Sponsored

93 OCTANE TUNE ADDS 50WHP!

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Cool, so we have come to the conclusion that 87 makes less power, as backed up by forum member dynos, and the AAA doc.

Now, what about MPG on 87?

Forum members state a loss of MPG with 87 as does the AAA doc. The percentage of MPG loss does not outpace the increased in cost per gallon however (regionally that may differ - your results may vary).

So, do you want cheaper gas with less power and MPG or do you want to pay the premium for premium (ba dum tss) and have the optimum MPG and power?

I personally will take the better power AND mpg.. its a no brainer.
87 octane shows a 2.3% fuel economy loss (less than 0.5mpg). 93 octane fuel is 25% more expensive than 87. We have been through this already.

Thanks Millhouse. It seems the midrange is more a factor than peak. Also, not sure how much is applicable to the new gen Coyote. Also, the data provided shows premium to be 91....not 93 that Ford now requires for full power.

Just one other totally antecdotal and one-off experience: I always ran 93 in my 2016. However, I found that by mixing 2 gallons of 102 race fuel to 5 gallons of 93, my car was a full tenth quicker in the quarter. On 100% race fuel, it was actually a bit slower. The PCM was able to adjust to and make use of the roughly 96 octane mix but not to the 102. I haven't tried fuel mixtures in my 2018 since my local source for 102 no longer exists.
Honestly, it doesn't bother me that anyone choses 93 octane fuel. It bothers me when people think there is a significant performance or MPG difference without any spec of proof, specifically when there is an actual scientific test that proves otherwise.

It's also funny that nearly every single person would laugh at any individual that spends $1500 on a 10hp modification, but that is precisely what it costs many over 5-7 years of premium fuel. Likewise, people pull the "but you bought a sports car" claim and act like $500 a year doesn't matter, but those same people would switch insurance companies in a second if it saved them $500 per year.

Anyways, I have thrown all of the data out there to squash the crazy horsepower and fuel economy claims. It's up to everyone else to decide if the horsepower is worth it to them.
Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
It is funny that Millhouse keeps comparing premium fuel cost to insurance premiums. Personally, I am not an insurance enthusiast. I am, however, a Mustang performance enthusiast.

What is "insignificant" to some folks may be quite "significant" to others. I hope we can agree on that! :like:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What is "insignificant" to some folks may be quite "significant" to others. I hope we can agree on that! :like:
There is no doubt about that, and it's not always based on income. :wink:

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
Anyways, I have thrown all of the data out there to squash the crazy horsepower and fuel economy claims. It's up to everyone else to decide if the horsepower is worth it to them.
No one said "crazy HP gains" but between the two data sets we have available its 10+ hp (with some showing 25ish HP).

All I am saying is that there IS a difference in HP and MPG with 93 vs 87. Premium octane (91/93) DOES make MORE HP AND DOES get BETTER MPG - proven by the dyno test and AAA doc.

Whether or not its worth the price to the driver is a different story.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
All this money saved on regular gas get yourself a tune.

20181010_183800.jpg

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No one said "crazy HP gains" but between the two data sets we have available its 10+ hp (with some showing 25ish HP).

All I am saying is that there IS a difference in HP and MPG with 93 vs 87. Premium octane (91/93) DOES make MORE HP AND DOES get BETTER MPG - proven by the dyno test and AAA doc.

Whether or not its worth the price to the driver is a different story.
We have ford saying it's 10HP and an independent, scientific source saying it's 10HP. Then we have one unscientific source showing 25ish HP. 25ish HP is absolutely crazy.

What you choose to believe is up to you. I know what I'm trusting.

Yes, there is a HP and fuel economy difference. The fuel economy difference is 2.3% and isn't worth squat compared to the 25% increase in fuel price.

Yes, there is a HP difference, it's worth 1.6% and can't be felt by the SOTP.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
You can add a third face-palm. It shows you still don't understand the value of the scientific method.

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
We have ford saying it's 10HP and an independent, scientific source saying it's 10HP. Then we have one unscientific source showing 25ish HP. 25ish HP is absolutely crazy.

What you choose to believe is up to you. I know what I'm trusting.

Yes, there is a HP and fuel economy difference. The fuel economy difference is 2.3% and isn't worth squat compared to the 25% increase in fuel price.

Yes, there is a HP difference, it's worth 1.6% and can't be felt by the SOTP.
In my personal testing I experienced closer to a 10% decrease in MPG, and most definitely felt (and logged....................) reduced air mass AND ignition.

You and I are both able to choose who to believe and trust. I however trust my own personal real world experience. :fistbump:

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
In my personal testing I experienced closer to a 10% decrease in MPG, and most definitely felt (and logged....................) reduced air mass AND ignition.

You and I are both able to choose who to believe and trust. I however trust my own personal real world experience. :fistbump:
Curious, did you log and take into account Wind speed? Wind direction? Elevation Change? Temperature? Fuel quality? Fuel octane? Humidity? Did you do anything to eliminate all but one of the variables you are trying to test?

Trust what you want, I personally know better.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The mid-range and upper mid-range is more important than peak for seat of the pants and typical daily driving. The torque gain is important, too. Much of the data provided is on the old lower compression engine and the Ford data appears to use 91 as premium. Not much of this is applicable to the new gen engine which REQUIRES 93 to achieve the power that is advertised.

Ok, this has been fun....thanks to all....I need to go drive my Mustang and enjoy all the power.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP

"Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence"

You've made a guesstimate based off of completely unscientific methodology and are arguing against an actual scientific test exactly on the subject.

Pot meet kettle.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I drain the 91 when it rains and replace it with 87. Then when the sun comes out I do the opposite. Of course gas has a shelf life, so sometimes I have to do a lot of pointless driving in the rain so the 87 doesn't go to waste.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Still quoting old quotes to try to justify your ignorant position I see. You sir are no master-debater. Enjoy living the lie, I'm out.
Sponsored