Sponsored

A bit disappointed with my 17 GT PP

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Was at Laguna seca last Friday and even on a 80* day, I got the rear differential overheated warning every single session after about 15/20 minutes
That is also after changing the fluid to 75w140
Oil temp was dangerously close to the yellow ( about 270*)
The Friday before that, I was at Thunderhill and had the same issues.
It's too bad that a great (track) car is let down by cooling issues

Thinking about the 2018 with the PP2, must be even worst, faster car with 305 cup tires all around and still no coolers!!!!!
What is/was Ford thinking about?????
Sponsored

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/ Performance Pack
Let me preface my comment by first stating that I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, Ford is not selling the PP1 or PP2 GT's with the intent that they be viewed as street legal track cars, they're being sold with the intent that they be seen as high performance street vehicles you can toss around on a track. Subtle but important distinction. Marketing issues concerning that distinction were one of the reasons the S550 got the "performance package" instead of the "track package."

stevegt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium. 2019 GT PP1 ordered
Did you go to a full synthetic oil in the diff?

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Was at Laguna seca last Friday and even on a 80* day, I got the rear differential overheated warning every single session after about 15/20 minutes

Thinking about the 2018 with the PP2, must be even worst, faster car with 305 cup tires all around and still no coolers!!!!!
Appears the Camaro 1SS has a diff cooler.

"Rear differential cooler
Helps maintain optimal performance
* May require additional optional equipment.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Let me preface my comment by first stating that I agree with you wholeheartedly. However, Ford is not selling the PP1 or PP2 GT's with the intent that they be viewed as street legal track cars, they're being sold with the intent that they be seen as high performance street vehicles you can toss around on a track. Subtle but important distinction. Marketing issues concerning that distinction were one of the reasons the S550 got the "performance package" instead of the "track package."
I'd agree for the PP1 but PP2 should absolutely come with coolers from the GT350. It's a significant oversight.

Sponsored

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appears the Camaro 1SS has a diff cooler.

"Rear differential cooler
Helps maintain optimal performance
* May require additional optional equipment.
The Camaro is a super sport, and to my knowledge its warranty even covers on-track use. The Mustang is a grand tourer and is not warranted for track use. The GT350 is Ford's track car.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The Camaro is a super sport, and to my knowledge its warranty even covers on-track use. The Mustang is a grand tourer and is not warranted for track use. The GT350 is Ford's track car.
big price jump to the GT350, esp. when its selling above MSRP.

raceredftw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
big price jump to the GT350, esp. when its selling above MSRP.
That's true. Ford does not market a "track car" at the same entry price as Chevy. However, the GT350 is faster than the SS, so you get what you pay for as far as price is concerned.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I'd agree for the PP1 but PP2 should absolutely come with coolers from the GT350. It's a significant oversight.
At least Ford didn't market either as "the most track capable Mustang ever" and then leave the coolers off anyway.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Wait, I am confused, the PP2 doesn't in fact come with trans/diff coolers? I thought it did.

Sponsored

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
The mustang and camaro alike are BOTH warrantied for track use. Neither are warrantied for "Racing", meaning you can't enter into an event (such as bracket racing) where official time is kept and prize is given.

The Performance Pack was a value oriented option that gave owners a "more" track capable mustang. Anyone that is pushing these cars into limp mode or overheating the diff past it's limits needs to invest into a diff cooler, not a big deal for most interested in regularly tracking.

The engine oil temp though seem a bit high considering the extra cooling capacity of the larger radiator and relatively low track temps. What was your coolant temp and oil pressure? It's possible the oil temperature is off, as it's a calculated instead of measured value.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
I wonder if your exhaust is contributing to the diff temps shooting up quickly.
I would thermal wrap the pipes on either side of the diff and try again.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

That they're not meant for the track??

They're not race cars, not meant to pound around a track.
Sponsored