Sponsored

A screw in tire every six months - what's with that?

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Is it completely impressing to show up to a track and ask to just test Line Lock couple of times and leave? How much a 16 seconds of Line Lock reduces the tire anyway?
Bring a tread depth gauge and do some testing to find out. 😄
Sponsored

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
More road debris because people suck these days. I would be willing to bet I have never dropped a nail or screw in the road, but I sure as hell have done my share of picking them up. Who's responsible for this crap getting on the road in the first place?
The contractors minons , and the scrap guys.
A buddies old f-truck has a full width mud flap that goes from one bed side to the other, and hangs about 1.5" off the ground.
He installed magnets at the bottom of it, it picks up a lot of nails ans screws and such.
Next time you are at Lowes or h/d or a lumber yard, take a peak in the contractors truck beds, there will be screws and nails just rolling around in them.
Slowly making there way to the ground and some ones tire.
Putting on my tin foil hat, it's the tire shops, dropping boxes of nails ,screws lol. I know crazy right.
A few years ago, a bunch of vehicles windows would get smashed, they finally caught the guy, want to guess what he did for a living, 3 guesses the first 2 don't count.

accel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP
Thank you for the replies. Clearly not alone in this.
I have 3 cars (different drivers) at the same time on average. Some go, and some replacements come.

Each of my cars on average gets 1-3 screws per a set of tires.

I'm not sure what's going on.

I am using tire plug kits like pro.

P.S. I even got into a folowing situation- my rear tire got something on a freeway. Lost presure and I felt some vibration. I realized I needed to start changing lines and go to the curb. Before I managed to do that I heard loud BOOM, saw white dense cloud in my rear view mirror, almost lost control over a car, but managed to get to the curb. The whole tire was missing. It was in the middle of nowhere literally. Places where you could see signs like "next gas station is in 75 miles". All my cars have a spare ever since.

Last edited:

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
Build a little road side plug kit with nitrogen canisters or C02 cartridges and the needle adapter. I find being prepared intimidates bad luck...

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have to agree with Crowd Hunter. More garbage on the roads these days than at any time since I've been driving. Up until 10 yrs ago or so I NEVER had a flat. Since then I've averaged one a year. Multiple vehicles. Nails, screws, scrap sheet metal, etc. I've driven over full garbage bags that have fallen off ... something. I've even driven over a pair of hoods that fell off a car hauler. The garbage bags and hoods were in rush hour traffic where there was no gap in traffic and I never saw the obstacles until they were already under the car.

There may be something to the compound/size argument but I don't believe it. It may be due to the depth of the tread on the performance tires but this car and a Jag I owned earlier this year are the only ones I ever had with with performance tires. The other cars I now get flats with regularly had/have typical all season touring tires or truck tires.

It might be worth researching the belt material and number of layers to see if it has any bearing on flats. I doubt it but ya never know...

Deleted member 35644

Construction crews are just tossing open boxes of screws and nails into the backs of their trucks, or onto the rickshaw trailers they're dragging behind them. Acceleration, cornering and bumps just toss it all onto the roadway, for us to get pulled out of our tires later.
Sponsored