

Sponsored

SmalliesRUs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you should! Since day one it's been the nicest car I've ever driven. Have fun!

Bob D.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buying Soon
I sure know how the OP feels.

When I was trying to answer the same question myself, about a new GT versus a GT350, I kept finding posts from GT350 owners saying things like, "well of course you have a problem! Never turn off the engine before all systems are at full operating temperature" and the like. I think the GT350 looks and sounds fantastic (I definitely prefer its front end to that of the current Mustang GT, and what car guy doesn't love its soundtrack) but decided maybe its awesome track car pedigree makes it not the best choice for me. My car will not see any track time, and to me the Coyote seems like it might put up a little better with everyday realities like frequent short trips or quick bursts from a slow roll to change lanes in tight traffic.

That doesn't mean, though, that I don't enjoy reading posts from those who don't track their Shelby's and still love their decision to buy one. I ain't quite plunked down my pennies yet. :)

I also gotta add that I can't agree more with tracktardicus about the benefits of even a single experience of high-performance driving instruction. Years ago I took a two-day class at Road America to help me make a decision about which newer/faster car to buy, and quickly realized that it was "the nut behind the wheel" that was most in need of an upgrade! :blush:

Deleted member 37397

I bought mine a few weeks ago. It was either a GT350, or an older Shelby. Once I sat in the 350, it was game over. I can’t get over the sound of this engine.

SmalliesRUs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I bought mine a few weeks ago. It was either a GT350, or an older Shelby. Once I sat in the 350, it was game over. I can’t get over the sound of this engine.
I am with you- when I drove other cars afterwards I knew the second I sat down it wasn't going to be the same experience.

Did you do anything with your resonator yet?

Sponsored

Deleted member 37397

I am with you- when I drove other cars afterwards I knew the second I sat down it wasn't going to be the same experience.

Did you do anything with your resonator yet?
No I haven’t touched it except I did install the track pack spoiler. I really want to get to know the car before I do anything else. I may just tint the windows and just enjoy the car for what it is. Gonna have to put it away soon for the winter. I really love the sound as is, have not heard one in person with the resonator delete. In fact I hardly ever see any GT 350’s

SmalliesRUs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
No I haven’t touched it except I did install the track pack spoiler. I really want to get to know the car before I do anything else. I may just tint the windows and just enjoy the car for what it is. Gonna have to put it away soon for the winter. I really love the sound as is, have not heard one in person with the resonator delete. In fact I hardly ever see any GT 350’s
Yeah it's pretty rare around here too... Which is cool!

Mine has the Shiftek delete and I gotta say, the sound is pretty sick. The cold start is a bit ridiculous but a lot of snaps and pops put on the road while letting off the gas. The only ride with no mods for me was just a test drive so I didn't get to experience much of it but the delete definitely changes it a good bit. If you are in the category where you "wouldn't change a thing" and it's a perfect exhaust note as is, it might be a bit much but never hurts to see what's out there. I was worried the highway driving might be impacted but closing the valves with the switch turns it into a regular note.

I'll take a clip for you over the winter... It's going to be a long one and I'll be putting her away in time too.

Deleted member 37397

I appreciate the clip when you you get a chance thank you. Have you done anything else? I need to stay off YouTube I’ll be changing the whole car before I know it

Yeah it's pretty rare around here too... Which is cool!

Mine has the Shiftek delete and I gotta say, the sound is pretty sick. The cold start is a bit ridiculous but a lot of snaps and pops put on the road while letting off the gas. The only ride with no mods for me was just a test drive so I didn't get to experience much of it but the delete definitely changes it a good bit. If you are in the category where you "wouldn't change a thing" and it's a perfect exhaust note as is, it might be a bit much but never hurts to see what's out there. I was worried the highway driving might be impacted but closing the valves with the switch turns it into a regular note.

I'll take a clip for you over the winter... It's going to be a long one and I'll be putting her away in time too.

SmalliesRUs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Noah
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Not much else. Just a JLT oil catch can and an Air Raid washable cold air filter.
20180927_162732.jpg
Sponsored