Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
A hybrid electric Mustang? That cuts against the current trend in muscle cars. The trend is performance.
This topic on future design has centered on future power plants. Why did Ford kill the V6 Mustang?
The only answer I can think of is the trend is toward performance. Why did I buy a '17 V6 Mustang?
Ans: It was the future now. 87 Oct pump gas. 32 mpg on highway. Favorable insurance rate.
Better front rear balance. Quicker lighter steering feel. Paddle shifting AT 6 speed is mature-reliable.
Draw backs? Out of the hole it will not stay with any 5.0/SS/Helcat etc. Seeing as I have never burned out
because that ruins tires and avoid drag racing because high torque induces abnormal drive line wear
I just don't need 500 HP nor do I want it. From 40 to 120 the 3.7L V6 gives everything you could want
in a performance car. And sounds rather cool giving it to you. Hard driving, 80-90 mph highway runs
at 27 mpg. So what is the hybrid purpose? If you drive a hybrid hard you get 24 mpg. Performance
wise the V6-3.7L will suck the grill off hybrids. I plan a BAMA tune, BBK ceramic headers, cold air kit,
axle backs, and B&M shift kit. However, right now in stock trim, straight NHTSB factory setup, the car
does not beg for any mods, and is a pleasure to drive. Therefore, take one of the above flying saucer
looking future Mustang designs and insert a 3.7L V6 iVCT 4 valve, and the future looks great.
Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
A hybrid electric Mustang? That cuts against the current trend in muscle cars. The trend is performance.
This topic on future design has centered on future power plants. Why did Ford kill the V6 Mustang?
The only answer I can think of is the trend is toward performance. Why did I buy a '17 V6 Mustang?
Ans: It was the future now. 87 Oct pump gas. 32 mpg on highway. Favorable insurance rate.
Better front rear balance. Quicker lighter steering feel. Paddle shifting AT 6 speed is mature-reliable.
Draw backs? Out of the hole it will not stay with any 5.0/SS/Helcat etc. Seeing as I have never burned out
because that ruins tires and avoid drag racing because high torque induces abnormal drive line wear
I just don't need 500 HP nor do I want it. From 40 to 120 the 3.7L V6 gives everything you could want
in a performance car. And sounds rather cool giving it to you. Hard driving, 80-90 mph highway runs
at 27 mpg. So what is the hybrid purpose? If you drive a hybrid hard you get 24 mpg. Performance
wise the V6-3.7L will suck the grill off hybrids. I plan a BAMA tune, BBK ceramic headers, cold air kit,
axle backs, and B&M shift kit. However, right now in stock trim, straight NHTSB factory setup, the car
does not beg for any mods, and is a pleasure to drive. Therefore, take one of the above flying saucer
looking future Mustang designs and insert a 3.7L V6 iVCT 4 valve, and the future looks great.
Reason for hybrids in general is to meet fuel economy regs not only in US, but also Europe and China, both of which have far stricter regs than the US. So strong competitors will bring their hybridized performance vehicles to the US, since they’re already making them for the rest of the world. Set aside the ridiculous acceleration potential of BEV (videos of Tesla S P100D embarrassing Hellcats for example)... look at the Porsche Panamera S E-hybrid. 0 - 60 in 4.0 seconds. In a huge heavy hatchback sedan. Porsche will put a similar hybrid system in an already ridiculously fast 911.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Throw a hybrid drivetrain on the current V6, it'll go faster. That's better performance. It will get off the line ever better and then the NA benefits will still be there. Look at the top supercars, they're hybrids. Now if you shrink the engine and throw a hybrid in, it might be the same as what we have already unless they go way smaller like the Prius you're probably basing your opinions on. Hybrids for fuel economy !- hybrids for enthusiasts.

edco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007GT & 2017V6_ great Steeda & AM mods
Reason for hybrids in general is to meet fuel economy regs not only in US, but also Europe and China, both of which have far stricter regs than the US. So strong competitors will bring their hybridized performance vehicles to the US, since they’re already making them for the rest of the world. Set aside the ridiculous acceleration potential of BEV (videos of Tesla S P100D embarrassing Hellcats for example)... look at the Porsche Panamera S E-hybrid. 0 - 60 in 4.0 seconds. In a huge heavy hatchback sedan. Porsche will put a similar hybrid system in an already ridiculously fast 911.
Right you are about hybrids and hyper-performance. My "suck the grill off" comment was not meant for Porsche 918s, Panemeras, and Tesla. Those are + $120K autos. My '17 V6 delivered for $24K. My reference was towards Prius, Fusion, and the GM eBoxes.
I hold the general assumption Ford maintains the "average guy" price profile that makes Mustang what it is. The "common" hybrids are more expensive than Mustang. I assume then that a hybrid Mustang would use the common technology, not the 918 stuff. Keep Mustangs mustang. I would rather ride one of my bicycles than drive a Prius.

Last edited:

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Right you are about hybrids and hyper-performance. My "suck the grill off" comment was not meant for Porsche 918s, Panemeras, and Tesla. Those are + $120K autos. My '17 V6 delivered for $24K. My reference was towards Prius, Fusion, and the GM eBoxes.
I hold the general assumption Ford maintains the "average guy" price profile that makes Mustang what it is. The "common" hybrids are more expensive than Mustang. I would rather ride one of my bicycles than drive a Prius.
Right about Ford, but when Ford and GM add hybrid tech to Mustang and Camaro (and Corvette) it will be to enhance both fuel economy and performance. They will likely push performance closer to the Panamera E-hybrid end of the spectrum than to the Prius / Fusion Hybrid end of the spectrum. And it will be at more reasonable pricing than Porsche or Tesla.

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I hold the general assumption Ford maintains the "average guy" price profile that makes Mustang what it is. The "common" hybrids are more expensive than Mustang. I assume then that a hybrid Mustang would use the common technology, not the 918 stuff. Keep Mustangs mustang. I would rather ride one of my bicycles than drive a Prius.
This would apply if Ford HADN'T just invested $11 billion in hybrid development

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I love the fact that GM sent out a survey asking what owners think. Whether or not they do exactly what current owners would prefer, it's good to at least have an idea of owner preferences.

Personally, I really like the idea of the Mustang being quicker, but I would by far prefer a light and reduced complexity method for this over a heavy and expensive method. Whether I would buy a V8 with hybrid assist depends on how much it costs and how well it performs. Our Mustangs are already huge barges. I feel like I'm getting into an SUV when I sit in the Mustang compared to my junky old Porsche. 3,800 lbs is already far too heavy. That would probably be the one way I would buy a 4 cylinder Mustang - is if they made the car 2,800 lbs or so and reduced the size so much that a V8 no longer fits.
IMO, such a car would no longer be a Mustang. But Ford should build this car side by side with the Mustang and call it something else. The ecoboost 4 would live there. A different name shouldn't matter much to those who don't feel any connection to the Mustang heritage and complain their Mustang doesn't corner like their old S2000. The Mustang could live on with a hybrid V6 as base.

Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Ummmmm, pause this at 37 seconds!

(the face of the "electric Mustang SUV"......or something mocked up just for the advert?)

44281392_10156349963245100_5201010992351281152_n.jpg

OP
OP
Topnotch

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
2022stang.jpg

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not seeing why you would think that's the SUV, doesn't look near tall/big enough in the front to be that (at least in my eyes). Lights look like a mix of Audi/BMW right now though.

And it also reminds me a bit of the Camaro refresh with black along the bottom (to cool batteries perhaps?). I don't hate it, but also don't want everyone doing the same type of front crease as Tesla.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not seeing why you would think that's the SUV, doesn't look near tall/big enough in the front to be that (at least in my eyes). Lights look like a mix of Audi/BMW right now though.
Look at the roofline and how tall it is. Don't think "SUV" like an explorer, think "Crossover", like the BMW GT (a "6 series inspired crossover")
BMW.jpg

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
They're making a 4 door mustang to compete with the Audi A7 and Panamera.
It will also be a turbo V8.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.