Sponsored

AAA Study: Gasoline Additive Effectiveness

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
AAA FUEL QUALITY RESEARCH: Proprietary research into the effectiveness of fuel additive packages in commercially-available gasoline

http://newsroom.aaa.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/Fuel-Quality-Full-Report-FINAL-1.pdf

Key Findings:
1. The test engine operated on a TOP TIER gasoline averaged 19 times fewer intake valve deposits than when it was operated on non- TOP TIER gasoline. (based on the ASTM D6201 test - TOP TIER gasoline averaged 34.1mg of deposits per intake valve versus non- TOP TIER average of 660.6mg)

2. Based upon secondary research findings, long-term use of a gasoline without an enhanced additive package can lead to reductions in fuel economy of 2-4%, drivability issues, and increased emissions.

3. In most cases, carbon deposits can be reduced or removed from critical engine components by switching to a gasoline that meets TOP TIER standards.

4. Approximately six in ten drivers (63%) believe there is a difference in the quality of gasoline sold by retailers, yet only (12%) of drivers purchase gasoline based upon its detergent additive package. The primary motivation for choosing a particular gas station is location / convenience (75%), followed closely by the price of the fuel (73%).

5. Most TOP TIER gasolines do not cost significantly more than non-TOP TIER gasoline. The average price difference between the TOP TIER and non-TOP TIER brands surveyed was three cents per gallon over a 12-month period.
Sponsored

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
I understand the anonymity for the test results... but I would like to know what specific gas is associated with each result

buymycar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT base. Roush axleback and frpp xpipe.
I need to start buying chevron for a couple weeks to keep then engine clean. Figure doing a cycle every couple months should work

Jon|3.7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' 3.7 Mustang
i liked the shell with nitro one, i put valero once because i was almost out of gas and my car did not feel right and it was their premium

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I filled up with the new Shell 93 Nitro+ after a few straight tanks of BP 93 yesterday. I only had about 3 miles between the station and work, so I didn't notice much then. However, and I can't state this enough, while I was not expecting/looking for a difference, on my drive home the car was pulling noticeably harder (all while being hotter outside) and the combustion actually sounded better. When you drive it 30+ miles every day, you don't need a dyno to tell you if your car is running better. I say this as a person of science and an engineer. I do not have anything scientific to back this up unfortunately, and am generally skeptical of things of this nature, given the profits involved from successful marketing.

I have generally been a person who just buys any of the top tier gas and is happy. I run 87 on long highway trips (more than 2 hours) just to save a few bucks when the extra performance isn't needed/used. After a somewhat shocking result from yesterday's fill up, I will be sticking with Shell 93 for daily use.
Sponsored