Sponsored

A couple questions for the tuners and experts in here

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Hey everyone! I've got some headers on the way, and I had a couple tuning related questions:

1) What does a tune do to account for headers? I understand why a CAI without an insert needs a tune, but why do headers need a tune?

2) I don't want to turn this into a debate about which tuner to go with, but I'm likely going to go with Lund. My question is whether I should get the nGauge or an SCT X4. The nGauge undoubtedly looks like the nicer piece of equipment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of being locked into one tuner. It's been a LONG time since I've had a car tuned. Does the nGauge have better datalogging capabilities than the X4?

3) I hesitate to ask this question as I know the CAI thing has been beaten to death and back again, but on a car with full exhaust (1 3/4" Kooks green catted headers into a 2.5" Borla S-type catback) and a tune, is it worth it from a performance standpoint? I don't care about the looks or sound of a CAI at all. If the stock airbox is just as good or just a couple hp down, I'll just stick with that. My gut tells me that they extra air in on a CAI without a restrictor is going to be worth it on a car with those mods, but just wanted to check for those that had more experience.

Thanks in advance for the help!
Sponsored

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
My car with full exhaust and a ton of other mods was slower with an aftermarket CAI. Switched back to the stock unit and times improved.

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
My recommendation is to start with a tune only and then decide if you want headers based on volume change, which I would try to experience in person and decide if you want to live with that every day. There is no volume control knob on headers or exhaust valve to open and close. If it's a weekend car, maybe not a big deal. The big factor on headers is noise, IMO. They are worth it for performance.

A CAI is also not really a mod I would do on a daily either, they let a lot more hot air into the engine, especially at idle. Your IATs will heat up a lot. The ones that flow a lot up top can also introduce some low speed fueling concerns (a little less accurate). The stock intake is not that bad and getting a CAI is not going to change your experience with the car.

You need a tune with headers mostly for WOT purposes because they do flow more air out of the engine, which means it's easier for the engine to get more in as well. At part throttle, cruising, etc I have not really seen any change in airflow. At idle, you will also benefit from a tune with headers. You also need a tune to account for the O2 sensors different distance from the heads as well as disabling the errors associated with no cats or high flow cats.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Hey everyone! I've got some headers on the way, and I had a couple tuning related questions:

1) What does a tune do to account for headers? I understand why a CAI without an insert needs a tune, but why do headers need a tune?

2) I don't want to turn this into a debate about which tuner to go with, but I'm likely going to go with Lund. My question is whether I should get the nGauge or an SCT X4. The nGauge undoubtedly looks like the nicer piece of equipment, but I'm not sure I like the idea of being locked into one tuner. It's been a LONG time since I've had a car tuned. Does the nGauge have better datalogging capabilities than the X4?

3) I hesitate to ask this question as I know the CAI thing has been beaten to death and back again, but on a car with full exhaust (1 3/4" Kooks green catted headers into a 2.5" Borla S-type catback) and a tune, is it worth it from a performance standpoint? I don't care about the looks or sound of a CAI at all. If the stock airbox is just as good or just a couple hp down, I'll just stick with that. My gut tells me that they extra air in on a CAI without a restrictor is going to be worth it on a car with those mods, but just wanted to check for those that had more experience.

Thanks in advance for the help!
1. pretty sure all the tune for headers does is turn the rear o2 sensors off so you don't throw a cel.

2. I would go with the nguage. it is much simpler to data log on - from what I understand, one push of a button. with sct (which I have), you need to have a laptop in the car, you also have to configure the software on the laptop to log the appropriate variables - Lund will supply the varibles he needs. With Ngauge, everything is preconfigured and you can log right on the device so no need for laptop.

ngauge also writes the tune much faster

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I appreciate it! The car is not a daily driver, so the sound level isn't as big of a concern for me.

Foghat-I appreciate the input regarding the nGauge and the X4. Sounds like the nGauge definitely makes things easier. My only hesitation is just being locked in to Lund. I have no personal experience with them, so I'm a little apprehensive.

SilverGT-do you mind if I ask which CAI you were running, and what the difference in your times was? Do you think the difference was due to higher IATs? Did you keep the stock filter when you put the stock air box back, or get a drop in panel filter? I'm fine running the stock air box, and I kind of like keeping it stock looking.

Higgs Boson-thanks for the info, I appreciate it! Since the headers flow more air out and you don't necessarily recommend a CAI, I'm assuming that the stock air box is plenty adequate in delivering enough air to compensate?

Thanks again!

Sponsored

Higgs Boson

Detonation Denotation
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350R
If you aren't spending a lot of time at high RPM then to me the low (air) speed tradeoffs aren't worth it (and I have a JLT CAI). I think the stock intake is fine for a headers only car. If you go with all the bolt ons or a supercharger then an intake is going to show more value.

2015 Silver GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT Premium
I saw a difference of 2/10-3/10 with two different CAI's. One was the JLT and the other was the Steeda. Heatsoak with both were the issues and the JLT had some other low speed issues with my auto. I ran the stock filter with the stock CAI and the car was much happier. Car was tuned by me.

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Two things to add here:
1. You can use the nGauge with any tuner who has HP Tuner software. You don't need Lund, but you do need a generic nGauge, not a Lund locked nGauge.
2. With the header changed you can also remove the CAT over temp protection in the tune which riches up fueling to keep CAT's cooler

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Two things to add here:
1. You can use the nGauge with any tuner who has HP Tuner software. You don't need Lund, but you do need a generic nGauge, not a Lund locked nGauge.
2. With the header changed you can also remove the CAT over temp protection in the tune which riches up fueling to keep CAT's cooler
Thanks! How and where do you get a generic nGauge versus the Lund nGauge?

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lund recommends the 170 or 160 degree thermostat, right? My car is a weekend/road course car, if that makes any difference.

Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but Lund recommends the 170 or 160 degree thermostat, right? My car is a weekend/road course car, if that makes any difference.
Yes, they recommend a 170. They lower the temp that the fans kick in, without replacing the tstat, your fans will almost always be on after a lund tune.

OP
OP

Dragster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Yes, they recommend a 170. They lower the temp that the fans kick in, without replacing the tstat, your fans will almost always be on after a lund tune.
Thanks! I was able to pick one up from Lethal last night using their Easter discount code. :thumbsup: