Sponsored

A $2 Billion Loss Spells Trouble in Dearborn

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is it just me or does Ford plus sound like the beginning of the subscription model?

“significant opportunities to expand capabilities and generate returns from software-enabled gas-powered and electric vehicles.”

And this. Fired is the word that comes to mind. A CEO’s biggest role in this day and age is to setup guidance to insure a beat on earning. He failed in a bad bad way.

Ford’s loss last year compares with a $17.9 billion profit that Ford posted for 2021. Evidence suggests last year’s downturn has more to do with the cost issues than supply-chain troubles.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
A CEO’s biggest role in this day and age is to setup guidance to insure a beat on earning
that's just a pointless game. They all "lie" and try to wordsmith this crap so that they "beat" an estimate even if they FAIL in actual execution and profitability etc. I'd much rather the company be run correctly than who sweet-talks analysts the best.

If you look at the balance sheet there were some HUGE swings in a few categories which deserve clarification IMO. And also 2 billion in dividends and like? Maybe don't buy back your own damn stock or not pay dividends if you're company is in the shitter?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Seems to me that Ford is building the wrong vehicles. Their inventory is going up. My wife was considering buying a Bronco last year and you couldn't even place an order for one because Ford was so far behind in making them.

Seems like poor planning, and Farley should be planning production as a high priority. Making the right number of the right vehicles seems pretty important to me. But I don't know what is happening inside the company.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
that's just a pointless game. They all "lie" and try to wordsmith this crap so that they "beat" an estimate even if they FAIL in actual execution and profitability etc. I'd much rather the company be run correctly than who sweet-talks analysts the best.

If you look at the balance sheet there were some HUGE swings in a few categories which deserve clarification IMO. And also 2 billion in dividends and like? Maybe don't buy back your own damn stock or not pay dividends if you're company is in the shitter?
I agree completely.

Sadly how long you last as CEO has a lot more to do with how happy you make Wall Street Vs. How well you actually run a company. It’s a strange place in this cycle.

I am old enough to remember when GAP was a thing. Wonder what the lens would reveal?

Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
That article is misleading. Dealers have pretty much zero inventory. Ford’s bread and butter is trucks, then suv’s. As a company Ford is still on solid ground. In Superduty’s alone there is about 3 billion dollars worth sitting waiting for chips. I’m sure that unsellable inventory currently is part of the write down.

Seems to me that Ford is building the wrong vehicles. Their inventory is going up. My wife was considering buying a Bronco last year and you couldn't even place an order for one because Ford was so far behind in making them.

Seems like poor planning, and Farley should be planning production as a high priority. Making the right number of the right vehicles seems pretty important to me. But I don't know what is happening inside the company.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
My cynical appraisal of Ford strategy:

1) Make a lot of shit people don't want
2) Don't make enough of the shit people really want
3) Kinda flub the intros of what people really want
4) Make (lose) bad bets that lead to expensive recalls (both with wanted and unwanted shit)
5) Go Racing!

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels

4) Make (lose) bad bets that lead to expensive recalls (both with wanted and unwanted shit)
5) Go Racing!
Seems accurate. #2 and #3 stand out.

Especially #3. I'm talking to you, Bronco. Yeah, Covid and the fallout had an impact, but the Bronco rollout has to be among the worst (if not THE worst) new vehicle intros ever based on the forums.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Lmao, sell your stock, problem solved.

5) Go Racing!

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
Lmao, sell your stock, problem solved.
That's the thing - I'm such a "Ford Guy" I'm loyal to a fault. Oh well - at least my Tesla stock is up (bought at 109)

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Especially #3. I'm talking to you, Bronco. Yeah, Covid and the fallout had an impact, but the Bronco rollout has to be among the worst (if not THE worst) new vehicle intros ever based on the forums.
Yup, it's almost completely turned me off of one. The Maverick too, the Tremor orders were open for what, a matter of hours? Days tops. Like come on, how was I even supposed to know that would be the case?

Can't have shit in Detroit.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Yup, it's almost completely turned me off of one. The Maverick too, the Tremor orders were open for what, a matter of hours? Days tops. Like come on, how was I even supposed to know that would be the case?

Can't have shit in Detroit.
My brother just took delivery of a fairly loaded Maverick that he ordered last February, and had to reorder a '23. For him, it got to the point where he was starting to lose any enthusiasm he had for getting it. He seemed pretty "meh" about it when I talked to him about it last weekend.

As for Bronco, it's somewhat telling when order holders are being offered $2500 to drop their orders to buy an existing one off a lot. Word is out and once the gotta-have-it crowd is sated, most everyone else with any sense will have moved on. I've got quotes on three Wrangler builds, all well under MSRP and I'd have any one of them by summer, and I'm finding it hard to wait any longer.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
My brother just took delivery of a fairly loaded Maverick that he ordered last February, and had to reorder a '23. For him, it got to the point where he was starting to lose any enthusiasm he had for getting it. He seemed pretty "meh" about it when I talked to him about it last weekend.

As for Bronco, it's somewhat telling when order holders are being offered $2500 to drop their orders to buy an existing one off a lot. Word is out and once the gotta-have-it crowd is sated, most everyone else with any sense will have moved on. I've got quotes on three Wrangler builds, all well under MSRP and I'd have any one of them by summer, and I'm finding it hard to wait any longer.
I thought the $2500 was an incentive to remove certain supply constrained options?

I do know that once I found out that Ford is dropping all unfulfilled orders that haven't been assigned a production slot by the end of this year, I lost even more interest. Like what a dick move, lol. I know it's probably better for everyone, but why did they take so many orders they couldn't fulfill in the first place?

I've been looking at a Gladiator, but I dunno. I like the Wrangler overall besides the ride quality penalty from having a solid front axle.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I thought the $2500 was an incentive to remove certain supply constrained options?

I do know that once I found out that Ford is dropping all unfulfilled orders that haven't been assigned a production slot by the end of this year, I lost even more interest. Like what a dick move, lol. I know it's probably better for everyone, but why did they take so many orders they couldn't fulfill in the first place?

I've been looking at a Gladiator, but I dunno. I like the Wrangler overall besides the ride quality penalty from having a solid front axle.
Maybe that was it, I'm probably confusing my debacles and I'm too lazy to look, there have been a lot of dick moves by Ford with Bronco. There are still folks that reserved a '21 back in the summer of '20 that still don't have their rigs, which is crazy.

Wranglers are an acquired taste (I've had four), but I love them despite the crap luck I had with my JKs. Civilized they are not.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack

As the owner of one of those Broncos, yes. It's been really bad. Issue after issue, order delays, delivery problems, hard top problems, warranty denials for bullshit reasons, technology refreshes that never arrived or were a year late.

Still, I love my Bronco. It's an amazing vehicle. I ordered in OCT-2021 and received in OCT-2022, and it's so much fun to drive. I've put 6k miles on in four months, while I've probably driven my Mustang all of 200 miles in that time.

JR
Sponsored