A tree downloaded a rotten limb on my 2019 GT350

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350 (sold)
You have to get the right paint codes, to get the proper mix. I don’t think a Chevy place can get access to Ford paint codes. I scraped the LFG a while back, Koons in Falls Church fixed it and he told me that that were two codes for LFG and he had to look at my VIN and production date to get the right one.
Body shops have access to paint codes, period!
Matters not if said body shop is owned by a Chevrolet franchise dealership.
Paint codes are just a starting point. Sometimes they are spot on, sometimes a lot of work has to be done to match. There are many variables depending on paint.
I worked in the industry for a while and speaking to some brilliant painters taught me nothing is just that simple. Some colors can be pretty complex. Different primer colors, under base colors, tinted clear coats etc.
This is one of the reasons we pay more for premium paint selections. Pearls, pigments etc can be very expensive additives to paint, not to mention additional labor involved for each extra step.
All of the above has come up in past posts but it doesn’t hurt to bring it up again.
I had a buddy I worked with years ago who was the top in his field in paintless dent repair. Aluminum stretches and doesn’t have the memory like sheet metal.
Maybe someone has developed different processes by now, I don’t know.
Sponsored

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
Yea, OK, it was about six small dents. One here:\
2019Damage.JPG

One on the roof was deeper. This is one near the rear spoiler was near the rear deck lid and the angle that goes near down the fender. It may be harder to push out?

No paint issues but a half-dozen of small dents. I may never take it for the insurance since the car will have more issues with the upcoming track use. For sure.

2019GT350.JPG

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
A decent dentless tech can get those out no problem. Then a slight cut with some mild compound should take care of the rest. That would be in the 250-350 range here. Some have brought up there being an issue with the body being aluminum. That’s a non-issue with what your dealing with. Track use or nit I’d have to get it fixed. Lol. I don’t think I’d run that through insurance just because I’d rather there wasn’t anything on the car, that’s of course that there wasn’t any previous issue reported.

Yea, OK, it was about six small dents. One here:\
2019Damage.JPG

One on the roof was deeper. This is one near the rear spoiler was near the rear deck lid and the angle that goes near down the fender. It may be harder to push out?

No paint issues but a half-dozen of small dents. I may never take it for the insurance since the car will have more issues with the upcoming track use. For sure.

2019GT350.JPG

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
..A decent dentless tech can get those out no problem. Then a slight cut with some mild compound should take care of the rest. That would be in the 250-350 range here....
Good advice. I think I'll just let it be rather than do the "taking it to a Chevy guy".

My plan is is to be careful until the factory warranty expires. If it works as well then, it's due for some serious track time.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If they do collision work they have access to paint codes. There is a thing called a collision pack. Small quantities of premixed paint colors, ruffly enough to do a fender, door, and so on.

But the aluminum body panels do require a special set of hammers and dollies. The reason is if a panel requires welding (tig). A tool used on steel could contaminate the aluminum.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Decosse

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver Cyclone 051a 3.55
It'll be hard to see in photos, but I did have a dent repair on my hood-according to a neighbor, some adolescents were parkouring on the hoods of cars. Mine ended up with the front of one of those raised "spears" crunched into the hood, leaving a crescent dent. The PDR guys did a really good job, I have a hard time finding it even inches away at any angle.
The metallic paint makes it hard to see, but here are photos:

Before

mustang hood 1.jpg

After:

Mustang hood 2.jpg

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
It'll be hard to see in photos, but I did have a dent repair on my hood-according to a neighbor, some adolescents were parkouring on the hoods of cars. Mine ended up with the front of one of those raised "spears" crunched into the hood, leaving a crescent dent. The PDR guys did a really good job, I have a hard time finding it even inches away at any angle.
The metallic paint makes it hard to see, but here are photos:

Before

mustang hood 1.jpg

After:

Mustang hood 2.jpg
Excellent fix, for the issue. It looks great.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
It's still not fixed but safely parked inside the State Farm-sponsored body shop.

The hood was a problem to fix so a new hood was installed (just a small dent). There was a deeper dent on the roof which couldn't be fixed with taping out the dent. The rear window was removed and heat was applied to the dent to soften it up before straightening it. The window is still not installed.

The car is not ready. I still pay the $500 deductible and the last bill sent to State Farm was $6000+. It happened over 3 months ago.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn ! what fun............... not

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with me. The body-shop is doing their best work to get it done right for the newer 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 situation status among the other cars. :wink:

It's good, and I would never cancel Comp coverage over Collision coverage.

Sponsored

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
I called Jake from State Farm who said I need to take the car to my local body shop (it was a Chevy shop). Jake doesn't have insurance adjusters anymore as they hired Aaron Rogers (Packer's QB) to sell us lower service for higher premiums.

2019GT350.jpg

No claims in 10+ years. Yet, I have to go to a Chevy dealer to fix my GT350 car?
You don’t have to do anything. You can choose to have your car repaired wherever you want. Insurance 101.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t have to do anything. You can choose to have your car repaired wherever you want. Insurance 101.
I said SF sent me to Body Shop #1 . It was a Chevy Shop and they had no clue.

I called SF claims and said that that I needed another body shop. It was the next one that had Mustang owners. It is awesome guys that understand Mustangs with a plus on the recent Shelby GT350.

I'll post up pictures as the wrecked ShelbyGT50 is shown as fixed.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No problem with me. The body-shop is doing their best work to get it done right for the newer 2019 Mustang Shelby GT350 situation status among the other cars. :wink:

It's good, and I would never cancel Comp coverage over Collision coverage.
\

I agree all good have things done right and done once, and that will take time.

I was just surprised at the difficulty of the situation of it all.

OP
OP
95CobraR

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
It is not insurance things. It is contractors within the supply chains and other service providers. The dent removable guy was late as well the window guy. The parts chain is broken.

Those other guys are late due to to much demand and should be payed more for their expert services. They certainly need more wages.

My shop also worked hard to get the GT350 finished and back to me!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Being late, LOL I've learned now living here that's the GA way, and if really lucky will show up. Not all but the percentages are still there.

The shop turns out a good finish, is all that matters.

The time it takes is all part of the cost = inconvenience, just life in the fast lane 2022.

The focus, the end game :thumbsup:
Sponsored