Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
I think it comes down to the fact that the Mustang is close enough in performance to a lot of cars that performance isn't really the determining factor for most, it's the looks, the comfort, the visibility, etc., along with the name and history. I'll bet there are very few people who say "I like the looks and visibility of the Mustang more than the Camaro, but that second or two disadvantage around a track by professional drivers means I won't buy one."
I agree that the looks/design are as important as performance. The '15 Mustang before the refresh definitely looks better than the Camaro.
Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
You'd better go and visit a rental car lot, if you do you'll see there are plenty of Camaro's there in the rental fleets. That is such a lame comment Camaro fans always bring up; reality is Camaro's are in rental fleets just as Mustang's are.
Whenever i go to the US, which is about twice a year I hire a car, usually an SUV I must admit, and there are always much more Mustangs than Camaros around.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Whenever i go to the US, which is about twice a year I hire a car, usually an SUV I must admit, and there are always much more Mustangs than Camaros around.
It's because the Camaro is a supercar and given the choice all the rental customers choose the supercar. So the Camaros are all rented out.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
7-speed MT-88 manual for S650? :like:

https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-ford-bronco-could-get-a-7-speed-manual-transmi-1829563048

"According to sources who spoke with Jalopnik, Ford has tapped Getrag to build a manual transmission for the upcoming 2020 Ford Bronco. The new transmission which is to be dubbed, the MT-88 will be a seven-speed gearbox and will likely be paired with their 2.7-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.
Ford currently partners with Getrag to produce the MT-82 six-speed manual for the Mustang, so it is possible that this new transmission will feature some similar components or possibly even end up in the next generation of that car."
Could be a great way to help the next-gen Mustang get a better highway MPG rating to help keep it alive with a V8! The 7 speed manual seemed to work out great for the Corvette and 911.

It often depends on the rental company and even individual offices. Some work with Ford, some with Chevy. My 2 local Enterprise locations, one has a Mustang the other has a Camaro. When I rented a Mustang at LAX 2 years ago, I specifically had to stress that I wanted the Mustang because they had both it and the Camaro and were gonna toss me in the Camaro instead. Surprisingly, I can't remember the last time I've seen a rental Challenger. So what excuse do the Camaro6 guys give about the Challenger beating them in sales?

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
You'd better go and visit a rental car lot, if you do you'll see there are plenty of Camaro's there in the rental fleets. That is such a lame comment Camaro fans always bring up; reality is Camaro's are in rental fleets just as Mustang's are.
Depends on where you look. If you look in warm weather states, you'll see lots of Camaros. Especially V8 convertibles. If you look in cold weather states you'll see very few. GM has never said it would stop selling to rental fleets. What they have said is they will sell profitably to rental fleets, which means no more high volume / low content models pushed to rental fleets just to maintain production plant line rates. Rental car companies can buy as many Camaros as they want. They just won't get the low prices they are used to on Impalas and Malibus, so they tend to go ahead and buy the higher cost convertibles and put them in the warmer areas where they can charge a good rate for them.

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I think that the Mustang being more popular as a rental/fleet car helps. Plus the Mustang is now sold in many more countries - I can't get a RHD Camaro in the UK but can get a Mustang.
If Ford tries to turn the Mustang into a German sports car they will lose.
It could also be popular as a rental car because of the points that were posted. You want a car that you can easily toss your luggage in and get on the road without any issues. Camaro isn't as good on storage or visibility so Mustang wins as the better rental (and why everyone picks it in daily usability as well).

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Could be a great way to help the next-gen Mustang get a better highway MPG rating to help keep it alive with a V8! The 7 speed manual seemed to work out great for the Corvette and 911.
This^^^

It often depends on the rental company and even individual offices. Some work with Ford, some with Chevy. My 2 local Enterprise locations, one has a Mustang the other has a Camaro. When I rented a Mustang at LAX 2 years ago, I specifically had to stress that I wanted the Mustang because they had both it and the Camaro and were gonna toss me in the Camaro instead. Surprisingly, I can't remember the last time I've seen a rental Challenger. So what excuse do the Camaro6 guys give about the Challenger beating them in sales?
You typically don't see Challengers in rental fleets because FCA offers a great rental car company package on Charger. They have a "fleet content" package for Charger that they use for police departments and municipal fleets and with some decontenting it also works great for rental cars. Also, for most rental car users, Challenger / Charger is po-tay-to / po-tah-to.

I live in the Detroit area, so what I'm seeing in terms of Challenger sales may be a bit skewed because everybody...... e-v-e-r-y-b-o-d-y here gets some sort of a discount. But anyway, I see two primary reasons....

1. Lease rates / APR on Challengers are ridiculously low and heavily subsidized by FCA. Ford's lease rates and APR for Mustang are higher than Challenger, lower than GM rates for Camaro. For example, today I could get a 5.7L Challenger R/T for $249 a month, 36 months with $2,319 down. By comparison, a 3.6L V6 Camaro LT lease would be $389/month, 39 months with $3,029 down. Both of those are before applying the ubiquitous (in this area) employee or supplier discount.
  2. FCA still offers the 372 hp 5.7L Hemi in Challenger. Again, because I live in Detroit, I probably see more Demons and Hellcats than most of you guys. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see 3 or 4 Hellcats. I see at least one Demon a week. I probably see a couple dozen Challenger R/T 5.7L Hemis for every Hellcat.

Funny thing is, I think a lot of people buying / leasing the R/T are new to "muscle cars" and are flying under the assumption that a V8 is a V8. The cars that most often try to challenge me at a light are R/T Challengers. They seem to assume that all V8 Challengers are as fast as a Hellcat. :giggle:

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Funny thing is, I think a lot of people buying / leasing the R/T are new to "muscle cars" and are flying under the assumption that a V8 is a V8. The cars that most often try to challenge me at a light are R/T Challengers. They seem to assume that all V8 Challengers are as fast as a Hellcat.
Too true! I mean it is kinda true in terms of sound, but the 6.4L is where the real muscle is. My buddy bought his R/T after I got my car and while he loves it, he is definitely planning on getting an upgrade in a few years, currently he's eyeing a Red Eye widebody.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Absolutely......and if it's a more robust design, all the better :like:

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I agree that the looks/design are as important as performance. The '15 Mustang before the refresh definitely looks better than the Camaro.
And in further support of that, I wouldn't have bought an S550 prior to the refresh, and I think the '18 fixed the things I didn't like about the original S550 design. It wouldn't have mattered whether they added the performance or not.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
And in further support of that, I wouldn't have bought an S550 prior to the refresh, and I think the '18 fixed the things I didn't like about the original S550 design. It wouldn't have mattered whether they added the performance or not.
Same here. I was doubtful whether or not I wanted to buy a 15-17, especially since I knew a refresh was coming in 2018. Once I saw the 2018, I wanted one

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Tremec FTW

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
It's because the Camaro is a supercar and given the choice all the rental customers choose the supercar. So the Camaros are all rented out.
Camaro and Mustang are a "super car" in what world?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.