A10 weirdness with new Mach 1

Jstang23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Eruption Green
Not sure about your application then but ones without dipsticks have to be filled at a certain temperature until it come out overflow.

Edit, we are talking automatic transmissions.
All 10 speed transmissions from ford have a dipstick. It is just connected to the fill cap. Not really considered a dipstick but it serves the same purpose. The instructions for filling the A10 transmission involve filling at operating temperature you are correct, but have the level between 4 and 5. If you fill the A10 to where its overflowing you are doing it improperly. Although some dipsticks have letters.
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Matt doesnā€™t know that there are 18 towns named Jasper in the US.
I was referring to Jasper Missouri, or perhaps Georgia or Alabama could qualify as deep south. All of them have plenty of Ford dealers either in town or within 50 miles.

Jasper tx has the worst coverage, it's an hour in every direction to a dealer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
I was referring to Jasper Missouri, or perhaps Georgia or Alabama could qualify as deep south. All of them have plenty of Ford dealers either in town or within 50 miles.

Jasper tx has the worst coverage, it's an hour in every direction to a dealer.
Itā€˜s hard for me to imagine why youā€™d be concerned about which Ford dealer someone chose to visit, given all the relevant content in this thread.

Anyway, so you can rest easy hereā€™s the deal. At one time there was a policy (and very well there could still be) that if a recently delivered car needed ā€œadjustmentsā€ it should go back to the selling dealer. Adjustments are loosely defined as anything covered by PDI or minor things that the originating dealer should have caught but didnā€™t. It makes sense given that this type stuff doesnā€™t pay any warranty time. Whether or not this is still a policy, I see it as a courtesy to a non-selling dealer to not burden him with a problem he didnā€™t have a hand in.

Pretty simple, if it matters.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
You started from a false premise and I was demonstrating there was little to no excuse not to have any of a half dozen local dealers check/fix it.

The oil level is a manufacturer defect and as such is analogous to warranty work which all dealers are obligated to undertake.

Sponsored

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You started from a false premise and I was demonstrating there was little to no excuse not to have any of a half dozen local dealers check/fix it.
Youā€˜re a funny guy.

Like it matters to anyone why I decide where to take my car to have this checked. Tell the truth, I donā€™t think it really even matters to you. From reading your posts it would be easy to get the impression you enjoy being the contrarian. If it makes you feel good, have at it.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP - 2000 Land Cruiser - 2001 Sequoia
I don't know anything about tranmission fluid, but for what it's worth, my 2022 Mach 1 is an automatic and the shifting was a little rough and clunky during the first 1,000 miles or so. So much that I almost took it back to the dealer. Somewhere in the manual it says that it might shift roughly during the break in period... and it did. By about 2,000 miles it seemed to sort itself out. I take mine to HPDE events regularly and it shifts much more crisply in Track mode while on a track (but not when driven normally on the street in Track mode). I've found for street use, leaving it in Normal but putting the shift selector in S stops the transmission from hunting for the right gear. It also doesn't try to get to 10th as quickly as it normally would. Every once in a while I still get some shifts as you described, and I now have about 3,200 miles on it. Last thing to note, if I put it in Sports+ before it's properly warmed up the shifting is rough. It's sort of like it shoves you into the next gear. Given that this tranmission is shared with GM, and I own a GM with that A10 in it, and it shifts just fine, Ford should have programmed this better - but plenty has already been said about that on other threads.
My Mach 1 A10 slips 3rd gear but I'm pretty sure it part of the tuning, instead of dropping into 2nd or 1st it will use the convertor to keep it in third gear and slip to bring just like a manual.

Pretty cool. The Mach 1 was advertised as having a specific tune convertor for the a10, the part numbers are the same but I'm assuming it's all in the tune.

Mine still shifts too hard on the 3-4 shift and also downshifts.

I don't think that is normal.

I also hear a clunk on the down shifts slowing down sometimes.

Almost sounds like it's in the chassis but it seems related to the downshifts.

Some people wouldn't notice.

I'm particular.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
My Mach 1 A10 slips 3rd gear but I'm pretty sure it part of the tuning, instead of dropping into 2nd or 1st it will use the convertor to keep it in third gear and slip to bring just like a manual.
I canā€™t help with your problem but Iā€™m interested - what do you mean it slips to keep it in third just like a manual ?

Cheers,

WD :like:

MPGainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1, 2014 Porsche 911 50th
Mine still shifts too hard on the 3-4 shift and also downshifts.

I don't think that is normal.

I also hear a clunk on the down shifts slowing down sometimes.

Almost sounds like it's in the chassis but it seems related to the downshifts.

Some people wouldn't notice.

I'm particular.
I have the same issue on some of the downshifts some of the time, particularly 3, 2, 1. It sometimes clunks down harshly to second and/or first when coming to a stop, and I donā€™t think itā€™s normal. It does it regardless of mode. When I have it on the track, the downshifts are forceful, but not clunky. Itā€™s what you would expect. The clunky downshifts during street driving seems like poor programming.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
I canā€™t help with your problem but Iā€™m interested - what do you mean it slips to keep it in third just like a manual ?

Cheers,

If you come to a stop sign and roll through at 5 mph it might keep it in 3rd gear, if you lightly accelerate you can see the rpms rise slightly as the convertor isn't locked up yet for 2 seconds or so.

It's like having the clutch half out while accelrating

Uses some engine speed and momentum to accelerate the car

then it will lock up "like the clutch is fully out"

Not super noticeable but im particular

They probably did it because 1st and 2nd gear are pretty short and 3rd gear is good all around gear 5mph to 40 mph etc

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
If you come to a stop sign and roll through at 5 mph it might keep it in 3rd gear, if you lightly accelerate you can see the rpms rise slightly as the convertor isn't locked up yet for 2 seconds or so.

They probably did it because 1st and 2nd gear are pretty short and 3rd gear is good all around gear 5mph to 40 mph etc
I now understand what you are saying, but who the hell would slip the clutch, in a manual, in third gear, whilst accelerating ā€¦ ?

Isnā€™t that what second gear is for ā€¦ ?

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Im glad to know that Iā€™m not the only one whoā€˜s A10 does this. Actually both of mine do it. To get the thing to downshift into first you have to come to a complete dead stop and hold it a millisecond or two, otherwise it stays in third. It does this in any and all of the drive modes and it irritates the crap out of me. Until I recently got my second A10 V-8 Mustang I thought there might be something wrong with the tranny. But it shifted so beautifully at WOT with no other hiccups I was just gonna let it slide.

Teezlr

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.JakeTiesler.com
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
I now understand what you are saying, but who the hell would slip the clutch, in a manual, in third gear, whilst accelerating ā€¦ ?

Isnā€™t that what second gear is for ā€¦ ?

If youā€™re on a dirt bike you can manipulate the clutch like this, you mostly only do it on a drift car initiating a slide or when taking off from a dead stop lol

Right, you wouldnā€™t do it in a manual in 3rd although Iā€™ve done a little slippy slippy in second to keep it from bogging - just gotta be careful and not smoke it up
Sponsored