A Couple of Questions For 2020 GT500 Owners

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I’ll post up pictures when she’s back. The reason I purchased the 4bank battery tender was because my 52” hustler mower had a dead battery when I went to use it several months back. I was already thinking about an additional battery tender for the GT500.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Gary: I hear ya on the mower battery, been there and even have the video. :-)

Not a bad eye deer and it sure beats having to remember to charge the darn thing early so it's ready when the mowing season starts. Which, for us down here, is right around the corner. MOF, mine needs mowed as we speak.

Standing by for a most excellent write up and thanks in advance.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
If I can locate a wiring diagram, I will see if there is a way to make at least one of the Power Points hot all the time. From what I understand at this time, the power to the power points is controlled by a relay. If I can jumper the relay socket without interfering with any other system or component, I will be able to make at least one of the Power Points hot at all times and still be fused.
If anyone has a wiring diagram of the Power Points, I would appreciate a copy.
Thanks

Sponsored

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Congrats on the new car Earl!
You sell that nice 5.8?
-J
No, she is still here, I had a hard time parting with her. She is paid off and the tags and insurance are paid until Jan 2021, so she is not costing me anything but space.
The 2 cars are completely different animals and I appreciate the differences. Plus this is a very bad time to sell anything.

Last edited:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Plus this is a very bad time to sell anything.
Amen, Earl, kept mine for the same reason, (and because I didn't REALLY wanna sell her!) :-)

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
If I can locate a wiring diagram, I will see if there is a way to make at least one of the Power Points hot all the time. From what I understand at this time, the power to the power points is controlled by a relay. If I can jumper the relay socket without interfering with any other system or component, I will be able to make at least one of the Power Points hot at all times and still be fused.
If anyone has a wiring diagram of the Power Points, I would appreciate a copy.
Thanks
Earl I'll still trying to put together the information for you!!!

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
Earl I'll still trying to put together the information for you!!!
Earl: I found the answer to your problem!!! You can REMOVE the "LATCHING POWER POINT RELAY" in the BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB) and JUMPER (PINS 3 & 5) TOGETHER!!! This will keep +12v to the POWER POINTS on all the time!!!

Allen

Sponsored

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Snoopy, KB as a 5.8 GT500 owner and future 5.2 GT500 owner, I’d really like to hear from guys that have had both those cars.
My ‘14 is extensively modded but still a complete street car I drive regularly and I’ve spent some street and track time in a 350R, but the new GT500 is still a different animal.
How do you compare the two latest GT500?
-J

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
Bimini: I'm not a racer of either type but here are my "average joe" comparisons..

First, I still feel like I'm putting on an old slipper when I get in the '14 <smile> and still feel a tiny bit out of place in the '20 but I'm sure that will change with time.

I'm equally certain that I will always enjoy a manual transmission in the right vehicle but I must say, I have been literally blown away with the DCT. It's simply amazing.

The '20 is definitely louder in all but Quiet mode.

The stopping power in the '14 is excellent but pales compared to the '20.

The wider tires on the '20 definitely increased the turning radius..and this is one of the first things you'll probably notice.

The digital dash is a MAJOR improvement and I love having so much more configuration choices as well as real temp and oil pressure gauges.

I've become a big fan of push button start and fobs so much more than keys.

The Recaros SEEM to be a little tighter both on the seat and sides but that may just be because the seats in the '14 are six years old.

I'm not a big fan of the Alcantara on the steering wheel but I plan to pick up one of Beith's gorgeous CF wheels in the not too distant future, assuming there is one. :-(

Ditto on the seats, I like the '14 Recaros better at least for now. As it is, I notice my wallet where I never do in the '14.

The suspension in the '20 is stiffer in Normal than the '14 is in Sport. if you have really crummy roads like we do down here, it can be a jolting ride.

The '20 is much more work to wash, dry, and wax than the '14 but that's mainly due to the wing and side splitters.

Finally...the power and oh my is there a lot of it. Still have under 800 miles on mine so I haven't been seriously into the throttle yet but as you'll quickly see, you don't NEED to get very far into it because you'll be at a 100 before you know it and I mean like on an entrance ramp! <smiling>

Driving is firm but confident and unlike some, I have no issues with the electric steering and I like the ratio they chose. When you're on the highway, it can be a family cruiser or an evil monster, your choice. <grin>

And the ability of the DCT to select the best gear for any speed by simply holding the left paddle down is brilliant.

OK dude, that's all I can think of at the moment but it'll give you something to gnaw on while we sit and twiddle our thumbs. :-)

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Earl: I found the answer to your problem!!! You can REMOVE the "LATCHING POWER POINT RELAY" in the BATTERY JUNCTION BOX (BJB) and JUMPER (PINS 3 & 5) TOGETHER!!! This will keep +12v to the POWER POINTS on all the time!!!

Allen
Thanks Allen,
It looks like only the cigar/power point in the dash is controlled by that relay (#69). I couldn't find a relay associated to the power point in the armrest/center console, only a fuse #54.
Is the one in the center console hot all the time?

Power Distribution Box

2020 GT500 Power Distribution Box.jpg