7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

88lx50

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
This is definitely in line with offering a 4 door version, so maybe it's no April Fools.

Advertisement

zackmd1

Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang 429, Tesla Model 3
So if this is true, does it mean that Ford is taking a page out of the dodge playbook and will use a platform for 1 or 2 decades at a time?
Keep in mind the S197 ran from 2005 to 2014 MY. So Ford has done something similar before. It never really made much sense to me that they would be doing an all new platform so soon beyond having competition (Camaro). We all know how that has turned out....

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
Everything in that article makes sense to me. With the CAFE standards getting more strict in 2025, growing the Mustang might be the only way to keep offering a V8. And in doing this, it'll improve the livability and interior space of the Mustang, one of the reasons the Challengers sell well (more usable back seat, more headroom, etc). Everyone likes to complain about the Challenger's weight and handling, but after an afternoon of lapping the widebody version around the Club Motorsports track in New Hampshire, in my opinion it's very impressive what they'll do.
I've noticed that Challengers aren't that bad on the road course as well.

While I really want the V8 to continue, in my opinion the Mustang is already too big and boaty. I'm a big guy and I have no problems fitting. But I never try to carry more than one passenger. I would like to see the back seat and trunk get smaller, frankly. Right now the Mustang pretends to be for four people, but generally it just adds up to less performance and more wasted space.

If the Mustang becomes Challenger sized, I might have to go to a (gasp) Camaro.

EcoVert

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed that Challengers aren't that bad on the road course as well.

While I really want the V8 to continue, in my opinion the Mustang is already too big and boaty. I'm a big guy and I have no problems fitting. But I never try to carry more than one passenger. I would like to see the back seat and trunk get smaller, frankly. Right now the Mustang pretends to be for four people, but generally it just adds up to less performance and more wasted space.

If the Mustang becomes Challenger sized, I might have to go to a (gasp) Camaro.
I wouldn't worry about a Challenger sized Mustang Ford often throws bs rumors out just to keep us guessing and to gage public opinion on certain Ideals. And as far as camaro goes there aren't any rumors any teasers from gm of a 7th gen. Only thing I have found is a bad Aprils fools joke on gm authority. Won't be a 7th gen unless they put the name on a suv.

Hack

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Fiesta
I wouldn't worry about a Challenger sized Mustang Ford often throws bs rumors out just to keep us guessing and to gage public opinion on certain Ideals. And as far as camaro goes there aren't any rumors any teasers from gm of a 7th gen. Only thing I have found is a bad Aprils fools joke on gm authority. Won't be a 7th gen unless they put the name on a suv.
I hope they keep building the Camaro. If GM kills the Camaro then I would understand why Ford would wait a long time for a Mustang refresh.

However if the Mustang refresh ends up growing a lot in size or taken over with hydbridization, please Ford delay it as much as possible.

SergeyMelnik

Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'll bet the mid cycle refresh will include the 5.2 cpc, hybrid option on top of that which is where I think most the extra weight will come from and hopefully that 7 spd manual they've been working on.

68fbjjz109

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
So if this is true, does it mean that Ford is taking a page out of the dodge playbook and will use a platform for 1 or 2 decades at a time?
Lest be honest, most Mustang platforms run for a decade at a time... the foxbody was long in the tooth, SN195, SN197... and now S550.

On thing to keep in mind the CD6 Explorer has Aluminum impact beams, Magnesium front end module, Aluminum extruded engine bay rails, cast aluminum shocktowers, Magnesium cross car beam, and lots more high strength steel. So while it might grow a little in size and mass it very well has the ability to come in lighter.

OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT

That, for me, is the internet's biggest failing. They're quoting the same source (Automobile)........then someone will quote R&T and it just snowballs, but everyone assumes its true as they've seen the same story on 27 websites.

There could be truth in this, of course, but then it was apparently non-Ford sources that provided the information.

Sadly, only time will tell whether this is accurate information or not........but I'm not totally sold on this story yet.

Stonehauler

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
Could it be an April fools joke? Maybe...

That said, it has a lot going for it, and a lot going against it.

Right now Ford has some really nice small sporty car offerings in the "hot hatch" segment. Moving to a slightly larger platform could allow it to compete with the bigger boys...BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
3 series wheelbase is 112.2 and the 5 is 117.1. As said in the article, the Challenger is 116.2 Moving to a middle ground of 112 to 114, or even 116 could open up some options.

2 door and 4 door versions, a REAL backseat. Stuff that makes it a bit more family friendly. Like it or not, it's a numbers game. Having a 4 door version would also open it back up to police vehicles.

However, that probably means more weight gain, and more less performance, unless they spend the money to make it an upscale car. Ford has been very reluctant to do that.

To be competitive, it would need 4-500 hp V8 - doable.
A fantastic suspension setup. This has not been Ford's wheelhouse.
A halo car like the M series - doable with the Shelby name, or some other hallowed name.
A nicer interior. - again, hard to do with the price point they are at.

GT would probably need to go to 10k or so USD in today's money for a fully loaded vehicle.

It will still need to go around corners, and fit and finish will have to significantly improve.

Can Ford do it? Yes. WILL Ford do it? Using past performance as a predictor of future results...No, they won't.

That's also discounting the political climate that will shift at some point, with some politician who "knows better than us" trying to force us all into electric cars.

Cardude99

Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Lest be honest, most Mustang platforms run for a decade at a time... the foxbody was long in the tooth, SN195, SN197... and now S550.

On thing to keep in mind the CD6 Explorer has Aluminum impact beams, Magnesium front end module, Aluminum extruded engine bay rails, cast aluminum shocktowers, Magnesium cross car beam, and lots more high strength steel. So while it might grow a little in size and mass it very well has the ability to come in lighter.
I guess I was more intrigued with the changing timelines Ford keeps doing. I was wondering if they see that it's working for dodge so why can't it work for us sort of thing. Makes you wonder if the Camaro will follow suit.

jacknifetoaswan

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Right now Ford has some really nice small sporty car offerings in the "hot hatch" segment. Moving to a slightly larger platform could allow it to compete with the bigger boys...BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
3 series wheelbase is 112.2 and the 5 is 117.1. As said in the article, the Challenger is 116.2 Moving to a middle ground of 112 to 114, or even 116 could open up some options.
You can't just quote wheelbases and expect to convey the real size of a vehicle. Most European cars, especially sport sedans, have extremely small overhangs front and rear, so while they have LONG wheelbases, they are shorter, overall. American cars typically have much longer overhangs so that we can get more trunk space and longer hoods. The S550 has a 107" wheelbase and is 188" overall. The F10 BMW 5-series has a 117" wheelbase and between 193" and 197" long, overall.

They also weigh about the same as an S550 with two more doors and a lot more usable room, so...

JR

likeaboss

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
The last thing people want is a bigger Mustang. Eventually the Challenger and Charger will be smaller so for Ford to go the opposite direction would be weird.

dirty-max

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
Make a bigger mustang and you could throw the new 7.3l in it and the torque would more than move the increase in weight I bet.

MustangJoe84

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
I say keep the current version around long enough (which is a fantastic design) and it might be more likely spawn special editions like Mach1, Boss, Bullitt etc. to keep interest up.

Advertisement

Status
Not open for further replies.

9 - JLT Performance

Advertisement