Sponsored

A little give and take

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
This is not another machE thread.

I'm just thinking here if Ford took the mustang name and pony for the mach e then perhaps Ford would be willing to give the next gt one of the machE electric motors. Think about it. If the top end machE can do 0-60 in 3ish seconds. Imagine that torque with a V8. It's all I've ever wanted in a car.

I think in reality Ford would pair it to an i4 ecoboost or v6 but I can wish right? I'm starting to think this new relationship could actually have positive benefits for us diehard mustang fans.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, Ford did patent this.........a V8 with electric motors. Will this be what the Mustang hybrid uses? Who knows, but it seems many think the hybrid will be a V8.

ford-hybrid-patent-application-ogi.jpg

Another option is a setup like the new hybrid Lincoln Aviator. That has 494hp and 630lb ft of torque using batteries and the 3 litre Ecoboost V6. The "stock" Aviator has 400hp and 415lb ft. If they really do base the hybrid Mustang on the V8, you're talking potentially 550hp and 620lb ft of torque!

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
My speculation - 2021 Mach 1 = first hybrid Mustang = 5.0L V8 + electric motors in front = more low- and mid-range torque which a throwback to the 428 Cobra Jet engine days with a higher torque powerplant

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
My speculation - 2021 Mach 1 = first hybrid Mustang = 5.0L V8 + electric motors in front = more low- and mid-range torque which a throwback to the 428 Cobra Jet engine days with a higher torque powerplant
I'd welcome that. It would also tie Mach 1 to Mach E.....both having electrification. The thought of circa 600 lb/ft is mouthwatering!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Well, Ford did patent this.........a V8 with electric motors. Will this be what the Mustang hybrid uses? Who knows, but it seems many think the hybrid will be a V8.

ford-hybrid-patent-application-ogi.jpg

That's a funny looking oil pan. :giggle:

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I'd welcome that. It would also tie Mach 1 to Mach E.....both having electrification.
That's another reason why my speculation went this way.

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
I reckon the next gen Mustang will be Electric. If is has a V8 it will be US only and even then probably a hybrid. Ford will not sell a V8 Mustang in Europe after 2021

Ford will not use a unique platform for the Mustang as they did with the S550 so it will share with one of the other platforms. Ford will not design a new platform without it being EV compliant. Ford are working with VW on battery technology now as well as potential platform sharing. Car makers need to use as few platforms as possible to keep costs under control. Quite possibly it will be based on the new C2 platform used by the Focus and Kuga (Escape) and Mach E (modified C2). If not, then maybe the CD6 which is a much bigger platform but neither currently house a V8??

Either way the Mustang is not a big seller compared to more mainstream Ford's so I would expect them to park development for a few years and keep the current S550 going until they can see the way the wind is blowing.

5-OH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
My open letter to Ford:

Let me preface by saying the name ā€œMustangā€ belongs to Ford legally, however the American icon belongs to Us (the Mustang enthusiast). We as enthusiast made the idea of Mustang, the icon it is today. This is exactly the problem I have with Ford using the name ā€œMustangā€ on a plain Jane boring suv, that happens to be electric. The word Mustang at least to Us and the enthusiast that came before us, invokes a sense of freedom. The very word harkens back to the days of the Wild West when wild mustangs roamed the untamed countryside.

We all bought Fordā€™s ā€œpony carā€ with the plans of making them our own by way of modifications. Some of Us have owned more than one Mustang, guilty as charged. Iā€™ve owned ā€˜70 GT, ā€˜89 5.0 coupe, ā€˜93 5.0 coupe and ā€˜15 GT myself, and proudly modified all of them. My Grandfather had two of them ā€˜65 GT and ā€˜69 Shelby GT500. My Grandma had one a ā€˜66 convertible red with white interior. My Momā€™s first car was a a Stang ā€˜64.5 purchased in May of that year, white with powder blue interior and a wood steering wheel. My Dad had a ā€˜68 GT s code, and later an ā€˜85 5.0 coupe. Weā€™ve made this happen for Ford, and they just took a huge dump on Us.

I probably wouldnā€™t be taking this so hard had they taken a current Mustang and just electrified it, but this is an abortion of a car design. Then they threw the sacred horse on, and gave the Mustang name to it, but sorry itā€™s not a Mustang. This thing is the love child of a fusion and escape aimed square at the soccer mom, whoā€™s gonna cruise it to the mall. You shouldā€™ve called this thing the EDGE-E that wouldā€™ve made more sense. Iā€™m not one of those old guys that canā€™t see electric being the future, I know thatā€™s been slowly happening. Iā€™m sure people will enjoy this car and modify it to their own liking, but itā€™ll never be a Mustang itā€™s not a two door coupe, fastback or convertible. Itā€™s a family hauler with some clever marketing/styling cues to pull the wool over sheeples eyes.

The Mustang is the only car that sold over half of a million cars in six months, and then hit a million in its first few years all because of Us (Mustang Enthusiasts) try not to forget that Ford. Mustang is the only car that was supposed to be changed to a front wheel drive platform (see Ford Probe), however Ford was forced by Us to keep with the design of rwd, and was rewarded for their efforts in sales.

Mustang is the only brand in America to have a museum run and owned by Us (Mustang Enthusiasts). The Mustang has been featured in over 400 films, over 10 million Mustangs have been produced and sold youā€™re welcome Ford. There are enthusiasts (Us) on 5 continents who have made the Mustang a world car. So go ahead Ford turn your back on Us, Iā€™ve never wanted to see you fail, but as youā€™ve stated with this atrocity times are changing. Iā€™ve been a Ford guy my whole life, Iā€™ve had numerous other models, but other brands are now starting to look appealing.

What you donā€™t understand is that you donā€™t own Mustang, Canā€™t wait to see you fall.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I wouldn't have a problem with Mustang going hybrid or even full electric. If that's where the world is taking us, we don't have a choice. I bet an all electric 4 wheel GT350 could be pretty darn cool done If done correctly.
But for Pete's sake (anyone really know who Pete is?) Mustang is not, never was, and shouldn't be an SUV....but hey, they made New Coke in the 80's and thought that was a great idea.

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
This is not another machE thread.

I'm just thinking here if Ford took the mustang name and pony for the mach e then perhaps Ford would be willing to give the next gt one of the machE electric motors. Think about it. If the top end machE can do 0-60 in 3ish seconds. Imagine that torque with a V8. It's all I've ever wanted in a car.

I think in reality Ford would pair it to an i4 ecoboost or v6 but I can wish right? I'm starting to think this new relationship could actually have positive benefits for us diehard mustang fans.

I'm wondering how much weight two electric motors and their supporting hardware would add to the front end.

Not a big deal in an SUV, but a GT?
Sponsored