Sponsored

A few questions about my new Roush Stage 1 670 super charger.

WHITTB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2017 MUSTANG GT
I bought a new Roush stage 1 670 super charger for my new 2017 mustang GT auto. Before I have it installed, I have a few questions. I do not drive hard, I don’t race, do hard burnouts or drive on race tracks. This is my daily driver and I take care of it. I purchased the kit primarily because I wanted the extra HP and Torque at the lower RPM range.

How much boost does the super charger add to my engine? I would prefer
to stay at 10 lbs or bellow to make sure my engines life span is not reduced.

I have read that the stock exhaust is restrictive and adds to the overall boost on the cylinders? If so, would I need to go full three inch, replace the headers or possibly delete the stock resonator?
I currently have a borla Axle back exhaust modification.

I live in a hot climate. Does anyone recommend a coolant additive to help keep temperatures down?

Has anyone experienced or heard of any rear axle failures do to the extra HP. I hear the ford axles are the weakest point on the mustangs drive train.

I only have 1800 miles on the car, should I wait for the engine to break in before I install the super charger? My oil still looks new.

Your advice and or suggestions are appreciated.
Sponsored

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'd look into the vmp triple pass heat exchanger, and no the stock exhaust won't hurt it although it would make more power without the cats. Stock rs3's come with your setup and they're fine. I have a vmp kit and in the mornings when I'm on my way to work and sleepy I don't even hit boost lol.

OP
OP

WHITTB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2017 MUSTANG GT
Sounds just like me in the morning. I drive slow and enjoy waking up slow.
Also enjoy pissing off the people that expect you to drive fast just because you have a
Sports car. But the drive home is very different.

Thanks for the advice. I am concerned about the Reduction in ground clearance. I have to be careful pulling out of my driveway already.

I have a base model GT, so no extra-large radiator, like the PP version.

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the FR Kit (same as Roush but with a Ford Racing tune) that was installed at +/- 1,200 miles. Rest of the driveline is stock and no issues so far. I still have the stock OPG. Many on here will say do the OPG swap but I don't race the car nor do I spend a lot of time over 7K RPM. I just wanted to own a car with 600+ HP at least once (bucket list deal).

So far, I have no complaints. My car has the PP so it has 3:73 gears and yes, they are short for a S/C car, in the first 2 gears but the 3rd & 4th gear pull is amazing.....

I went with the Ford Racing X-Pipe, to delete the resonator, with everything else stock. I like the sound but exhaust note is truly a "to each his own" issue so if you want to wake the neighbors, you'll need to go further than just the X-pipe.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Dealership installing your S/C ? That should come with Roush power train warranty that covers engine, transmission and axles.

You shouldn't have to worry about headers / exhaust.

Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Highly recommend halfshafts. I've seen two stockish stangs break them.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not happening with his plans.. Remember "I do not drive hard, I don’t race, do hard burnouts or drive on race tracks."
Until that one day a civic smokes a Roush 670HP Mustang. Then instinct kicks in with the right foot, boom there goes halfshafts.

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP best advise is to read, read and read. Most, if not all, of what you are asking has been covered. Best of luck with the kit! Will definitely put a smile on your face first time you go WOT.

Sponsored
OP
OP

WHITTB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2017 MUSTANG GT
Yes, I have spent a lot of time reading on the forum. Lots of good info on the site.
I will remove the stock resonator and replace it with a stock “H” pipe, I like the deep
Rumble.

I will get the kit installed thru a ford dealership. And also purchase Roush’s extended warranty.

Thanks for the info.

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
I searched and searched before I got my car and have not seen any autos break their halfshafts at phase 1 power levels.... I have a phase 1 with a Lund tune and drag radials... I drive hard and take the car to the strip whenever I have the opportunity. I would do OPG and crank gears before I did halfshafts on an auto.....

twold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 mustang fastback
I have an Auto with Whipple stage 2 / lund tune ,otherwise stock.Within a week diff mount snapped off taking one half shaft with it.This happened on hard kickdown on stock wheels tyres.Diff was the weaker aluminium casing one fitted to autos.
Sponsored