Sponsored

$9500 for 95 SVT Cobra?

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
Has 106,000 miles, at a dealer. Got a Paxton SC. Looks like it's in nice shape but hard to tell from pics. It's 9 hours away so I'd have to ship it. At the very least the body is straight but it's hard to tell how nice paint is. VIN shows two minor accidents reported. I have a soft spot for the SN95 5.0s, but I'm not sure it's worth the 9500

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...-Cobra-Jackson-c5529_L33371#listing=248144920

What would be a reasonable offer?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Flare65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
How handy of a mechanic are you? How well do you know the SN95 platform? If you have zero tools and are not the kind of guy who knows how to work on cars, I'd steer away from something like this.

Also, I think there is a lot of room to negotiate on price.

OP
OP

stinger556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Family hauler, for now
How handy of a mechanic are you? How well do you know the SN95 platform? If you have zero tools and are not the kind of guy who knows how to work on cars, I'd steer away from something like this.

Also, I think there is a lot of room to negotiate on price.
I used to own a 95 GT, and I all but rebuilt the motor. Im pretty mechanically incline, and love tinkering with stuff. I've replaced the heater core on the 95 GT that I had. I really missed that car over the years. Now I find the SN95 5.0's to be relatively affordable, simple cars that I can keep running. And if something goes wrong parts are pretty cheap, even the go-fast parts.

With that said, I did offer the dealership $7500 and they said there was no way they could come down to that. Maybe I just need to keep a lookout for a better version of the 95 Cobra. Or keep saving my pennies for an 03/04 Cobra which I have always wanted.

Edit: Here is the car in question; https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Use...-Cobra-Jackson-c5529_L33371#listing=248144920

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
Offer 5 hunnit or ask for a warranty that includes a 363 long block replacement with low compression pistons.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
My opinion, if it’s a clean example and that’s the car you’re looking for, it’s going to be hard or a long period of time looking to find another clean example. Not impossible but you have to decide if you’re OK waiting and hunting.

At the end of the day, it’s a $2k difference. Not a lot if you have the cash to make the purchase in the first place.

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Crap!!
You had to remind me, didn't you?

In the late 90's, some kid had joined the Military and had a '95 SVT Cobra
Mustang for sale, just wanting to get rid of it.

He only wanted $3500.00 for it.
Had 19,000 miles on it, and I didn't buy it.

I've kicked myself ever since.
What a GOOD toy to have been able to give to my Grandson.

Oh, well!!!!!!:angry:

Johnnyracer222

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP 6 speed
I've purchased 4 cars long distance, a few I saw in person, a few just pictures. I've also purchased 3 motorcycles long distance.

1 of the cars was a bad vehicle, horrible transaction, lost a shit load of money, got rid of it 60 days later.

The others were good.

2 out of the 3 bikes I bought long distance sucked. The other I still have, since 2013.

Now a 95 Cobra?! Last of the Windsor motors, that's cool as hell. I've had a couple Fox's, never an SN95, but now, all these years later, the SN95 is pretty cool with the 5.0

As for your price? Well, I have no friggin clue if it's a good deal or not, but I'll tell ya, if you like the car, you wont care about a few thousand here or there.

Only.thing that makes me hesitate for you is that it's already been supercharged, for who knows how long. And if it were my car, I'd be on the throttle hard all the time. Assume this car has been too, dont set your expectations too high and it might work out. Good luck, let's see some pics!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I'd have trouble passing that up, myself, but you know that car has been put through its paces. Like said, if you're prepared for the undertaking then go for it. It's 25 years old. I'd bet good money it will be one of those that has something go wrong the moment you fix something else. I didn't mind spending all of my free time on my old sn95, and I learned a great deal, but it wore me out over the years. By the time the next major rebuild was in order, I just couldn't bring myself to commit. So a half torn apart car sat in my garage for two years before I finally let go.

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I'd suggest you search out a kindred spirit local to the car, and pay for a competent in-person evaluation.

If you expect to use it to its potential, it better be very, very good. If you just want to enjoy ownership, and toodle around to car shows or such, almost any car will satisfy, with a good paint job.

Another alternative is to find a scale model of your love object, and customize that. Can be very satisfying and quite a bit less costly.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I don't know anything about the price, sounds a little high to me. But, does anyone want to play a game?

A) 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96 mph
B) 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.3 @99.6 mph

Which one is the 2018 Toyota Camry V6, and which is the 1994 Mustang SVT Cobra?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I don't know anything about the price, sounds a little high to me. But, does anyone want to play a game?

A) 0-60 in 5.9 seconds, 1/4 mile 14.7 @ 96 mph
B) 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, 1/4 mile in 14.3 @99.6 mph

Which one is the 2018 Toyota Camry V6, and which is the 1994 Mustang SVT Cobra?
<Game Show Buzzer on>
Neither.
<Game Show Buzzer off>

Official 1/4 times were not posted in the original 1994 Dealership Brochure, only 0-60 and Top Speed specs were listed.

These 1994 Cobra specs are from Ford Performance, where the 0-60 and Top Speed are correct, but have no idea where the 1/4 came from:
0-60 mph: 6.3 seconds
60-0 mph braking: 140 feet (Est.)
1/4-mile @ MPH: 14.1 seconds @ 101 mph
This is from Wiki:
Ford claimed a modest 6.3 seconds to hit 60 mph and a top speed of 140 mph. Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords magazine tested a 1994 Cobra coupe and ran 0-60 mph in 5.7 seconds and the quarter mile in 13.87 seconds at 99.49 mph
Motor Trend, Car and Driver as well as Road & Track articles of the time period had varying 1/4 mile times - varying of course based on their Test Driver‘s skills.

——
A true 1994/95 untouched, bone stock Cobra 5.0 came with:
1) GT40 upper/lower intakes

2) 60mm throttle body

3) Underdrive pulleys

4) Crane roller rockers (1.72 IIRC)

5) Specific Flywheel (only available for the Cobra; nearly 3lbs lighter than the 94/95 GT and prior models. This flywheel is no longer in production, it was NOT the Ford Racing version flywheel and it was never available to purchase via Ford Racing; it has specific part #)

6) Cobra-only black valve covers with the stamped word “Cobra” and which were built with sound deadening between the sheet metal.

7) Cobra-only Front seat frames that were lighter than that of the GT.

8) Cobra specific PCM (J4J1)

9) The Cobra T5 has upgraded bearings and phosphate coated gears (supposedly for longevity)

10) Specific Cobra brake booster (had “Cobra” label affixed to top)

——

As far as today’s prices:
$9.5k for a 1995 Cobra with a supercharger is within reason. However you mention the car was in (2) documented accidents. The double accident damage alone, $9.5k asking price is still high. Cobra and Supercharger aside, I’d be very cautious of the prior accident damage from the aspect of:

1) How bad was it and where
2) Was the car correctly repaired (not only paint, but is it full of mud where sheet metal should have been replaced)
3) How many of the VIN labels are missing off of the sheet metal panels
4) Does it retain the radiator support BUC tag

Folks who are buying a 1994/95 Cobra today are buying:
Cat 1: To collect
Cat 2: To buy what they could not when younger (Enthusiast non-collector)

The folks in Category 1 want:
1) SVT Certification to prove SVT Build #
2) All VIN labels present on all sheet metal labels as well as the urethane panels
3) BUC tag is present on rad core support
4) Vehicle maintenance or repair history
5) Non-modified (ie: drivetrain more than appearance mods)
6) “Numbers matched” - drivetrain, body VINs, etc.
7) As Built Cobra specific parts retained

Folks in Cat 2 are looking for an inexpensive 1994/95 Cobra that is clean, decent, may have minor blems, isn’t totally numbers matched, but looks/drives fine and may or may not have mods (major or minor).

If looking for a Cat 1 94/95 Cobra, expect these examples to be in the $20k+ range now - higher $$$ for low mileage, documented examples. You can find really good examples in this category with higher mileage as well, expect that range to be $12k-$17k.

If looking for a Cat 2 94/95 Cobra, these vary greatly in price depending on overall condition, with or without original drivetrain, with/without original interior, N/A vs Power adder, accident history or not, etc. Over the last 10 years, I’ve seen these for as low as $5k and as high as $15k - again totally dependent on condition and how hard up the Seller is on their price point.

The 1994/95 Cobra has been steadily increasing in value over the last 10 years. Mostly in part due to Classic Mustangs, including Fox bodies becoming out of reach for the hobbyist and those who either previously owned one or wanted an SN95 but couldn’t get one at the time for XYZ reasons.

The 1995 Cobra R’s were as low as $15k, but in the last few years, good examples are now fetching a solid $30-$35k+, depending on condition and if no race history.

If you want to peruse SN95’s, specifically 1994/95 Cobras, hit up Corral.net - there’s always some posted there in the SN95 classifieds.

I have years of 94/95 Cobra tech and specs posted on Corral - just hit the 1994/95 Tech section on there... I’ve probably posted more 94/95 Cobra specific factoids than anyone. :)

ebay is a good source as well as BAT and Craigslist.

Last edited:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Good looking car buy the pictures if MI is like WV they can't sell a car that isn't road worthy. I'd ask for some kind of guarantee or warranty and if they provide it buy it.

Lightning Struck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue PP2
Pretty sure they didn't have the tubular GT40 upper, the only vehicle that got that was the Lightning, and the Cobra R

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
The odometer gear in 94 to 98 tends to have the worm gear break which makes the odometer not roll and by looking at the pictures I see that someone reset the trip meter and it is at 000 so the odometer unless it has been repaired more than likely isnt working call the dealer ask them to drive around the block one time and take a new picture of the odometer.
Sponsored