Sponsored

Updated 3/27/2021 & 5/5/2022 - A look at the 2020 GT500 and exhaust system valves

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
400 series stainless shouldn't be called stainless. It rusts and corodes. 300 series stainless is much more corosion resistant (marine grade) but is much more expensive.

I wonder what the weight difference between the two is?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
300 series is austenitic, non-magnetic. It is composed of among other things, nickel and has extreme resistance to corrosion.
400 series is ferritic, magnetic. Not as corrosion resistant as a 300 series stainless and typically less expensive too.

Weight is negligible between the two in a typical exhaust system.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
300 series is austenitic, non-magnetic. It is composed of among other things, nickel and has extreme resistance to corrosion.
400 series is ferritic, magnetic. Not as corrosion resistant as a 300 series stainless and typically less expensive too.

If anyone is interested, here’s the various Stainless Steel Grade comparisons (good info):
https://www.pennstainless.com/resources/product-information/stainless-grades/

Looking at the Borla vs the stock Ford systems from merely a picture, it would appear that the Borla is a heavier unit.

Does anyone have actual weight figures for either system?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

What? Is there an echo in here?

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Are the actuators on the GT500 still made by Kuster (as with the GT350)?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the GT350 actuators said Kuster right on them but these don't. These are more compact as well.

chief_charlie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Lots of late-model Mustangs
Another member who participated the Track Attack just recently was told to use Liquid Wrench. This was an tech with Ford Performance@ track attack. I thought one would prefer WD-40 tho.
What the Ford tech says is consistent with what an engineer with Quik Time electric exhaust cutouts (for the '12-'13 Boss 302's) told me as well. He said that Liquid Wrench is the preferred lubricant for the butterfly shafts in their motorized cutout systems because WD 40 doesn't stand up to the heat generated in an exhaust system.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've used them all. If you are looking for a pure penetrant, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench work very well, I dare say a bit better than WD40. If your system freezes up completely I'd absolutely be using one of these two. I used WD40 in this example because it displaces water well and lubricates. The condensation in these exhaust systems is ridiculous, especially on a cold startup, and I can see the lower portion of the butterfly shaft fighting a constant battle here. I believe there are advantages to using one of these over the other but it depends on what you are trying to do.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've used them all. If you are looking for a pure penetrant, PB Blaster and Liquid Wrench work very well, I dare say a bit better than WD40. If your system freezes up completely I'd absolutely be using one of these two. I used WD40 in this example because it displaces water well and lubricates. The condensation in these exhaust systems is ridiculous, especially on a cold startup, and I can see the lower portion of the butterfly shaft fighting a constant battle here. I believe there are advantages to using one of these over the other but it depends on what you are trying to do.
I've never had mine lock up even once. Car only has 5500ish miles though. Am I in the minority?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've seen zero data on the matter. Just an occasional complaint that sometimes points to a valve that is sticking. I'm not a Facebook fan but I have seen a few 2020 GT500 complaints regarding the system along with mention of damaged harnesses and blown fuses. My sense is that it is typically higher mileage cars that see valves sticking and I think this mirrors what GT350 owners have seen.

Sponsored

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I got 30K, no issues yet either but I did spray LW on it for shits and giggles.

Enzo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Enzo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
interested in selling your gt500 stock exhaust?

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My stock system is back in place save for the resonators I removed.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I wonder if they are the same as the GT active exhaust actuators. I went through a ordeal with them and Corsa valves ( not Corsa fault, the 2 step with the valve closed bent the butterfly and would set to far back causing a fault in the system) they replaced them and then we figured it out. But had spent hours playing with the OEM valves, Magnaflow and Corsa valves also trying to figure out the problem.
B5C4B75B-D813-4B88-9E28-E14CF2AEC46C.jpeg
21F69993-79CE-4151-B0CF-7B97E9AC2702.jpeg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Thomas: Three quick and easy questions if you don't mind and one of them could be answered by anyone who knows the answer: <smile>

1) Is there a hidden meaning to your screen name or does "gixxersixxerman" translate? :-)

2) I've done silver, turquoise, and gold jewelry fabrication in my younger years so I immediately noticed what I presume is your wedding band. In any case, I'm curious about the materials used in construction.

3) For everyone...what function does the "spring" in the valve actuator accomplish that a fixed shaft would not? Does the spring assist the actuator motor or is it more for shock absorbing purposes? Just curious...
Sponsored