Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You think an office chair CEO is concerned about producing world class cars? LOL.

He’s running a business. My guess is that the Mustang will be irrelevant as a performance car if massive changes are not made, and like now. The hybrid should also be the V8. Anyone thinking the Mustang is a IC engine car in 2025 is living in a dream world. Without drastic changes the Mustang will be a slow backward car nobody will want. Show me any reason for a manual in a few years or a traditional V8.

It’s almost not worth arguing anymore. But horse racing still exists.
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
You know what, that’s kind of brutal that previous post of mine. Hackett knows where the automobile is headed and running the company according to that.

When buyers pestered Elon Musk about this lack of a proper speedometer in the new Model 3 he replied: “You won’t care” and he is right. A manual in a world where most cars drive themselves is ridiculous. Without electric help the GT is tapped out performance wise. Hackett is weighing the costs of placating a dying old guard Mustang base or just slapping the Mustang brand on a totally modern electric car and be done with it. I think he made up his mind...

When was the last time I had a watch on my wrist? Why do I leave my wallet and credit cards in the car unless it’s a large purchase. Things change and worse yet, I didn’t think or lament the loss.

Sorry...

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
He needs to look further than the end of his nose. :frusty:
This seems to be the biggest issue with Hackett... he was hired to raise Ford's stock price, and that seems to be all he cares about; short term stock price. He seems to only look about a year or 2 into the future, which is fine in regards to a desk chair company, but detrimental in a rapidly changing industry like the car business.

These are certainly unsettling times for Ford enthusiasts :(
These are unsettling times for the enthusiast in general. I hate to say it fellas, but the more I hear about the future of the car industry, the more I fear for it.

I'm a strong believer that history repeats itself. We're currently in a golden age of cars, and have been since about 2010 or so... our economy is great, gas prices are (or were) low, and our cars are faster and better looking than ever. However, we're coming up to the point that mainstream appeal is changing, and it's moving away from the enthusiast view. It really is a repeat of the last golden age; cars started getting exciting in the late 50s-early 60s, mid 60s really amped things up, and by the late 60s we were seeing cars with simply unbelievable (for the time) performance attributes. But, with the 70s approaching and fuel prices on the rise, the focus started to be aimed more towards fuel efficiency and away from performance. Now, it seems focus is shifting from performance to utility, but it seems to be shifting all the same.

and then we went into 40 years of miserable performance and boring design (save for the Italians)

The scariest thing about this is, since we seem to be moving into the direction of utility, this may not be capable of a rebound. at least with fuel efficiency concerns, we could still have exciting small cars that fit that criteria (see: foxbody, MR2, miata). But with utility being a focus, there's no way to make an exciting small SUV.

I hate these S650 threads, because as much as I WANT to be excited about the car, I just feel worse about it with the more I hear about it, and I start to sound like some doomsday lunatic

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
One question..... considering that all Ford's are getting "rotary shifter".... how far are we from getting a Mustang having one of those?

At first I thought that the 2018 was getting one then I was relieved it didn't. Now after this news (about the S650 being put "on hold") I'm starting to believe that the regular transmission shifter may last some additional couple of years since the mustang is not getting an update really soon (maybe a "small" change 13-14 style or smaller for 2022?) I'm hoping for the update but not for the possible incorporation of that part.

What I'm more afraid of is that now with the upcoming GT500 (with it's fake "manual shifter" on prototypes/mules) and the "imminent" use of the DCT it seems that it will have that kind of shifter :(

Someone can please tell me that I'm wrong and that's not gonna happen just yet? I started to worry about this because yesterday I was driving a fusion and I really didn't like "it".

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Ford needs to generate profit on design work already done, and free up time to revisit quality issues.

I strongly suspect they are considering concurrent S550 and S650 production. I could see S650 being bumped out even another year and have the final GT include an option package that is unified 5.0 GT350. That would run last 2 years of 4 yr concurrent GT500.

I could see the S650 being closer to Focus chassis based to get weight down. Just style it like a mini Stang and presto! More profits. Allowing concurrent S550 “heavy” stang sales may require very little continuity engineering and all profit margin.
The last 2 years of S-197 (2013/2014 GTs) the front bumper became very GT500 like. They've kind of already done that with the 2018 and the lower hood. But maybe they're waiting until 2020/2021 to give us a GT that looks just like a GT350 and performs about the same too with the 480hp version/tune from the Bullit. Think about that 480hp with PP2 tires and A10 auto!

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I think it makes sense to move Mustang to CD6 and utilize slightly modified components from S550 such as the double ball joint front suspension and Integral Link IRS. The built-on-CD6 Lincoln Aviator, though in concept guise, seemed to indicate that S550’s IRS will fit.
I've seen nothing to corroborate the '25MY rumour in the last few days so, until then, I'll take this post's '22 ('23MY?) as more reliable info......for now.

To back this up, we know the new CD6 Explorer is due to be a '20MY with the sister car (Lincoln Aviator) being a '21MY......you'd expect these two to lead development of the components for CD6 and, if S650 is sharing some of that, then it'll follow on behind. Therefore, I can believe an early '23MY for the next-gen Mustang......but I find it hard to believe they'd sit on it for an extra 2 years after 2022.

I appreciate things are in a state of flux at Ford, so nothing is certain, but surely, when taking economies of scale into the equation, you'd want to pace all the development of the CD6 cars to make maximum benefit of component sharing and, thus, have the release dates follow closely to each other?

Farruko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red GT 2016
Actually Ghostrealm has a very good source, it would be nice to hear more about it.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Well, I really hope his source is wrong but, as with most things Ford/Mustang related, we're not going to know for sure for a loooooooong time :frusty:

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Well, I really hope his source is wrong but, as with most things Ford/Mustang related, we're not going to know for sure for a loooooooong time :frusty:
Yeah, I hope he's wrong...

In my opinion this is a good news (in a way). The reason why the Mustang is (supposedly, in case Ghostrealm and Farruko have good info) getting a late update is because it's doing very good right now, selling good and still being profitable. IF this was not the case, I'm sure it would have had the same luck as the Fusion.. or something similar.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It might be selling well now but by 2025 it'll be in dire need of replacement. This industry moves too fast for a company to rest on its laurels :tsk:

Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
If that's the case, hopefully the decline in sales over coming years is seen as reason to release the next gen instead of confirmation of dying interest in the Mustang which they use to cancel it entirely.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It might be selling well now but by 2025 it'll be in dire need of replacement. This industry moves too fast for a company to rest on its laurels :tsk:
Well.... The challenger still sells well (it was first introduced as a 2008MY) and it will get it's replacement by 2022MY wearing this same platform but with some tweaks and changes.

FCA sold 64,537 last year, that's a lot if we take in consideration that GM with the recently updated Camaro (2016 6G) only sold 67,940 units (Just as reference, Ford sold 81k units)..

Let's go a little back in time. The 6G Mustang arrived as a 2015MY, the Challenger got its mid cycle refresh also as a 2015MY and the Camaro 6G arrived as a 2016MY; let's see the numbers of the last 3 years:

Mustang
2015 - 122,349
2016 - 105,932
2017 - 81,866

Camaro
2015 - 77,502
2016 - 72,705
2017 - 67,940

Challenger
2015 - 66,365
2016 - 64,478
2017 - 64,537

I guess Ford is taking note from FCA right now, the Mustang 6G might be a 10 year run for the same reason the current Challenger generation will last 14 years in total (maybe 15): Good sales.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
Let's check a little bit of history.

First Gen:
1965 - 1973 (9 years)

Second Gen:

1974 - 1977 (4 years)

Third Gen:
1978 - 1993 (16 years)

Fourth Gen:
1994 - 2004 (11 years)

Fifth Gen:
2005 - 2014 (10 years)

Sixth Gen:
2015 - 2024 (10 years) -Maybe-

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Let's check a little bit of history.

First Gen:
1965 - 1973 (9 years)

Second Gen:

1974 - 1977 (4 years)

Third Gen:
1978 - 1993 (16 years)

Fourth Gen:
1994 - 2004 (11 years)

Fifth Gen:
2005 - 2014 (10 years)

Sixth Gen:
2015 - 2024 (10 years) -Maybe-
I would revise your history and say the "1st Gen" is really 4 very distinct cars

1964-1966
1967-1968 redesigned to fit the big block
1969-1970 car got bigger again
1971-1973 even larger

Those cars don't have a simple face lift IMO. Yes they have some common parts, but I don't think they can be lumped together as one design.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I agree, although they are all referred to as the "First Generation" Mustang.

Lets hope that if the '26MY really is the next all-new car, that we have at least one more significant refresh of the S550 between now and then!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.