Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
@Stonehauler , yes. Not wide enough. I was on Autoline After Hours last week and John McElroy (program host) details the conversation he had with Sergio about it at the very beginning of the program. If you have the stamina to watch the whole hour + we get into a discussion on the Camaro dead or no at about the 59 minute mark.

You had a lot of great points on the Camaro, and I think Mr. McElroy's points on the Challenger are spot on as well. I am wondering what Dodge is going to bring to the market, and what Ford's plans are as well.

Personally, I would love a bigger car than Mustang and after 2+ decades of hating Dodge products because of an incident where a steering rack ripped itself off of the frame of a Dakota I was driving, I might...MIGHT..be willing to give them a second chance. More room, a real back seat, a good sized trunk and lots of power all add up to a good choice for me. That said, I know others, and a lot of others here on this forum, who would say Mustang should get smaller than it is today. That's ok, everyone is entitled to their opinion. We will see what happens.

That said, if Mustang grows...I will certainly be looking at that first.
Sponsored

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
For 50 years Mustang has kept to a theme: short wheelbase sport 2 door long hood fast back pony car with muscle and big muscle variants. I have no problem with every soccer mom, mail carrier, car pool driver, public service vehicle, uber lyft and cab driver piloting electric vehicles. America buys more Camrys in some months then they buy Camaros in a year. Electrify the Camry so what. Electrify the Mustang, it is no longer a Mustang. Talk of hybrid eco electric muscle cars to me is silly. Hybrid eco electric is not what we like about cars. This is what we like about cars.

Bullitt_8.jpg

Take a good long look. Accept no substitute.

Last edited:

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
Just pasting here what I posted in another thread. Not saying this because I own a Camaro. At the end of the day I like Mustang and Camaro about the same. Some trim levels more than others. Iā€™m saying this because where I work in the industry I get to see and hear things that not everybody gets to see and hear.

Camaro is in the same position Mustang and Challenger are in.

Mustang is staying on S550 instead of moving to S650. Ford may move Mustang to S650 or something else after 2026. Or they may not.

Challenger is staying on LX/LY instead of moving to Giorgio. Word on the street is it may never move to Giorgio. Got that from a very knowledgeable source who got it from Sergio. Of course that had to have been quite a while ago. :crying:For those who doubt, he let that slip on an Autoline broadcast, so there is video evidence of him telling me that. If it doesnā€™t move to Giorgio, Iā€™m hard pressed to figure out where it actually goes.

Camaro is staying on Alpha instead of moving to Alpha2. That will carry Camaro through 2023. After that, there are at least 3 choices....
1) Move to Alpha2 (unlikely)
2) Move to another platform that I am not currently at liberty to identify (most likely)
3) [EcoVertā€™s personal favorite] be discontinued (2nd most likely)

Option 2 includes the potential for various forms of electrification.

Speaking of electrification...just read today that Hellcat will be getting 48V Hybrid in the near future. That oughta be interesting.
Chevy needs to go retro with the Camaro like Ford did with the Mustang for 2005.

I think it'd sell very well, which would put some good pressure on Ford. I really like the S550, but Ford neds to step up their quality game.

It'd be a win for all of us.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
For 50 years Mustang has kept to a theme: short wheelbase sport 2 door long hood fast back pony car with muscle and big muscle variants. I have no problem with every soccer mom, mail carrier, car pool driver, public service vehicle, uber lyft and cab driver piloting electric vehicles. America buys more Camrys in some months then they buy Camaros in a year. Electrify the Camry so what. Electrify the Mustang, it is no longer a Mustang. Talk of hybrid eco electric muscle cars to me is silly. Hybrid eco electric is not what we like about cars. This what we like about cars.
In an ideal world, I'd love the Mustang to remain a pure ICE motivated car, but the automotive world is changing and Mustang needs to keep pace. We're lucky that we can still get a V8 Mustang at all. Whilst a V8 plus hypridization will add weight and complexity, it'll also add significant power and torque. If it's done right, the hybrid Mustang will be a beast.

What isn't a Mustang is the forthcoming "Mustang-inspired fully electric SUV". Putting a pony on the nose of that thing is ignoring 55 years of heritage. Ironic, in that its that very heritage that want to sprinkle on the new car. But that's a rant for another thread.

Still waitin' on the next round of Mustang prototype spyshots to give us some indication of when the next changes are coming :camera:

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Chevy needs to go retro with the Camaro like Ford did with the Mustang for 2005.
They did with the gen5 camaro and they continued it with the gen6 but retro is dead at least poorly done retro. They should have moved on to a new camaro like Mustang changed from the s197 to the s550 then everyone wouldn't be crying because camaro has been put on indefinite {canceled} hold.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
They did with the gen5 camaro and they continued it with the gen6 but retro is dead at least poorly done retro. The should have moved on to a new camaro like Mustang changed from the s197 to the s550 then everyone wouldn't be crying because camaro has been put on indefinite {canceled} hold.
Interesting that Ford are going with a retro design for the forthcoming Bronco though..........perhaps there's place for retro off roaders (although the Toyota FJ would indicate differently). I can't see them going retro for Mustang again though.....although I do believe the S550 pushed the boundaries in terms of losing retro features (I'd love to see a return to the "Dorito" rear 3/4 window, for instance).

I still think what's hurt the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros is their lack of utility/useability.......they appeal to the hardcore fans, but Joe Public wants a car that also offers good trunk and interior space, something the S550 offers over the Camaro, and why, I think, it's sold better.

It was a bold and hugely successful decision to take Mustang worldwide with S550 though. Those additional sales numbers (roughly 25% of overall production) have probably helped the business case to ensure this IS a 7th Gen Mustang. Interesting that GM are going to produce a RHD C8 Corvette (but then they said the same thing about the 5th Gen Camaro)......so I'll believe that one when I see it.

Anyway, this threads about the 7th Gen Mustang and I'm anxious for any news about it! :)

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Interesting that Ford are going with a retro design for the forthcoming Bronco though..........perhaps there's place for retro off roaders (although the Toyota FJ would indicate differently). I can't see them going retro for Mustang again though.....although I do believe the S550 pushed the boundaries in terms of losing retro features (I'd love to see a return to the "Dorito" rear 3/4 window, for instance).

I still think what's hurt the 5th and 6th Gen Camaros is their lack of utility/useability.......they appeal to the hardcore fans, but Joe Public wants a car that also offers good trunk and interior space, something the S550 offers over the Camaro, and why, I think, it's sold better.

It was a bold and hugely successful decision to take Mustang worldwide with S550 though. Those additional sales numbers (roughly 25% of overall production) have probably helped the business case to ensure this IS a 7th Gen Mustang. Interesting that GM are going to produce a RHD C8 Corvette (but then they said the same thing about the 5th Gen Camaro)......so I'll believe that one when I see it.

Anyway, this threads about the 7th Gen Mustang and I'm anxious for any news about it! :)
TwinTurbo closed his two above posts with:

ā€œStill waitin' on the next round of Mustang prototype spyshots to give us some indication of when the next changes are coming." and
"Anyway, this threads about the 7th Gen Mustang and I'm anxious for any news about it!ā€

You canā€™t drive news. What you can drive is GT or EcoBoost, 350 if you must go crazy. You are missing the S550 party. Even the lowly V6 is a dazzling cool car to drive. Forgive this off thread, on the topic about why or why not V6, if they gave every buyer of a GT350 a complimentary free V6, I think at the end of a year the GT350 drivers would have more miles on their V6. On topic, there will always be something newer and better, what we have today is yesterdayā€™s newer and better, buy it drive it, you wonā€™t look back or forward, just look shit hot. If that ainā€™t good enough then wait at the light. It is a long wait. Meanwhile, I have to wash the bugs off the V6 from Saturday's trip to an Illinois car show.

V61.JPG

Last edited:

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
TwinTurbo closed his two above posts with:

ā€œStill waitin' on the next round of Mustang prototype spyshots to give us some indication of when the next changes are coming." and
"Anyway, this threads about the 7th Gen Mustang and I'm anxious for any news about it!ā€

You canā€™t drive news. What you can drive is GT or EcoBoost, 350 if you must go crazy. You are missing the S550 party. Even the lowly V6 is a dazzling cool car to drive. Forgive this off thread, on the topic about why or why not V6, if they gave every buyer of a GT350 a complimentary free V6, I think at the end of a year the GT350 drivers would have more miles on their V6. On topic, there will always be something newer and better, what we have today is yesterdayā€™s newer and better, buy it drive it, you wonā€™t look back or forward, just look shit hot. If that ainā€™t good enough then wait at the light. It is a long wait. Meanwhile, I have to wash the bugs off the V6 from Saturday's trip to an Illinois car show.

V61.JPG
Agreed. Get one. You won't regret it.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Electrify the Mustang, it is no longer a Mustang.
Why?

What if it made the Mustang faster? Say, Tesla's Ludicrous Speed level of fast?

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why?

What if it made the Mustang faster? Say, Tesla's Ludicrous Speed level of fast?
Part of the success of Mustang is affordability. Tesla (imo and wallet) is not affordable.
In 1988 one could spend $8500 on an HO 5.0 Notchback Mustang and run with cars costing $50K.
Don't know about every State, in MO, CA and IN the Highway patrols bought them by the 100s.
They were fast pursuit vehicles and they usually got who they were chasing.
California CHP ran a special on track driving school for the model.
The car world to some degree is always engrossed with extremes and superlatives.
Dodge for example; the 700 HP Hellcat was not enough, they had to top it with an 800 HP Demon.
Ford is me too with GT500 for 2020.
The $1M Buggatti Veyron was not enough they needed a $1.7M deluxe variant. On and on.

For many the Mustang created something hard to find, affordable performance,
head turning looks, a car that is about what we like about cars.
Superlatives and extremes can change that.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
Part of the success of Mustang is affordability. Tesla (imo and wallet) is not affordable.
In 1988 one could spend $8500 on an HO 5.0 Notchback Mustang and run with cars costing $50K.
Don't know about every State, in MO, CA and IN the Highway patrols bought them by the 100s.
They were fast pursuit vehicles and they usually got who they were chasing.
California CHP ran a special on track driving school for the model.
The car world to some degree is always engrossed with extremes and superlatives.
Dodge for example; the 700 HP Hellcat was not enough, they had to top it with an 800 HP Demon.
Ford is me too with GT500 for 2020.
The $1M Buggatti Veyron was not enough they needed a $1.7M deluxe variant. On and on.

For many the Mustang created something hard to find, affordable performance,
head turning looks, a car that is about what we like about cars.
Superlatives and extremes can change that.
Might need to check up on those 1988 prices there...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-prices-through-the-years#1988

And, the Corvette could be had starting at $30K. The Firebird Formula 350 was $14,500. The 1987 Buick Grand National was a little over $16K. So, you didn't need anything close to $50K back then to equal or exceed the Mustang HO 5.0.

But, ok, instead of Ludicrous speed - what if an electric version is faster than any of their non-high-priced vehicles. Say, notably faster than a base GT, but with around GT pricing? I think assuming any electric Mustang that's fast must by definition have a Tesla Model S price tag is a false assumption.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might need to check up on those 1988 prices there...

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/mustang-prices-through-the-years#1988

And, the Corvette could be had starting at $30K. The Firebird Formula 350 was $14,500. The 1987 Buick Grand National was a little over $16K. So, you didn't need anything close to $50K back then to equal or exceed the Mustang HO 5.0.

But, ok, instead of Ludicrous speed - what if an electric version is faster than any of their non-high-priced vehicles. Say, notably faster than a base GT, but with around GT pricing? I think assuming any electric Mustang that's fast must by definition have a Tesla Model S price tag is a false assumption.
Good points and good memory. You kind of backup my point about affordable performance being part of the Mustang thing. In the world of the $30K, $14.5K and $16K great American muscle cars you name, $8.5K in stock trim put a guy in the game with an HO 5.0 Mustang and nothing else did that. Throw in $6K of after market to equal the Firebird price tag and you had a respectable street machine. As for the future, I can see Ford relaunching the T-Bird badge as their hybrid electric sport performance hi-tech 2 door coupe with Tesla level interior. I just want Mustang to stay what it has been. But maybe I am a disappearing breed of car enthusiast.

Last edited:

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another reply off and slightly on topic. Looking at the 2020 Corvette I see a 2017 Ford GT from the rear quarter views, some GT in the front, and plenty of GT in the steering wheel dash. If it were not for Ford GM would not know what to build. That said, the new Corvette looks terrific and also draws plenty form McLaren. Here comes the extremes, 0-60 mph in 3 seconds. While I guess that is the trend, it moves the industry away from a lot of buyers. I hope Ford,
needing to play in the extremes game, continues to offer a Mustang that reaches at least 100,000 units per year. Camaro is at 51,000 units. I think part of that is because they focused on high performance high end content and the higher price walked away from a lot of traditional Camaro buyers.
The V6 AT Mustang at $24k (gone in 2017) is an example of what I mean. For the price the car is a great balance of performance style and affordability.
Whatever mustang gen 7 is, I hope it is still a car with the balance stated above.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.