Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Guess I’m going to be saving, I want an all electric w clutch mustang like Sema

Ecoboost will be my trip taker because- fuel.

Electric will be daily
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
There will be an electric normal Mustang also along with the Mach E I assume.
Guess I’m going to be saving, I want an all electric w clutch mustang like Sema

Ecoboost will be my trip taker because- fuel.

Electric will be daily
I would expect an E-Stang for sure, probably after the run of the GT500 is over or nearing its end. It will most likely NOT be anything like the SEMA car. Probably more like Taycan.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
There will be an electric normal Mustang also along with the Mach E I assume.
I think that's a safe bet......but we may have to wait a few years (and for the 7th Gen) before we get a fully electric Mustang pony car. We'll get a hybrid first (quite possibly the forthcoming Mach 1) :)

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
To be fair, memory nothing, LOL - my memory's a cobwebby mess, I had to do some online searching, just on a vague sort of "wait, I know it's been a while, but those numbers don't quite sound right, maybe?" thought.

And, as a guy who used to say "electric is crap" and "I'd never use traction/stability control", well, I'm changing my tune. After all, in my day, 200-250 HP was about the best you could get at a reasonable price (Formula 350, Mustang 5.0, Grand National). The first time I really leaned on my 2015, I realized exactly how much progress had been made, what 435 horsepower and gobs of torque really meant, and decided "Yeah, traction/stability control is going to stay ON, thank you very much."

I was also skeptical of electric motors, but, while my Prius is interesting and quiet, hearing about how full-electrics can perform, and even a video from Jay Leno talking about how the torque is right there from a dead stop and how they're going to outdo the gasoline engine in racing, well, I stared reality in the face.

Reality stared back. And I was the one that blinked.

I love V8s - the power, and the visceral feeling from the sound. But I know electrics are going to outdo them, and simplify the car in the process. I'll miss the sound, though.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if Ford tried to design for both possibilities, though a car that can be gasoline-only, hybrid, or electric-only. After all, think of the plethora of engine options that were sometimes offered in the Mustang's early-ish days (late 60s to maybe 1971). Six-bangers to various small blocks, and a few big block options. Even later, 4cyl, turbo-4, 6-cyl and 8-cyl.

I'm pretty confident that the Mustang will keep its essence. I am SURE they won't try another misguided Probe-will-be-the-new-Mustang misstep. Multiple tiers of performance for multiple price categories. Similar to how you can go today with base model, GT, Bullitt, GT350, GT500.
I am a EE in the power field, so yes, I like electric....
But I also want RANGE. And that's something electrics can't do...yet. Could it be done? Yes. But it will also take a huge investment in infrastructure. It will also require us to be smart and may require manufacturers to make some compromises in the dimensions and standardization of battery packs.

While I don't drive often, when I do, I often drive 100 miles or more in a single trip....maybe 2-3 times a week. Not as bad as my old commute though of 180 miles each day.
Then I also drive 1000+ miles 2-3 times a year to visit family. Yes, I stop on occasion...to fuel, let the dogs out, let me empty out all the caffeine I've been consuming the past 350 or so miles. This stop takes about 15-30 minutes, which is not nearly enough time to get a full charge. I also drive in the cold, when batter efficiency is lower so the range is cut more...plus heating for the car.

Electric cars are great for places with lots of infrastructure, and low mileage trips. It's not so good for loading up the family, the dogs, and heading out on a road trip.

However, once they solve the charging issues, I will probably change my tune and get one. Until then...get me a V8

oh...and with regards to mileage on V8s....I've driven a full sized car with a TT-V8 the past 8 years (and many other N/A V8s before then). Oftentimes, the loaner cars I get are smaller sedans with turbo I4s...and the mileage I get on them is much worse on them over the same roads and same accelerations because I have to push the I4s a lot harder than the V8 for the same acceleration. To me, with real world driving, I am better off with a V8 than an I4 or I6.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
While I don't drive often, when I do, I often drive 100 miles or more in a single trip....maybe 2-3 times a week.
Even the base Model 3 can handle that commute... Even in the winter.

Then I also drive 1000+ miles 2-3 times a year to visit family. Yes, I stop on occasion...to fuel, let the dogs out, let me empty out all the caffeine I've been consuming the past 350 or so miles. This stop takes about 15-30 minutes, which is not nearly enough time to get a full charge. I also drive in the cold, when batter efficiency is lower so the range is cut more...plus heating for the car.
Model 3 AWD can get around 250-280 in the winter months and can take as little as 45 min to charge (250kw supercharger V3).

I agree that infrastructure needs to catch up but at least the Tesla EVs can do pretty damn close to what you are asking a car to do....

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I would expect an E-Stang for sure, probably after the run of the GT500 is over or nearing its end. It will most likely NOT be anything like the SEMA car. Probably more like Taycan.
I want an affordable EV sports car.... Not some damn $100k supercar like vehicle...

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I want an affordable EV sports car.... Not some damn $100k supercar like vehicle...
I meant that more in the vein of how it operates than how much it costs. The Taycan is arguably the first dedicated sports car (sports sedan) that is a pure EV. The manual transmission SEMA Mustang was more of a “because we can” exercise than anything pointing towards future product. The Taycan is an attempt at basically recreating the Panamera in an updated, all-electric form and not sacrificing any performance in the process. I can see an electric Mustang following that path.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
I meant that more in the vein of how it operates than how much it costs. The Taycan is arguably the first dedicated sports car (sports sedan) that is a pure EV. The manual transmission SEMA Mustang was more of a “because we can” exercise than anything pointing towards future product. The Taycan is an attempt at basically recreating the Panamera in an updated, all-electric form and not sacrificing any performance in the process. I can see an electric Mustang following that path.
I am following you now.

I always thought it would be cool to have a paddle shifted 3 speed gearbox for an EV sports car..... The Taycan has a 2 speed "auto".

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
I love how he says you can't put on a helmet in a 6th gen Camaro.

heh...don't convertibles usually have more headroom?

seriously though, if you are short in the torso, you can put a helmet on in most cars (or wear a helmet in most cars. If you are tall and your torso is long (like mine is), you can't even wear a helmet in most cars. I would say that 90 percent of the cars and trucks I have driven, ridden in, or tested. my head is either hitting the roof, or my hair (what remains of it), is brushing the top in a normal seated position

I'm about 6'2, but long in the torso (or big in the head says Mrs. Stonehauler). I tried sitting in the Giulia and even leaning back my head was hitting the roof and my neck had a crick it it. Heck, even by F350 (with sunroof) has me hitting my head on the roof with just small potholes (not a Michigan potholes either)

2023 is right about when I will be looking at a new car, so I am excited for it.

If they offer a high performance hybrid (500+hp combined, 650 lb-ft of torque, AWD) version....I _MIGHT_ consider that too, but V8 would be my preference

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
A EV mustang coupe will be like the Mach E a lot more money than I can afford to or want to spend.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
He doesn't say you can't wear a helmet... you just have to put it on before you get in.
This helmet discussion is funny, it echoes another thread about convertible v coupe.
The photo of Martin with a helmet on is worth a chuckle.
I like to drive long mileage loops in rural counties where I know the roads.
A coupe is stiffer unibody, warmer, cooler (degrees F), lighter, and better
handling IMO than a drop top. I have owned two convertibles and enjoyed them.
Top down you are more aware of the car, the road, the exhaust note.
For me, a major nod to coupe is music. 6 CD MP3 Shaker 500. Sometimes I just listen
to the engine. A lot of times it's the music that makes me take the long road.

Martin is a musician. Unless he has ear buds in there I got to believe the helmet
is not everyday.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This helmet discussion is funny, it echoes another thread about convertible v coupe.
The photo of Martin with a helmet on is worth a chuckle.
I like to drive long mileage loops in rural counties where I know the roads.
A coupe is stiffer unibody, warmer, cooler (degrees F), lighter, and better
handling IMO than a drop top. I have owned two convertibles and enjoyed them.
Top down you are more aware of the car, the road, the exhaust note.
I have thought hard about a Cobra at times and always thought if I went that way
I would wear a helmet with a roll bar behind it. Too each their own.
For me, a major nod to coupe is music. 6 CD MP3 Shaker 500. Sometimes I just listen
to the engine. A lot of times it's the music that makes me take the long road.

Martin is a musician. Unless he has ear buds in there I got to believe the helmet
is not everyday.
That photo was at the starting line at Milan Dragway. Thus the helmet.
2C87AF72-9282-4A6E-AD28-F9BE0740121A.jpeg
6606AD17-4F5B-4FE1-8349-8E45E8B383EF.png
1CA0CAC9-BF87-4E00-B62D-8B643D82CBBD.png

Status
Not open for further replies.