Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
See, that's the issue, Tob. I've been using Illustrator's main competitor, CorelDraw, for decades so I'm quite familiar with 2D illustrations.

The problem is two fold...3D and rendering, both are complex subjects and while you can do some 3D work in PS, it's not even close to the same.

Unfortunately, 2D illustration software such as Illustrator and CorelDraw, can't do either of the above two functions.

Thanks for the thought, though.

PS. Your Instagram Illustrator guy is VERY good and, very patient...those are incredibly complex drawings, especially the car.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Yeah, I'm not talking about PS. Illustrator can be better than CAD when it comes to sketching. From Drawonce...

69878656_1630418577092241_8741305896288231902_n.jpg

I use Solidworks and have rendered plenty. You have nowhere near the artistic freedom in CAD and the curve is huge.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Solidworks is well-known and used by many so I'm sure it's a solid application. (no pun intended.) :-)

CorelDraw also advertised its ability to do drawings like you posted, Tob. Basically, the same apps, just different software houses.

And roger on this not being PS...now we're talking pixels, not points and lines. :-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Patrick: Like most I suppose, I have not viewed all of SM's clips and those interest me so I will have a searchski, thanks.
I am also a fan of Chris's work. I know there is dislike for Stangmode, but Chris was featured in a few videos about the GT500 design process.... good content.
Here's one.......Woodward Dream Cruise 2018. At just before the 4 minute mark, this was the first time I'd heard any "official" mention of S650......Chris confirms he's working on it. He also discusses the Bullitt and other Mustangs parked up in Mustang Alley.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Many thanks, Paul and that's the SM I remember from when I first started watching. Great clip with lots of info from Chris.

Now I crack up at all the "guessed renderings" and the one above is no exception but back then, who knew but a few, right? :-)

Thanks again.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Crazy that the guy who's sketch the car is based on cannot afford the car. Not like we are talking about designing the space shuttle, it's a Mustang and he cannot own one. Crazy.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My father once said to me "son, life is all about the choices you make."

I'm sure there are others that make less money than Chris that have managed to buy a 2020 GT500 while still living comfortably and paying their bills each month. If Chris really wanted one he'd have one.

PortalMaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Lexus IS300 AWD
See, that's the issue, Tob. I've been using Illustrator's main competitor, CorelDraw, for decades so I'm quite familiar with 2D illustrations.

The problem is two fold...3D and rendering, both are complex subjects and while you can do some 3D work in PS, it's not even close to the same.

Unfortunately, 2D illustration software such as Illustrator and CorelDraw, can't do either of the above two functions.

Thanks for the thought, though.

PS. Your Instagram Illustrator guy is VERY good and, very patient...those are incredibly complex drawings, especially the car.
It's not easy. Been trying to get reacquainted with Maya now that I'm home. Haven't touched 3D in years. Fumbling my way through the program while attempting to model a GR Supra - figured it'd be a good challenge with all the strange/interesting curves the vehicle has. I think the most challenging part will be the texturing and rendering... as I don't remember much of that stuff. But I'll worry about that when I'm closer to finishing the model.
a90_01.jpg

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
In the US a guy like him cannot afford a GT500 because of student debt. In Europe, where education in most countries is almost free, a guy like him cannot afford a GT500 because the car is taxed so high it costs double of what it costs in the US. Funny world.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
In the US a guy like him cannot afford a GT500 because of student debt. In Europe, where education in most countries is almost free, a guy like him cannot afford a GT500 because the car is taxed so high it costs double of what it costs in the US. Funny world.
So true. However, I think the irony is that the quy who played such a huge role in designing its appearance can't afford it...

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
My father once said to me "son, life is all about the choices you make."

I'm sure there are others that make less money than Chris that have managed to buy a 2020 GT500 while still living comfortably and paying their bills each month. If Chris really wanted one he'd have one.
Perhaps the choice is to pay down debt before incurring more debt. May simply be a disciplined young man. Many others would benefit from his example...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose everyone makes their own financial decisions as they see fit. Being disciplined is a choice and if he is, he'll get what he wants.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I suppose everyone makes their own financial decisions as they see fit. Being disciplined is a choice and if he is, he'll get what he wants.
Assuming that's the case, it's refreshing to see someone who doesn't compromise for the sake of "instant gratification." Still sad that college costs so much though--different story altogether.

Just hope he keeps sketching...

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had to pay my way like many others and it wasn't easy for four years of undergrad and three of graduate. It was insanely expensive for us too.

Thankfully, we had Fox bodies back then and an LX HO five liter coupe was reasonable.:)
Sponsored