Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Are your sure this is not an early sketch for the GT500?
*edit* Take close look at the hood vent, it's definitely a GT500 sketch

It totally looks like the (here pretty much hated) 2019 Camaro SS:
2019-chevrolet-camaro-ss-001.jpg
Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Don't let Christopher Stevens design the new Mustang without supervision/medication, I fear it will look like a transformer.
Please go get Kemal Curic to help out !!!!!!!
2022-jpg.jpg

No more gaping mulls

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
2022-jpg.jpg

No more gaping mulls
Unfortunately, you should expect see more of them. To get power AND fuel efficiency, engines need a lot of air. Especially performance vehicles that require a lot of cooling. To make matters worse, in order to meet US Crash regulations, the big open grills will require substantial bracing (black center bar that every LOVES on GT500 and Camaro SS).

Reactions: Ace

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
To make matters worse, in order to meet US Crash regulations, the big open grills will require substantial bracing (black center bar that every LOVES on GT500 and Camaro SS).
To me they should just stop painting center bars black and it will be fine, or at least make it an optional feature like all the other exterior vinly/paint stuff.
If you want a big grille, just do a big grille with hidden bracing (Audi is doing that for years)

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It could also be a sketch of the second facelift...
If.......if there's another refresh for the final '21/'22MYs, yeah, I could definitely see that. But I doubt we'll get one.......unless we see some camo'd S550s again this year.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Bring it on! The GT500 look on the last 2 years of the S197 was magic.
I always thought those cars looked like they were cross-eyed and had a pig nose. I really liked the 2010/2011 style, though.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Are your sure this is not an early sketch for the GT500?
*edit* Take close look at the hood vent, it's definitely a GT500 sketch

It totally looks like the (here pretty much hated) 2019 Camaro SS:
2019-chevrolet-camaro-ss-001.jpg
I feel like I saw this drawing associated with a GT500 press release... I'm certain it was just a sketch for the GT500

Unfortunately, you should expect see more of them. To get power AND fuel efficiency, engines need a lot of air. Especially performance vehicles that require a lot of cooling. To make matters worse, in order to meet US Crash regulations, the big open grills will require substantial bracing (black center bar that every LOVES on GT500 and Camaro SS).
See, I don't understand this... People don't like big grilles, you say they're needed, okay. But then, you go on to say that they need to have bracing, which is why they need to have the black bar.

So, if people don't like the gaping maws, and the justification isn't there because the maws don't function the way that they're being justified to, then WHY PAINT THE BUMPER BLACK WHEN YOU COULD JUST LEAVE IT BODY COLORED AND AVOID ALL OF THESE ISSUES?!

I'm sorry, I'm just beyond frustrated with the current automotive industry. Stop giving us CUVs and massive grilles... we want sleek, functionally designed cars, god damn it!

I always thought those cars looked like they were cross-eyed and had a pig nose. I really liked the 2010/2011 style, though.
Agreed, I think most people just associate the 13-14 refresh with the awesome taillights, and that's why they like it so much. I feel like if the 10-12 debuted with those taillights, it would've carried the design through to 2015

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like I saw this drawing associated with a GT500 press release... I'm certain it was just a sketch for the GT500

See, I don't understand this... People don't like big grilles, you say they're needed, okay. But then, you go on to say that they need to have bracing, which is why they need to have the black bar.

So, if people don't like the gaping maws, and the justification isn't there because the maws don't function the way that they're being justified to, then WHY PAINT THE BUMPER BLACK WHEN YOU COULD JUST LEAVE IT BODY COLORED AND AVOID ALL OF THESE ISSUES?!

I'm sorry, I'm just beyond frustrated with the current automotive industry. Stop giving us CUVs and massive grilles... we want sleek, functionally designed cars, god damn it!

Agreed, I think most people just associate the 13-14 refresh with the awesome taillights, and that's why they like it so much. I feel like if the 10-12 debuted with those taillights, it would've carried the design through to 2015
I guess I don’t get the “maws don’t function” part. They do what they’re designed to do. They suck in massive amounts of air for leaner combustion and for cooling. The “paint the bumper black” part? I got nuthin’. No idea why that is or why there isn’t more effort put into putting the bar behind the grill.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I guess I don’t get the “maws don’t function” part. They do what they’re designed to do. They suck in massive amounts of air for leaner combustion and for cooling. The “paint the bumper black” part? I got nuthin’. No idea why that is or why there isn’t more effort put into putting the bar behind the grill.
What I'm saying is that if there is bracing and bodywork and such filling the space to where it blocks the airflow, then it can't function as a gaping maw, and has no reason to exist. I mean, look at the Toyota Avalon... almost the whole front end is grille, but (if I had to guess a number) about 40% of it is just filled in plastic with a honeycomb overlay to look like a grille. I can understand doing a bit of this to reduce lift (like the left side "triangle" of the Mustang's grille) but anywhere near half the grille is just useless

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I'm saying is that if there is bracing and bodywork and such filling the space to where it blocks the airflow, then it can't function as a gaping maw, and has no reason to exist. I mean, look at the Toyota Avalon... almost the whole front end is grille, but (if I had to guess a number) about 40% of it is just filled in plastic with a honeycomb overlay to look like a grille. I can understand doing a bit of this to reduce lift (like the left side "triangle" of the Mustang's grille) but anywhere near half the grille is just useless
Ok, I get what you’re saying. I did look at a number of vehicles at the auto show yesterday that were as you described. I think some of the reason for that has to be that if they only “black grilled” that open flow areas, we’d have some really weird grill shapes. But, yeah I do see several where part of the area behind the grill is filled in.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/next-ford-mustang-details-on-sale-info/

The Next Ford Mustang: What We Know
Ford’s next pony is still some time away.

While Chevrolet continues to have issues and delays regarding development of its C8 mid-engine Corvette, Ford is moving along with plans to replace the current Mustang pony car. As we’ve reported here for years, the next Ford Mustang is to migrate to the flexible new CD6 platform that underpins the latest Ford Explorer and Lincoln Aviator SUVs.

The current Ford Mustang, known by aficionados as the S550, is the sole model on its rear-wheel-drive unibody architecture. After one generation spanning nine model years as a transverse-engine, front-drive-based SUV, the new Explorer is switching to the new, longitudinal-engine unibody CD6 architecture, while spawning the rebirth of the Aviator. These two three-row SUVs will provide the CD6 platform with the volume necessary to make the future Mustang cost effective for Ford Motor Company.

Last year, Ford sold 261,571 Explorers and only 75,842 Mustangs. By next year, the volume of CD6 platform vehicles could reach 300,000 units annually between just the Explorer and Aviator. An all-new Ford Edge also switches to the rear-drive bones, one source says, by 2021. But the Mustang won’t supplement the CD6 volume numbers until long afterward.

It’s Gonna Be Bigger

According to sources familiar with the strategy, but not connected to Ford, the CD6 Mustang replacement has been delayed by several years. When it arrives, it will be larger than the current car, closer to the Dodge Challenger in overall size if not girth.

The dimensional differences are significant. Based on its exterior dimensions, the Dodge Challenger is a full-size coupe, at 197.9 inches long on a 116.2-inch wheelbase, while the current Ford Mustang is 188.3 inches long and has a 107.1-inch wheelbase. Both cars’ widths are within 0.1 inch of each other, but the Challenger is taller, at 57.5 inches high versus the Mustang’s 54.4 inches.

Sources say that while the CD6 platform is designed to be highly flexible, there are certain components that can’t be scaled down as far as the current Mustang. Consider that the Challenger turned out to be as tall and long as it is because designers had to make the proportions work with the tall front cowl of its platform mates, the Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300. A Mustang with a longer wheelbase also would give it more EPA fuel-mileage leeway, based on its larger “footprint.”

Arrival Time

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It’s the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022.

The longer lifecycle of the S550 Ford Mustang is somewhat typical of two-door and sporty models, and also follows Fiat Chrysler’s strategy for the Dodge Challenger and its four-door siblings. Under an earlier Fiat Chrysler Five-Year Plan, the Challenger and Charger were to be downsized on Alfa Romeo’s RWD platform, and the Chrysler 300 was to be discontinued or replaced with a FWD sedan, all before the end of this decade. But the Chrysler 300 as currently constituted got a reprieve, and it appears that the Challenger/Charger/300 will continue on their current RWD platform, with their current full-size dimensions, for the time being, with a major upgrade to the architecture coming within the next few years. Combined, the three full-size cars sold a fairly healthy 193,895 in 2018, including an unspecified number of Dodge Charger Pursuit police cars. That’s 194K actual cars, not SUVs or trucks.

The Dodge Challenger outsold the Chevrolet Camaro last year to place second in the segment behind the Mustang. (Speaking of which, talk of a future Camaro has been conspicuous by its absence.) Ford was looking at a rear-wheel-drive, longitudinal-engine car based off the CD6 architecture to replace the Continental at the top of the Lincoln range; possibly a large two-door Mark IX coupe, though considering Mustang is a two-door, a four-door Lincoln “coupe” was more likely. Consultants hired to straighten out Ford’s post-Alan Mulally resources convinced the automaker to ice the Lincoln, sources say.

Last edited by a moderator:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Good grief......what to believe?!?!?

One source says the CD6 Mustang, which goes by the codename S650, appears to be delayed at least to the 2026 model year, while another source guesses 2028 or 2029, either of which makes it less of a product plan than a promise to keep building the icon. In the interim, the S550 Mustang will receive a major mid-cycle facelift to update its current D2C platform and reskin it with new sheetmetal from nose to tail, which will require some underbody work. It’s the mid-cycle D2C update that will spawn a Mustang hybrid, although that car is said to be delayed slightly from the 2021 model year to early in calendar-year 2022

So, potentially a very heavily modified S550.2 for the '23MY, which will see the introduction of the hybrid model.

Then, '26MY....or even '28/'29MY for the all-new CD6-based S650.

:crazy:

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Cool more time to enjoy my 18
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.