About to but new GT 350- should I do it?

Discussion in 'Shelby GT350 Mustang' started by Stang 19, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Stang 19

Stang 19 Active Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT 350 Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    So, are these ars as reliable as the regular 5.0 in a normal GT? I read the thread with all of the blown up motor problems...omg! Is this common? Any other negatives to consider?

2. Nomadic

Nomadic King of Europe

Vehicle(s):
    Insane Animal
    0   0   0
    I've heard they're reliable but the tend to consume oil. I forget but some consume a quart ever 1500mi or so? Are you going to daily drive it? I know the GT350 is a rough rider and more stiff than a GT PP. I personally wouldn't get one over a GT PP due to the minimal difference in 0-60 times for the extra cost. But if you're going to track it, then yes.

3. lightrules

lightrules Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Odyssey
    0   0   0
    I won't speak for most GT350 owners, but I am not getting a GT350 because of it's 0-60 time. I am also not getting it for track use only. I want one, well, because it's a "Shelby GT350". The looks, the power, the handling, the exhaust sound, the "specialness", etc. That's why I want one. It's just a totally different "class" of car than the 5.0. But that's just my 2c.

AirBusPilot, AV80R, Sc00ter and 9 others like this.
  4. IMDNS

IMDNS Active Member

Vehicle(s):
    GT350
    0   0   0
    About reliability, read that 53-page Blown Engine Thread and make your own decision.
    It has been discussed thoroughly and people still have different opinion.

5. OP
    OP
    Stang 19

Stang 19 Active Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT 350 Lightning Blue
    0   0   0
    Will be a street car only. I’ve had a 2011 GT...horrible suspension, very soft. Last one was a 2017 GT with PP. better, but still sloppy. Is the GT350 the bomb or William I still need to modify to make it feel solid, without corner lean and vertical movements?

6. TheDeadCow

TheDeadCow Just some guy

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    Hot Rod
    Garage Profiles:
    0   0   0
    Consumables like tires, brake pads, etc on the 350 are going to be more expensive than a GT. Since the Voo Doo motor makes almost 25% more power than the coyote, it's most likely less reliable as well by default.

7. tracktardicus

tracktardicus Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350R
    0   0   0
    I suggest and hope that regardless of whether you get the GT350 or not, that you take your high-performance street car to the track at least once, preferably a few or more times, for the following reasons:
    1. You will never be able to even begin to explore the performance capabilities of the GT350 or other comparable performance car safely on the street, without putting yourself or others at risk, unless you take it to a track.
    2. You will learn to drive your high-performance car better and more safely on the street if you have some quality instruction at a track through NASA, Hooked on Driving, Chin, or others.

Bob D., Austinj427 and key01 like this.
  8. Nomadic

Nomadic King of Europe

Vehicle(s):
    Insane Animal
    0   0   0
    Wait, you already have a '19 PP2? Are you trading that in for the GT350?

9. Nomadic

Nomadic King of Europe

Vehicle(s):
    Insane Animal
    0   0   0
    It's better and different. But when you can get a GT rocket for low $30s (and yes, they sound awesome stock), spending an extra $30K on a GT 350 isn't appetizing to many. And I may be in the minority but as good as the GT 350 sounds, I think the exhaust too loud and would be annoying after awhile. That how loud exhausts usually work.

But I value comfort number one so the GT 350 is out of the question anyway. I'd much rather ride around in a base GT.

10. Phenom5.0

Phenom5.0 5.2 ^^^

First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Tech Metallic
    0   0   0
    Sums up why I purchased my GT350.

AV80R likes this.
  11. jvandy50

jvandy50 H3249

First Name:
    jason
    Vehicle(s):
    18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU, 14 FZ09
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    This is the nicest suspension in any mustang i’ve owned. It is really nice for the street IMO and is also selectable.

The reliability and dealer ineptness is why i got rid of mine.

Zcobra1 likes this.
  12. NoXiDe

NoXiDe Member

Vehicle(s):
    Furious
    0   0   0
    I get compliments all the time and it's crazy cause I'm not even looking for them. They always catch me by surprise. I bought the GT350 because of the Engine and how spectacular it sounds when the exhaust is open. My loooord.

13. ameapm2000

ameapm2000 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Genesis
    0   0   0
    just buy it..you won't regret..

14. NoXiDe

NoXiDe Member

Vehicle(s):
    Furious
    0   0   0
    What the guy above me said.

15. rocky5517

rocky5517 Member

First Name:
    sam
    Vehicle(s):
    ford explorer 67 riviera
    0   0   0
    I have an order for a new GT here in North Jersey. The dealer has a cool looking triple black 350 ( 2018) on the showroom floor. They had originally added $5000 over list but the sales manager said " that's really negotiable". I think he meant " We'd drop it". Dealer is Verner Cadby in Fairfield NJ. sales mgr is Kurt/ they're nice people to deal with. I better stop looking at it when I go there. The car looks like it wants to kick someone's ass.

16. madlag

madlag Snake Charmer

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT350R
    0   0   0
    Yes you should. Unless you're going to ignore Ford's guidance and complain to them about the normal oil consumption of a race engine... Don't let the naysayers bother you.

AV80R and J_Maher_AMG like this.
  17. MikeMM

MikeMM Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350- Black, electronics package
    0   0   0
    Having owned both a GT PP and a 350... there's a world of difference. The GT is a fun car that's got some power but it lacks on handling and can't compete on any kind of track. If you're looking for a daily driver and want to have fun and let her eat once in a while, then definitely get a GT. As @TheDeadCow said, tires, brakes, oil, and fuel are going to be a lot less expensive. However, if you want to have something that's out of the ordinary, has a good bit of power, can be tracked and then driven home, handles extremely well, and is a very good platform to build off of that you don't mind dumping a little more cash into, then definitely get a 350. You lose some bells and whistles, but damn it is that car worth the money. Don't let the blown engine thread discourage you. The failures this community has been able to document are pretty minimal in the big picture. I, as well as a good group of other people have had 0 engine issues, and a good chunk of us don't burn any oil at all. The car has other quirks, but what car doesn't? Ultimately it's up to you, but the 350 is worth the price of admission every day of the week.

madlag likes this.
  18. firestarter2

firestarter2 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    RR G350 Track
    0   0   0
    #18 firestarter2, Oct 12, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    How many miles a year do you drive? I find mine comfortable enough to DD and I sit in traffic 3 hours a day. If you never track I don't think you should get a gt350. Honestly it feels fast as speeds you can never do on the street.

Aside from my AC continuously going reliability seems ok.

19. johnny1

johnny1 Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017(convenience pkg. white with blue stripes)
    0   0   0
    I'm a 73 year old fart and as a last hurrah I leased a new 17 for 5 years. Don't plan to ever track it but its right up there with my dog of keeping me stress relieved. I pet and hug the dog and take the Shelby out and put that exhaust in sport mode, play classic rock on the Sync 3 with a flash drive and go like hell down the highway (within the speed limit of course, hee hee) and get the same stress relief from both.

20. Colleton

Colleton Mustang Fan

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT350
    0   0   0
    Get the 350. It handles, drives and feels better than the GT. You lose a bit of low end grunt, but the upper end makes up for it. It's a fantastic car, easily the best Mustang made to date.

I don't track mine. It was my DD for the 1st year of ownership, and is now my weekend fun car. Just below 10K on the odometer now. It burns ~ 1 quart of oil in between oil changes (every 3K miles), so I have no worries about that. I personally believe that the issues with this car are wildly overblown and that people have become a bit hysterical about it. JMO.

madlag likes this.