Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Good points and good memory. You kind of backup my point about affordable performance being part of the Mustang thing. In the world of the $30K, $14.5K and $16K great American muscle cars you name, $8.5K in stock trim put a guy in the game with an HO 5.0 Mustang and nothing else did that. Throw in $6K of after market to equal the Firebird price tag and you had a respectable street machine. As for the future, I can see Ford relaunching the T-Bird badge as their hybrid electric sport performance hi-tech 2 door coupe with Tesla level interior. I just want Mustang to stay what it has been. But maybe I am a disappearing breed of car enthusiast.

To be fair, memory nothing, LOL - my memory's a cobwebby mess, I had to do some online searching, just on a vague sort of "wait, I know it's been a while, but those numbers don't quite sound right, maybe?" thought.

And, as a guy who used to say "electric is crap" and "I'd never use traction/stability control", well, I'm changing my tune. After all, in my day, 200-250 HP was about the best you could get at a reasonable price (Formula 350, Mustang 5.0, Grand National). The first time I really leaned on my 2015, I realized exactly how much progress had been made, what 435 horsepower and gobs of torque really meant, and decided "Yeah, traction/stability control is going to stay ON, thank you very much."

I was also skeptical of electric motors, but, while my Prius is interesting and quiet, hearing about how full-electrics can perform, and even a video from Jay Leno talking about how the torque is right there from a dead stop and how they're going to outdo the gasoline engine in racing, well, I stared reality in the face.

Reality stared back. And I was the one that blinked.

I love V8s - the power, and the visceral feeling from the sound. But I know electrics are going to outdo them, and simplify the car in the process. I'll miss the sound, though.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Ford tried to design for both possibilities, though a car that can be gasoline-only, hybrid, or electric-only. After all, think of the plethora of engine options that were sometimes offered in the Mustang's early-ish days (late 60s to maybe 1971). Six-bangers to various small blocks, and a few big block options. Even later, 4cyl, turbo-4, 6-cyl and 8-cyl.

I'm pretty confident that the Mustang will keep its essence. I am SURE they won't try another misguided Probe-will-be-the-new-Mustang misstep. Multiple tiers of performance for multiple price categories. Similar to how you can go today with base model, GT, Bullitt, GT350, GT500.
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
C8 for you then :wink:

Mustang needs to stick to the recipe that has worked so well for 55 years. A great looking 2+2 with good trunk space, good performance and an affordable price. Mustang's relative practicality is what has made is such a strong seller :like:

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Might need to check up on those 1988 prices there...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-prices-through-the-years#1988

And, the Corvette could be had starting at $30K. The Firebird Formula 350 was $14,500. The 1987 Buick Grand National was a little over $16K. So, you didn't need anything close to $50K back then to equal or exceed the Mustang HO 5.0.

But, ok, instead of Ludicrous speed - what if an electric version is faster than any of their non-high-priced vehicles. Say, notably faster than a base GT, but with around GT pricing? I think assuming any electric Mustang that's fast must by definition have a Tesla Model S price tag is a false assumption.
My oversight, never looked at your web link. It is the last word on prices. Maybe it was 1986. Guys were buying this 5.0 Mustang MT, from Sinclair Ford, stripped down model, may not have had AC, and tearing up Lindbergh Blvd. I did not price one, Just repeating what my foggy memory heard back then, $8500. Sales are not always at the sticker price.
I did not mean to imply you needed $50K to equal a Mustang 5.0. It is the other way around. The Mustang could run with
some, not many, of the cars that cost $50K.

Sponsored

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
They did with the gen5 camaro and they continued it with the gen6 but retro is dead at least poorly done retro. They should have moved on to a new camaro like Mustang changed from the s197 to the s550 then everyone wouldn't be crying because camaro has been put on indefinite {canceled} hold.
The Crapmaro is done. :cwl:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
So, are we skipping S650 and going straight to S750 as the codename for the 7th Gen Mustang?

Taken from a Q&A with a Mach E Electric Vehicle Engineer:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...th-ford-mach-e-electric-vehicle-engineer.360/

"Q: Does this mean the Mustang is going to be a crossover from now on?

Answer:
Nope, the new generation Mustang coupe is in development, actually! Going to be a special one, too.....

......because of the Mach-E we get to keep the S750 program."

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
So, are we skipping S650 and going straight to S750 as the codename for the 7th Gen Mustang?

Taken from a Q&A with a Mach E Electric Vehicle Engineer:

https://www.macheforum.com/site/thr...th-ford-mach-e-electric-vehicle-engineer.360/

"Q: Does this mean the Mustang is going to be a crossover from now on?

Answer:
Nope, the new generation Mustang coupe is in development, actually! Going to be a special one, too.....

......because of the Mach-E we get to keep the S750 program."
I was wondering the same??? Maybe S650 is the designation for the sheet metal refresh in 23MY and S750 is the new platform? Or he just misspoke...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I was wondering the same??? Maybe S650 is the designation for the sheet metal refresh in 23MY and S750 is the new platform? Or he just misspoke...
As usual, this sort of thing throws up more questions than answers :computerrage:

Yeah, I guess it's possible he meant 7th Gen, rather than S750. We've seen "S650" used in Linkedin profiles previously. You could be right though.....S650 as a heavy '23MY refresh, S750 as an all new platform a few years after that. Who knows!?! :headbang:

:crazy:

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
And just to confirm that......here's Chris Stevens ('18+ & GT500 designer) confirming he's working on S650 (jump to 3m 58secs)

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Yeah, but do you have to put your roof down in order to move your head? :giggle:

(I'm joking.....I do love the Camaro (and Challenger!) too :) )

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Status
Not open for further replies.