Sponsored

A Cautionary Tale

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Heard about a brand new '15 6MT GT that, according to the driver, was rear ended. Needs a new bumper, rear valence, rear tail light, etc... Bummer, but it happens I guess.

Then a little birdie close to the source said "not so fast, look at the shift pattern, compare it to the previous model and think about it for a moment..."

Boom, headshot!!

Yeah, with reverse right next to 1st gear, I guess it would be easy to think you're in 1st when you're really in reverse. Esp. if you're used to the old shift pattern.

Note: This was not me, and not my car. I do know the owner though.
Sponsored

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
But don't you have to lift the shifter to get it into reverse?

IndustryLeech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP, 2012 V6 'vert, '70 VW Bug, '01 Disco 2
Yeah, there's a lockout ring for reverse. If the driver got it in to reverse accidentally, maybe said person isn't competent enough to be driving a car.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Agreed. There's no way to think you are in first when you are in reverse. If you were in reverse you would know it.

veeATE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Useless thread.

If you are in reverse, you would know, it won't let you get into reverse without lifting the ring.

Sponsored

Potrillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT Premium
Useless thread.

If you are in reverse, you would know, it won't let you get into reverse without lifting the ring.
Thing is, I keep on absent mindedly playing with that ring while I drive. That is a habit I should nip in the bud.

OP
OP

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
But don't you have to lift the shifter to get it into reverse?
Useless thread.

Sure, unless you left it in reverse when you parked it. Pretty sure that was the case here.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
This is why nobody should ever have a manual transmission.

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
Sure, unless you left it in reverse when you parked it. Pretty sure that was the case here.
Or he got rear ended.

Even if it was in reverse, who pulls out of where ever at such a speed that they would do that much damage if they were accidentally in reverse?

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
You obviously have no idea what you are talking about...
+1 that's a fact already proven here about Jimmy and manuals.

The GD back up camera comes on so if you ended up gunning in you are just an idiot manual or not...

P51Guy

P51Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premiun GT Guard PP
That's why certain people should make lots o money and hire a driver. Home James.

jgibo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triple yellow GT performance pkg
The black box will have the information, but I don't know what happens to data if you keep driving.

twsnnva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium (Race Red)
Thing is, I keep on absent mindedly playing with that ring while I drive. That is a habit I should nip in the bud.
Haha, so I'm not the only one!

The shift pattern is identical to my 11'. You just had to push the knob down to go into reverse, whereas the 15' has the ring you pull up on. Was it different on the 12-14's?

New cars have lockouts, but having reverse where it is would actually be the safest bet (assuming the lockout were to fail). You shift into 1st from a stop or when downshifting from 2nd (relatively slow speed). I had a Civic SI where reverse was at the upper right. To me that would be worse, considering you'd likely be shifting from 4th to 5th or downshifting from 6th to 5th when the error occurred.

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic
Heard about a brand new '15 6MT GT that, according to the driver, was rear ended. Needs a new bumper, rear valence, rear tail light, etc... Bummer, but it happens I guess.

Then a little birdie close to the source said "not so fast, look at the shift pattern, compare it to the previous model and think about it for a moment..."

Boom, headshot!!

Yeah, with reverse right next to 1st gear, I guess it would be easy to think you're in 1st when you're really in reverse. Esp. if you're used to the old shift pattern.

Note: This was not me, and not my car. I do know the owner though.
You have to pull up on the shifter to put it in reverse, so not very likely.:thumbdown:
Sponsored