Sponsored

A Tale of Two Launches

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Dang I didnt realize the trunk in the Camero was so small. That sort of kills it for people who can only justify having one car. Well that and the price.

In the styling dept, I think the extra high door sills are one reason why I never considered the Camero to be an attractive car. The Mustang still feels like a 'normal' sports car.

This is my first Mustang. I didnt even think to test drive a Camero. I didn't even check the price or horsepower. No interest, zero. Wrote off that car years ago on body style alone. I shopped used BMWs and Porsche tho.

Oh and performance numbers that come mainly from the manufacturers choice in rubber or shocks/struts/swaybars dont impress me, Im probably going to mod those things anyway. Yay for Chevy if the Camero comes out of the box with flatter handling around a track or higher skidpad numbers. Thats all easily fixed.

I do want to keep my powertrain warranty tho and I want a great engine. This wasnt my first fast car, so I had a good idea how much engine I needed to have 'enough' fun on the street. Hellcats or 600hp Cameros are neat, but eventually the feeling wears off and even the fastest car doesnt feel 'fast' anymore. You get used to it. the GT is plenty fast. there will *always* be something faster.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
It's simple people who drive also have the gift of sight
Congratulations! You win the Internets for today! Heck, take the whole week! :lol:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The 2015 Mustang was a huge change by comparison and brought in all sorts of buyers who would have never considered a Mustang before.
True.

Even though I've had a few Mustangs (see my sig), I admit to being a little awestruck when I saw a silver S550 GTPP at a new car show in early 2014. After I saw it and walked around it a couple of times, I was making plans for parting with my beloved '09 Bullitt before I left the convention center. I was smitten, and that's one of very few instances where I saw a new car and wanted it immediately.

That's what a manufacturer wants in a new offering. The new Camaro blew it in terms of styling IMO, which is a shame since it sounds like a phenomenal car based on what I've read.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Think about it. What was the next generation team camaro (supposing one existed after watching "A Faster Horse") thinking in creating a refreshed car with only subtle changes in looks exterior and interior. Also with what looks like a priority in weight savings and horsepower. If I were a 2015 camaro owner it would have been a tremendous let down after witnessing ford completely remake the ford mustang and hoping my chevy brand would do the same for camaro. What a failure it must feel like to be in the team camaro marketing and/or product development dept.

Dannyho

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium PP DIB
For me, I remember looking at a camaro at the same time I first checked out the mustang at the 2014 NY auto show. I popped the trunk and looked at the porthole sized opening and immediately threw it out of the running. I use my car a lot and sometimes put large items in the trunk. I think chevy may have made it a little bigger in the 2016 model, but judging by pictures I've seen not by much. the corvette would be significantly more practical for me with the rear hatch. Plus the dash still looks like it was designed by Michael Bay.

Sponsored

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
True.

Even though I've had a few Mustangs (see my sig), I admit to being a little awestruck when I saw a silver S550 GTPP at a new car show in early 2014. After I saw it and walked around it a couple of times, I was making plans for parting with my beloved '09 Bullitt before I left the convention center. I was smitten, and that's one of very few instances where I saw a new car and wanted it immediately.

That's what a manufacturer wants in a new offering. The new Camaro blew it in terms of styling IMO, which is a shame since it sounds like a phenomenal car based on what I've read.
Same for me, I've always been a Japanese turbo car guy. I've owned 3 skylines and 2 Supras. The first time I saw an S550 in the Metal outside the PX last year, I knew I would buy one, I had even resigned myself to getting the V8 and possibly growing a mullet until I went online and found out about the Ecoboost,and that it was $7k cheaper! I literally called the dealer on base and specced it out less than 15 minutes after I found out it existed,

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Don't forget that Mustang went worldwide and Camaro is still stateside. This alone will impact sales numbers.
Most sales statistics don't account for foreign sales.
Sponsored