A bit disappointed with my 17 GT PP

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I wonder if your exhaust is contributing to the diff temps shooting up quickly.
I would thermal wrap the pipes on either side of the diff and try again.
agree with you. That is my next step, already ordered the exhaust wrap.
And if that doesn't work, i will add a cooler

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
That they're not meant for the track??

They're not race cars, not meant to pound around a track.
We are not talking W2W racing here but merely HPDE/open tracking.

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
The mustang and camaro alike are BOTH warrantied for track use. Neither are warrantied for "Racing", meaning you can't enter into an event (such as bracket racing) where official time is kept and prize is given.

The Performance Pack was a value oriented option that gave owners a "more" track capable mustang. Anyone that is pushing these cars into limp mode or overheating the diff past it's limits needs to invest into a diff cooler, not a big deal for most interested in regularly tracking.

The engine oil temp though seem a bit high considering the extra cooling capacity of the larger radiator and relatively low track temps. What was your coolant temp and oil pressure? It's possible the oil temperature is off, as it's a calculated instead of measured value.
With the 3.73 gear, Laguna was tough on the cooling because most of the track required 3rd or 4th close to redline

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
With the 3.73 gear, Laguna was tough on the cooling because most of the track required 3rd or 4th close to redline

I would also think the altitude change would be harder on the diff as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
That they're not meant for the track??

They're not race cars, not meant to pound around a track.
Btw, in the 2017 Mustang brochure, ford call the GT with the PP :

"this race-ready machine is even faster around the track"

So kind of misleading??? Faster ( than the Boss 302) but only for a few minutes at the time????

Rocketman

Keep it stupid, stupid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PPPPPPP
Btw, in the 2017 Mustang brochure, ford call the GT with the PP :

"this race-ready machine is even faster around the track"

So kind of misleading???
From a legal point of view, no it isn't. They don't say that it's faster around a track for twenty straight minutes.

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
The PP is (was) a $3000 option. $ 3 0 0 0 D o l l a r s. That is not going to make a stock standard Mustang GT a beat on it Track Car, No way, No when, No How. you should be grateful it Can do what it does, at a 32,000 Price point, and not melt down. Have a problem with your rear diff Temps? Buy a cooler or step up to a GT350, then i might listen to your complaints. out.

:ford: :headbang:

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's true. Ford does not market a "track car" at the same entry price as Chevy. However, the GT350 is faster than the SS, so you get what you pay for as far as price is concerned.
1SS is nearly 1/2 the price of the GT350. Their website advertises transmission cooler, but I don't know if that includes the manual transmission.

Sponsored

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
1SS is nearly 1/2 the price of the GT350. Their website advertises transmission cooler, but I don't know if that includes the manual transmission.
We've already addressed this. The GT350 is indeed more expensive; Ford does not market a "track car" at the GT/SS price point. The GT350 is also faster, so you get what you pay for.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The PP is (was) a $3000 option. $ 3 0 0 0 D o l l a r s. That is not going to make a stock standard Mustang GT a beat on it Track Car, No way, No when, No How. you should be grateful it Can do what it does, at a 32,000 Price point, and not melt down. Have a problem with your rear diff Temps? Buy a cooler or step up to a GT350, then i might listen to your complaints. out.

:ford: :headbang:

The Camaro 1SS has these coolers. Started at $37k including destination. The Mustang started at $33, with the $3k PP option, and $900 destination. And it still doesn't have said coolers?

What's your point again?

Reactions: luc
OP
OP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I had quite the opposite impression (also on a high speed track)
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106251
No doubts that I was pushing the car "slightly" more than a novice could.

I have over 25 years of racing under my belt, from formula V to vintage Mustangs to a Roush Trans-Am Mustang

i have to say that i was overall impressed with the car, especially the braking and handling and it's why the overheating issues are so disappointing

Regarding the cost of the PP, I would have gladly pay more for a package that included the extra cooling that is NECESSARY to push the car on a track

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Odd about the diff tmp warning. I run Redline 75w140 (no friction additives), and have thermal wrap around my exhause before and around the diff. I also run traction control off 95% of the time at the track.

A diff cooler may be needed for you. I wish I could say why. Even before the fluid change and exhaust wrap my '16 never popped the diff temp warning. I've done a handful of HPDE days with the car and aside from being on my 2nd replacement wheel hub and some cooked rear brake piston boots the car has been very reliable.

Last edited:

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
The Camaro 1SS has these coolers. Started at $37k including destination. The Mustang started at $33, with the $3k PP option, and $900 destination. And it still doesn't have said coolers?

What's your point again?

What's 33-37?
Sponsored