Sponsored

Updated 3/27/2021 & 5/5/2022 - A look at the 2020 GT500 and exhaust system valves

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Another member who participated the Track Attack just recently was told to use Liquid Wrench. This was an tech with Ford Performance@ track attack. I thought one would prefer WD-40 tho.
Which variant of LW? Lubricating Oil or Penetrating Oil? Or another?

Tyler2386

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
What the Ford tech says is consistent with what an engineer with Quik Time electric exhaust cutouts (for the '12-'13 Boss 302's) told me as well. He said that Liquid Wrench is the preferred lubricant for the butterfly shafts in their motorized cutout systems because WD 40 doesn't stand up to the heat generated in an exhaust system.
Which variant of Lw? Penetrating Oil or Lubricating Oil?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
how long did it take for the exhaust to break in? Few friends drove behind me and said it stunk pretty bad. I got out to take a sniff and its actually really nasty. Last few cars I've had were broken in around 500 miles, this one seems to be taking longer - wonder if the active exhaust has anything to do with it
Take the next statement FWIW. Is documented in Fords shop manual .

Problem, car exhaust stinks.
Suggestion & trouble shoot; suggest changing the fuel brand.

Sponsored

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Need some help from those that have dealt with this issue. Ive replaced the actuators, I have no visibly melted wires or exposed wires around the connectors and the heat-wrap on the harness from what I can tell looks fine. My exhaust constantly cycles you'll hear it sometimes cycle the valves 3-4 times even when the car has been sitting. The Active exhaust works fine if you remote start the car but doesn't work if you use the push to start. Anyone have any ideas?

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Need some help from those that have dealt with this issue. Ive replaced the actuators, I have no visibly melted wires or exposed wires around the connectors and the heat-wrap on the harness from what I can tell looks fine. My exhaust constantly cycles you'll hear it sometimes cycle the valves 3-4 times even when the car has been sitting. The Active exhaust works fine if you remote start the car but doesn't work if you use the push to start. Anyone have any ideas?
the valves moving is normal I believe. Mine turn out maybe 1-2 times an hour every hour. I think it’s to do with them not rusting.

as of not working with remote start, if you you remote start, then turn it on it won’t let you change it? Or are you trying to change it in the remote start state? If it’s the later you can’t do anything while in remove start other than start the car.

Sponsored

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1

Alex.Envy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
oh, lol. Ever since I got mine it would randomly turn on the exhaust valves while the car is parked and off. Always thought it was normal.... It lasts maybe 1-2 seconds and they just open and close.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
At this point I feel like I have been waiting for my car longer than I have actually had it, but luckily I have not experienced any actuator issues. That said, when I got my car and put it up on my lift, I did not like how the harness were run at the mullfler area so I unplugged and re-routed them. I can not say that this is the reason why I have not (knock on wood) had any issues, but it's worth the look, and the time it takes to reroute them. Now that I think about it, I also covered the silver heat shield sheathing with electrical tape because I did not like the way the silver was visible through the rear diffuser mesh.

Also, I wonder how many of the first batch of cars have had the issue? It seem to me that it has been the later built cars that are having this happen.

Last edited:

19gtaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT, PP1 and 2021 Mach 1
At this point I feel like I have been waiting for my car linger than I have actually had the car, but luckily I have not experienced any actuator issues. That said, when I got my car and put it up on my lift, I did not like how the harness were run at the mullfler area so I unplugged and re-routed them. I can not say that this is the reason why I have not (knock on wood) had any issues, but it's worth the look, and the time it takes to reroute them to re-rout them. Now that I think about it, I also covered the silver heat shield sheathing with electrical tape because I did not like the way the silver was visible through the rear diffuser mesh.

Also, I wonder how many of the first batch of cars have had the issue? It seem to me that it has been the later built cars that are having this happen.
I checked mine and nothing was touching but oh so close so I rerouted mine on the passenger side. 5 minute job really.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
At this point I feel like I have been waiting for my car linger than I have actually had the car, but luckily I have not experienced any actuator issues. That said, when I got my car and put it up on my lift, I did not like how the harness were run at the mullfler area so I unplugged and re-routed them. I can not say that this is the reason why I have not (knock on wood) had any issues, but it's worth the look, and the time it takes to reroute them to re-rout them. Now that I think about it, I also covered the silver heat shield sheathing with electrical tape because I did not like the way the silver was visible through the rear diffuser mesh.

LOL that is exactly something I would do :thumbsup:
Sponsored