A couple of questions about procharger and knock

OP
OP

kstarnes72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT with Performance package
We were running vp fuels octane booster in both data logs so this is why is it so confusing. I have ngk spark plugs gapped to .035 and we bought the new tube to relocate the Mass air to cold side tubing instead of side of intercooler. Also have breathers on both sides so blow by should not be possible.

Thanks
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sounds like you are on top of it. Wish you luck. Hope you update the outcome.

Toy Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I think your plugs are gapped to wide. Probably not your culprit but it could be a problem.

Toy Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I think your plugs are gapped to wide. Probably not your culprit but it could be a problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP

kstarnes72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also can someone explain load as it relates to boost?

Thanks

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Looks good to me. Is it repeatable? Lund had me gap my plugs at .026". I always suggest to use what the tuner tells you to go with. Tuners have their own different preferences that they know work.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Load is the amount of air at a given RPM being forced into the cylinder on the intake stroke. N/A setups top out at 100% load as they are fully dependent upon the outside air pressure to allow air to enter naturally into the cylinder on the intake stroke. A super charger creates a positive pressure with respect to ambient atmospheric pressure (referred to as boost) which forces air into the cylinder allowing the cylinder to hold more air due to the rise created by boost for no better reference when under boost. The higher the boost hte more air the higher above 100% load you will see in your logs. My theory is a bit rusty in explanation but hopefully it was conveyed correctly. There is a book written by Greg Banish called Engine Management - Advanced Tuning. You can purchase it on Amazon for about $20. It will teach you how to calculate VE (Volumetric Efficiency), Load, and all those other cool things that help you better understand what is happening in the engine tuning process. It also helps you better relate to your tuner and they appreciate (sometimes) working with people who take the time to at least learn the basics.

If you have a vac boost gauge remember that anytime you at reading vacuum (inches Hg) all the up to 0 you are at or below 100% load. Once you go into boost you are above 100%. At 1.30 on your datalog you are at 130% of your load. So if you know the RPM and the theoretical fill you can then calculate the MAF flow that should be seen across the sensor at that given RPM IIRC. Been a while since I opened that book and its at work currently.

Sponsored

sloride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Like he said airload pretty much. At standard atmospheric conditions 1.0 air load would use 14.7 psi of air. Under supercharged conditions at 1.3 load could be .3x14.7 or 4.4psi of boost. So with what psi are you seeing or trying to target. Normally I believe if you were seeing 9-10psi of boost you should be registering 1.6ish or so load.

OP
OP

kstarnes72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like he said airload pretty much. At standard atmospheric conditions 1.0 air load would use 14.7 psi of air. Under supercharged conditions at 1.3 load could be .3x14.7 or 4.4psi of boost. So with what psi are you seeing or trying to target. Normally I believe if you were seeing 9-10psi of boost you should be registering 1.6ish or so load.
10-11 lbs of boost

sloride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Yes no lockouts installed
I’m running the 2018 manifold as well with functioning imrc’s. I actually rigged up my GoPro to record the actuators to see if they were working correctly under WOT
Sponsored