Sponsored

A word of advice

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
normally rapid pressing of the Start / Stop button will shut the engine down no matter what the speed it and some manufacturers have it so a 2 second press of the Start/Stop button will shut the engine down. Why the fck they didn't stick with the bloody key and it would be simple as er turning a key.

The power steering will turn off the electric motor to save the battery i would guess?
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
normally rapid pressing of the Start / Stop button will shut the engine down no matter what the speed it and some manufacturers have it so a 2 second press of the Start/Stop button will shut the engine down.
Did you try it ?

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Did you try it ?
haven't yet. Either neither had a quiet enough section of road or a had a passenger that's not fond of such activities. Maybe give it a prod tomorrow... still got the mechanical warranty lol

OP
OP

Glenn 70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
1970 mach 1 mustang
A lot of armchair heros, remember that this happened from 115 MPH to 120 MPH. That isn't much time and it's quite a bit of ground covered. And a Coyote running at full tilt will definitely overcome the brakes, that's how you do burnouts. OP handled a non-familiar scenario very quickly and well since he avoided the sandbox. He certainly didn't have time to rationalize the effects of timing chain stretch vs the replacement cost of the front end.
Thank you 👍 I did the best I could at the time , all this was happening in a few seconds and at night , so I couldn’t see anything including inside the car or floor . I didn’t know the floor mat had slipped over the pedal ,all I knew was the car was still pulling hard at 120 mph . You have to remember I had less than maybe 4 seconds at maybe 120 mph To work out how to stop the car . I had passed the finish line before I knew what was going on .

Last edited:

MIDLYFE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Convertible
Holy crap. Sweating just thinking about this. Think I'll stick with the factory floor mats. Aftermarket floor mats are far too busy for my taste anyway.

Sponsored

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
normally rapid pressing of the Start / Stop button will shut the engine down no matter what the speed it and some manufacturers have it so a 2 second press of the Start/Stop button will shut the engine down. Why the fck they didn't stick with the bloody key and it would be simple as er turning a key.

The power steering will turn off the electric motor to save the battery i would guess?
Did you try it ?
ok so had a chance to test this.
UK RHD MY17 manual @40mph
Test 1:
straight road driving clutch in and reach for the Start/Stop button and press and hold for 2 maybe 3 seconds (didn't seem long at all) - engine shuts down, gauges go out and alarm full / internal selection showing on the screen. Clutch still down so hit the Start/Stop button and engine fired up no issue and popped into 5th gear and carried on

Test 2:
straight road driving clutch in and reach for the Start/Stop button and press it rapidly 3 times (sure it was 3 not 2) - engine shuts down, gauges go out and alarm full / internal selection showing on the screen. Clutch still down so hit the Start/Stop button and engine fired up no issue and popped into 5th gear and carried on

So yeah you can shut the engine off while still moving and no warning symbol on dash after either test. I will have to plug in the OBDC dongle and see if there's any info / warning stored for it but certainly nothing showing on the dash to indicate a problem of any kind

CJJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT/CS Convertible - Race Red
What did the steering wheel feel like when the motor shut down?

Thanks for the testing!

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
ok so had a chance to test this.
UK RHD MY17 manual @40mph
Test 1:
straight road driving clutch in and reach for the Start/Stop button and press and hold for 2 maybe 3 seconds (didn't seem long at all) - engine shuts down, gauges go out and alarm full / internal selection showing on the screen. Clutch still down so hit the Start/Stop button and engine fired up no issue and popped into 5th gear and carried on

Test 2:
straight road driving clutch in and reach for the Start/Stop button and press it rapidly 3 times (sure it was 3 not 2) - engine shuts down, gauges go out and alarm full / internal selection showing on the screen. Clutch still down so hit the Start/Stop button and engine fired up no issue and popped into 5th gear and carried on

So yeah you can shut the engine off while still moving and no warning symbol on dash after either test. I will have to plug in the OBDC dongle and see if there's any info / warning stored for it but certainly nothing showing on the dash to indicate a problem of any kind
Thanks for doing the test. Good to know. We should add a "In case of an emergency" sticky thread and put good stuff like this in it.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
So how does a floor mat have enough weight to it to keep the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor - am I missing something?

I've pulled and put my factory driver floor mat right up on and over the pedal assembly and it's not heavy enough to mash and retain the pedal to the floor at all.

Not doubting the OP, just wondering if something else was an obstruction.

Sponsored

friedmud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
So how does a floor mat have enough weight to it to keep the accelerator pedal pressed to the floor - am I missing something?

I've pulled and put my factory driver floor mat right up on and over the pedal assembly and it's not heavy enough to mash and retain the pedal to the floor at all.

Not doubting the OP, just wondering if something else was an obstruction.
It's not about weight - it's about leverage. When your accelerator is all the way in it is pushing "back" horizontally to the floor. If the lip of the floor mat gets up on it then... then the whole amount of friction of the floor mat (the tiny teeth they usually have on the bottom) is pushing on the end of the accelerator.

Do your test again, but push your accelerator pedal in all the way first (with the car off obviously!) and then pull the floor mat up and pin the pedal.

BTW: The little hooks that keep the floor mat in place don't _keep_ this from happening. The edge of the floor mat can still come up and keep the accelerator from completely returning. However, since the mat is held in place you can fix this situation by just pushing the accelerator down further (to pull the mat off the pedal) and then you can release it again.

Just thought I would point out that it's not only an issue with aftermarket mats or those which don't catch on the hooks.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
It can also be the stiffness of the carpet, with it on the pedal there isn't enough force to bend the carpet up for the pedal to return.

I once accidently pinned a customer's throttle with their house carpet sample scrap floor mats. Thankfully I noticed when I fired it up before just slapping it in gear to back out of the garage but that was still an oh-shit moment. A mid 90's Suburban suddenly reaching redline is not a healthy sound by the way.

Pittpa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 6MT
My friend got in her car at the car wash exit. Unbeknownst to her, the attendant had unknowingly trapped the pedal under the floor mat and the engine was racing already. She could not hear it due to the noise of the car wash. She put it in drive and promptly drove it into a hillside. Luckily it was not pointed at the busy street.

bloominguez

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'95 Integra, '09 335i, '94 VFR, '04 SV
Check your shifter but normally you can simply shove it forward (no button) and it will refuse to advance further into R.
Completely agree. I've been genuinely amazed, over the course of my life, at how people don't notice that you can just push the shifter from Drive to Neutral, no button press. Quickest way to get out of trouble. It's almost as if they designed it that way. ;)

Having said that, the better answer is to get the manual and press the clutch. :)
Sponsored