Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
A bigger, heavier, car eh? Sure, it'll drive better on the highway, but say goodbye to tracks and autocross. This thing sounds like it'll be the same as a Chally... A real porker!

Peter_c61fe7_290159.jpg
Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Well if that report is true, there goes my desire for an S650. The mustang needs to get smaller, not bigger...I was a bit concerned of just that possiblity though being that the CD6 platform is mostly an SUV platform.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
April 1st article, huh?
Let's hope although I would not be surprised if it is true based off of how Ford is currently heading with their vehicle designs.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
That's what we need - a big, fat Challenger sized Mustang.

Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
So if this is true, does it mean that Ford is taking a page out of the dodge playbook and will use a platform for 1 or 2 decades at a time?

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Don't believe everything you read. But the internet NEVER lies :computerrage:

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I want a new, lighter pony myself so the prices for parts will go down, sheesh!

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Everything in that article makes sense to me. With the CAFE standards getting more strict in 2025, growing the Mustang might be the only way to keep offering a V8. And in doing this, it'll improve the livability and interior space of the Mustang, one of the reasons the Challengers sell well (more usable back seat, more headroom, etc). Everyone likes to complain about the Challenger's weight and handling, but after an afternoon of lapping the widebody version around the Club Motorsports track in New Hampshire, in my opinion it's very impressive what they'll do.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
This is definitely in line with offering a 4 door version, so maybe it's no April Fools.

Sponsored

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
So if this is true, does it mean that Ford is taking a page out of the dodge playbook and will use a platform for 1 or 2 decades at a time?
Keep in mind the S197 ran from 2005 to 2014 MY. So Ford has done something similar before. It never really made much sense to me that they would be doing an all new platform so soon beyond having competition (Camaro). We all know how that has turned out....

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Everything in that article makes sense to me. With the CAFE standards getting more strict in 2025, growing the Mustang might be the only way to keep offering a V8. And in doing this, it'll improve the livability and interior space of the Mustang, one of the reasons the Challengers sell well (more usable back seat, more headroom, etc). Everyone likes to complain about the Challenger's weight and handling, but after an afternoon of lapping the widebody version around the Club Motorsports track in New Hampshire, in my opinion it's very impressive what they'll do.
I've noticed that Challengers aren't that bad on the road course as well.

While I really want the V8 to continue, in my opinion the Mustang is already too big and boaty. I'm a big guy and I have no problems fitting. But I never try to carry more than one passenger. I would like to see the back seat and trunk get smaller, frankly. Right now the Mustang pretends to be for four people, but generally it just adds up to less performance and more wasted space.

If the Mustang becomes Challenger sized, I might have to go to a (gasp) Camaro.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I've noticed that Challengers aren't that bad on the road course as well.

While I really want the V8 to continue, in my opinion the Mustang is already too big and boaty. I'm a big guy and I have no problems fitting. But I never try to carry more than one passenger. I would like to see the back seat and trunk get smaller, frankly. Right now the Mustang pretends to be for four people, but generally it just adds up to less performance and more wasted space.

If the Mustang becomes Challenger sized, I might have to go to a (gasp) Camaro.
I wouldn't worry about a Challenger sized Mustang Ford often throws bs rumors out just to keep us guessing and to gage public opinion on certain Ideals. And as far as camaro goes there aren't any rumors any teasers from gm of a 7th gen. Only thing I have found is a bad Aprils fools joke on gm authority. Won't be a 7th gen unless they put the name on a suv.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't worry about a Challenger sized Mustang Ford often throws bs rumors out just to keep us guessing and to gage public opinion on certain Ideals. And as far as camaro goes there aren't any rumors any teasers from gm of a 7th gen. Only thing I have found is a bad Aprils fools joke on gm authority. Won't be a 7th gen unless they put the name on a suv.
I hope they keep building the Camaro. If GM kills the Camaro then I would understand why Ford would wait a long time for a Mustang refresh.

However if the Mustang refresh ends up growing a lot in size or taken over with hydbridization, please Ford delay it as much as possible.

SergeyMelnik

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sergey
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I'll bet the mid cycle refresh will include the 5.2 cpc, hybrid option on top of that which is where I think most the extra weight will come from and hopefully that 7 spd manual they've been working on.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.