spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT w/6spd
Today my Mustang is coming home from a final track pack alignment. Skittles has 11,134 miles on her and is being driven for the first time in a long, long time

Three years ago, I started building my car that my wife bought for me upon my retirement from the Army. I took a vacation to Ireland as well, and on my way home contracted a virus in my left inner ear on the flight. Two weeks later, it wrecked the labyrinth of my ear. I was in the ICU for five days, I lost my balance, ability to walk, ability to hear, and my ability eat. I lost 22 lbs in 4 days. I was released and sent home a shell of a man at 36. I was told that I may not heal, that I might not walk again. My troubles were thankfully not that bad. You see, I came home. I couldnt walk, eat, much less drive. Upon my release, my wife rolled me in a wheelchair into our garage, past my Mustang and I began to the attempt the recover if I could.

Time slowly passed. At first, I would be gingerly brought here to my garage where I would vomit for hours, scream at the top of my lungs in pain due to my recurrent migraines. I had bought at the time of my illness, some 3k in parts to build this one with my kids. No luck, I was too damn sick. This went on for 4 months straight, every day as I learned basic tasks again.

So, here is where you all come in. I began reading here on earnest. Truly reading, not just , mainly in the suspension forum where I would read and long to drive again. Oh, I tried it. Once I was given the ok after 6 months of physical therapy, 4 in which to learn to walk again, I tried it. Made it a whole 2 blocks in a straight line before it got bad. Back in the garage the car went and my condition stabilized at that. So, I kept reading. At 12m in, despite no major change in my condition beyond that slow crawl I went ahead and tried to do my suspension swap. It took me another year of work physically to try again at either of thing, more on that later.

So, I kept reading this forum through that first year and into the second. I learned and began to plan, I couldn't just give up, I was hooked. As I improved, I would work in here the garage alone after my wife went to sleep. She worried so much, that she wouldn't let me work on the car. But as a teat during learning basic skills again, I did it. One bolt turn at a time. Any leftward and up head movement would induce migraines and all the above. So I learned quick to not do that.
I struggled, but kept reading. Kept learning. I slowly bought tools, air tools, a toolbox, etc. Read about upkeep, maintaining, detailing, power adders, common problems, how to fix them and learned about a the S550 platform.

In doing this, ALL of you gave me hope. From innocuous questions that were asked a literal hundred times before to a newbie in suspension on this alien platform, I soaked it in.
Silently, I found community. 3 months ago, my inner ear began to stabilize. I was able to drive more, well the truck entirely. 2 months ago, my wife and I were broadsided in the truck. Totalled. (Funny story later and the Merlin the New One as told by my son Seth, age 11.) . About a month ago, my symptoms cleared entirely and my brain and inner ear had fully recovered after time and a lot of work. Today, I am back in the saddle again as soon as the 4 wheel alignment is done at the dealership. I cannot begin to express how thankful I am to each and every one of you. You guys gave me hope when I was in a dark place and the push I needed to heal and get back to living. Pics inbound as soon as I get to the dealership.

Thank you all again.

Sincerely,

John
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
Wow, what a powerful story. First, thank you for your service. For that alone, you are amazing. Second, I cannot imagine what you have been through, but so glad to hear that you are recovering! Many of us fret about the problems in our lives, but we must always be reminded that things could be much worse. You are an inspiration. Enjoy your second chance! Many happy roads going forward!

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Thank you for your service. I can relate to what you are going through, though on a much less traumatic level. Inner ear problems can be incredibly debilitating. Glad to hear you are doing well, now.

S550Will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1
Glad your back at it man. Post some pics up of the ride when you get a chance. Something about cars and making it your own will always be apart of what makes us unique. Some of my best memories is from the car scene. Now I'm trying to pass that onto my kids.

Sponsored

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
And I'll bet you still have both of your key fobs! Congratulations, and enjoy your ride. Send pics when you can.

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
And I'll bet you still have both of your key fobs! Congratulations, and enjoy your ride. Send pics when you can.
I do! My wife has one set.

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
This is a great story and you've definitely earned my respect. First round at the bar is on me. :beer:
Thaklnk you so much. I am taking the car across the country to my new home. Maybe meet up?

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Wow, what a powerful story. First, thank you for your service. For that alone, you are amazing. Second, I cannot imagine what you have been through, but so glad to hear that you are recovering! Many of us fret about the problems in our lives, but we must always be reminded that things could be much worse. You are an inspiration. Enjoy your second chance! Many happy roads going forward!
Thank you so much. I am not joking,if it wasn't for you guys I probably would have called it quits.

OP
OP

spacemarine83

2017 Grabber Blue GT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your service. I can relate to what you are going through, though on a much less traumatic level. Inner ear problems can be incredibly debilitating. Glad to hear you are doing well, now.
Thank you so much for the well wishes. I am glad to be back among the living.

Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Truly a powerful story with a great result ! I can relate partially to your story as I also suffered a spate of dizziness a couple of years ago which lasted a good twelve months due to a blood disorder and I to couldn't drive / would not drive , however I'm back to normal now and putting Kilometer's back on the Mustang . My respect goes out to you and I wish you the best of health.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP

Dadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium manual
You named your car Skittles? I need to see this car. Please post pics

Don

lb18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Great story John! Glad you are doing well! I can relate as the last year and half hasn't been kind to me health-wise either. However driving and tinkering with my Mustang has been great therapy!
Sponsored