A Couple of Questions For 2020 GT500 Owners

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
I just got my car and a couple of questions.

Do any of you experience any blurring in the interior rear view mirror at freeway speeds? My mirror seems to vibrate at freeway speed and it affects the image, blurred image.

How do you hook up a battery charger to your car? I decided to hook one up last night just to make sure the battery was at full charge, I plugged it into the power point under display like I always did with my 13 and it started to charge, when I checked it out later that night, the charger was acting like it wasn't plugged into the car. It appears that the power point shut down at sometime. I am trying to a avoid having to remove the battery cover every time I want to charge the battery.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Just leave the cover off until you are in sync with how well your battery is functioning. My own cover was in the trunk after sitting in the railyard for a month (missing pushpins) and I keep a charger attached to it until warmer weather hits and I can actually drive the thing.

I've had rearview mirrors that vibrated like that before. Set screw was loose.

Finch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500(July 8 birthday), 2021 Ranger Tremor
I just got my car and a accouple of questions.

Do any of you experience any blurring in the interior rear view mirror at freeway speeds? My mirror seems to vibrate at freeway speed and it affects the image, blurred image.

How do you hook up a battery charger to your car? I decided to hook one up last night just to make sure the battery was at full charge, I plugged it into the power point under display like I always did with my 13 and it started to charge, when I checked it out later that night, the charger was acting like it wasn't plugged into the car. It appears that the power point shut down at sometime. I am trying to a avoid having to remove the battery cover every time I want to charge the battery.

Did you check your tire pressures? Someone said they come from factory over inflated. Could be cause of vibration?

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I wired in the pigtail that came with my battery charger. The positive goes to a terminal stud on the fuse block under the hood. The ground goes to the ground stud on the passenger shock tower. Now I just plug the cord from the tender to the pigtail, route the cable out by the headlight, and shut the hood. Never having to take off the battery cover.

In this picture I circled where I connected the negative. For the positive, flip up the fuse box cover and connect to one of the three studs you see. I used the third one, or the one closest to the battery

47E67DD5-0660-4B68-BC73-32AE1C2E5223.jpeg

EDIT: I found this photo from the build thread of my 2017 Whippled GT, Disregard the blue and clear wires, I was stealing power to feed the ICP and empty the heat exchanger. I just wanted to show where to attach the power lead of the pigtail.

Jmeo's "Take 2" 2017 Auto Build
Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 2.50.01 PM.png

Last edited:

Dunk812

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Rapid Red
snoop I have not seen the review mirror issue and last weekend I had her at 135 with very little vibration at all. as for the charger one of the ports is always hot but I forget which one you must have plugged into one of the ports that is not always hot.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
Congratulations on getting your car Earl !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have fun and be safe out there!

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Did you check your tire pressures? Someone said they come from factory over inflated. Could be cause of vibration?
They were inflated to 40 psi from the factory and the tech (one of the first good ones I have found) set it to factory specs, 32 psi front and rear. I didn't notice any vibration anywhere else, only the mirror. I am going to check for a loose screw (other than myself) like @Epiphany Tob suggested.

RapidResponder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 CFTP, 2022 Shelby SSS, 2023 Raptor R
Earl,

My rear view and side mirrors have a minor vibration under moderate acceleration. Pretty sure it is a normal occurrence.

And congratulations on the new car!!! :clap:

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I checked the screw on the mirror and I was able to get a 1/2 turn with moderate torque, you will need a T20 bit and it is a straight in approach and very easy to check.
I will have to wait until the rain stops before I can determine if this solved the problem, but I am feeling pretty good about the fix. I will post when I get the results.

OP
OP
Snoopy49

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I am going to check out Tob and Jaime's suggestions and see how they works out for me. To bad they didn't leave at least one of the Power Points live all the time.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
A wired-in solution such as what Jaime suggested is definitely the way to go. These things consume a lot of battery reserve and will kill a battery in short order if you dont keep them charged properly. So I'm all for a quick and easy hookup.

I'm just in the process of cleaning up the entire car, area by area, so having the cover off right now is par for the course.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
@Snoopy49 , it’s so good to see you got your car!!!!!

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I just got my car and a accouple of questions.

The first rule of Italian driving

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
On the charger I have a 4 bank battery tender I attached the negative to the cable disconnect nut and the positive to the nut and clamp that holds the positive cable together. I then ran the pig tail outside the battery cover. Now I just raise the hood and plug into the extension cable from the battery tender.

I know it works because when I did the resonator delete my battery discharged. I’d show you a pic however the car is at the detailer.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Gary: I for one would very much like to see a photo (and diagram...maybe?) of your setup when she gets back. It sounds perfect for the many of us who don't drive our wonderful cars all that frequently.

BTW, *I'M* so OCD that I do detailing myself. <chuckling> It isn't the cost, it's the therapeutic benefit (and I'm way too picky for my own good.) :-)
Sponsored