Sponsored

7th Generation Mustang (S650) Moved to 2022...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
It looks like a Camaro. That’s the first thing that hit me. The Corvette will be mid-engine by then.
Sponsored

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
has Mustang elements, but definitely not a winner in my book. But then again I am pretty old school.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
One question. The mouldings don’t seem to have obvious tailpipe considerations. Maybe this shift in design priorities hints at the Mustang’s future...

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
holy god awful ewww

Sponsored

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Guys, you are giving these shots way too much credit. It's pretty common that students or interns at automakers are doing very good concepts and models.
Take a look at this 6th Gen Camaro concept from an intern in 2013.

Ford knows that the current Mustang is a success because of the more classy design. Giving it such a sporty und Ford GT kind of design would be way too unpractical.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Amazing how some prioritise practicality and the size of the rear quarter windows for a performance car. I suppose they should just build an SUV?!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Guys, you are giving these shots way too much credit. It's pretty common that students or interns at automakers are doing very good concepts and models.
Take a look at this 6th Gen Camaro concept from an intern in 2013.

Ford knows that the current Mustang is a success because of the more classy design. Giving it such a sporty und Ford GT kind of design would be way too unpractical.
Absolutely! I highly suspect the images I found are nothing more than a design student's (very good, in my opinion) coursework and has NOTHING to do with Ford.

As for that Camaro design study.........is it wrong that I really like it? :shock:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Amazing how some prioritise practicality and the size of the rear quarter windows for a performance car. I suppose they should just build an SUV?!
No, of course not.

But, ask yourself why the Mustang outsells the Camaro? In terms of pure performance numbers and driver involvement, the Camaro trumps the Mustang (at least according to most reviews.....I've not driven one myself). However, as a car to potentially use every day, visibility and cabin and trunk space will matter to some. If fact, it'll matter to those people who would happily cross shop between marques. Or those fleet managers at rental companies who know tourists want to fit a couple of cases in the trunk. Those people make up a much larger % of sales than pure enthusiasts and those are the people keeping Mustang's sales healthy.

Like it or not, a car like the Mustang still needs to be profitable, or we could lose it forever. If that means it's "compromised" from an enthusiasts viewpoint, then so be it.

Ford has a winning formula (and has done since '64) so I don't see them changing it too much as we look forward to S650.

:)

(now all we need to do is wait for the first spyshots of S650 :camera: )

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Also have in mind how sporty the 2018 sketch looked like. Designers love to do big wheels and tiny windows before the engineers have to actually fit humans inside the thing:

Ford-Mustang_GT-2018-1280-38.jpg

But, ask yourself why the Mustang outsells the Camaro? In terms of pure performance numbers and driver involvement, the Camaro trumps the Mustang (at least according to most reviews.....I've not driven one myself). However, as a car to potentially use every day, visibility and cabin and trunk space will matter to some. If fact, it'll matter to those people who would happily cross shop between marques. Or those fleet managers at rental companies who know tourists want to fit a couple of cases in the trunk. Those people make up a much larger % of sales than pure enthusiasts and those are the people keeping Mustang's sales healthy.
Exactly. Don't get me wrong, I love my Camaro and bought it knowingly that I just want a sportscar and have a 2nd car for practical stuff. But Mustangs engineers hands down did the right thing with giving the car a big trunk opening, actually useful rearseats and a lot of space for putting your stuff in the cabin. If you lose that, you will also lose a lot of customers.

I still laugh about whoever designed the current MX5 and thought it was a great idea to remove the entire glovebox (older models always had that).

Sponsored

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, of course not.

Like it or not, a car like the Mustang still needs to be profitable, or we could lose it forever. If that means it's "compromised" from an enthusiasts viewpoint, then so be it.

Ford has a winning formula (and has done since '64) so I don't see them changing it too much as we look forward to S650.
Yeah I get that.
But for me performance/design is much more of a priority than practicality, as I use it as a weekend car. Problem is that they don't sell the Camaro in RHD and Mustang is the only muscle/pony car on sale in RHD! Although, don't get me wrong I prefer the '15 Mustang design to the Camaro, just going forward, emulating the Ford GT in any forthcoming Mustang is no bad thing imo.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Holden is selling RHD Camaros in Australia, maybe there's a chance they will bring these to other countries in the future too. But atm it's not even clear if we will see another Camaro in Europe since the facelift is not announced here

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think they said they were potentially exporting to Oz but not the UK

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanna bump this for the newcomers:

These are the design project done by my fellow classmates for last semester class at Art Center College of Design. It’s not official. Please taken them off, or as least give credit to the designers who made them.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.