Sponsored

760hp may have been a lie.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The S550 platform is international. It stands to reason that it the GT500 is likewise intended as such. Maybe not till 2021 perhaps but I doubt Ford wants to cede the high-performance market in Europe to Chevy.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Yes, I do think it's false. I have stated reasoning and assumptions for all of my posts. You have pulled 186mph drag limited out of your arce with no explanation or assumptions as to why.
What do you believe the GT500 would top out at ungoverned?

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
What do you believe the GT500 would top out at ungoverned?
191mph as that is what 5th gear tops out and there isn't enough power to push through the 7th and 8th gear overdrives.

Had they geared it differently, I do believe 200 mph would be easily achievable.

I find it difficult to believe the CD is so bad on the GT500 that it would prevent it from reaching 200 mph with proper gearing. The ZL1 is capable of 200 mph. The Hellcat is capable of 200 mph. The previous Gen. GT500 was capable of 200 mph.

All of this points to Ford caring more about performance on the track than top speed. Their 180mph limiter is likely an attempt at them acting like they really don't care about that particular performance metric, else they would have let it be limited at 191 via. gearing.

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
The S550 platform is international. It stands to reason that it the GT500 is likewise intended as such. Maybe not till 2021 perhaps but I doubt Ford wants to cede the high-performance market in Europe to Chevy.
The reason they are not going to be sold in Europe is because of the stricter emissions standards. I doubt that Ford will spend the money required for number of potential sales.

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
191mph as that is what 5th gear tops out and there isn't enough power to push through the 7th and 8th gear overdrives.

Had they geared it differently, I do believe 200 mph would be easily achievable.

I find it difficult to believe the CD is so bad on the GT500 that it would prevent it from reaching 200 mph with proper gearing. The ZL1 is capable of 200 mph. The Hellcat is capable of 200 mph. The previous Gen. GT500 was capable of 200 mph.

All of this points to Ford caring more about performance on the track than top speed. Their 180mph limiter is likely an attempt at them acting like they really don't care about that particular performance metric, else they would have let it be limited at 191 via. gearing.
OK, 191 vmax. Can you list me other cars that have tested to hit their theoretical vmax?

by your logic the Hellcat should do 230mph

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
OK, 191 vmax. Can you list me other cars that have tested to hit their theoretical vmax?
Your questioning has no bearing on this discussion. As such, it would be a colossal waste of time to dig up the data.

What you’re failing to understand is that Ford obviously chose this gear ratio with this transmission to perform at the track. They don’t have the luxury of an A10, so they simply chose (wisely) not to pursue a higher top speed. If they used an A10, they could use a lower rear end gear which would had allowed a higher top speed with the same .84 trans gear.

Take away 5th gear and you end up with a 4th gear that would result in a lower top speed yet. This doesn’t mean it’s aero restricted. It just means the gear ratio doesn’t allow it to perform better. Understand?

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
Your questioning has no bearing on this discussion. As such, it would be a colossal waste of time to dig up the data.

What you’re failing to understand is that Ford obviously chose this gear ratio with this transmission to perform at the track. They don’t have the luxury of an A10, so they simply chose (wisely) not to pursue a higher top speed. If they used an A10, they could use a lower rear end gear which would had allowed a higher top speed with the same .84 trans gear.

Take away 5th gear and you end up with a 4th gear that would result in a lower top speed yet. This doesn’t mean it’s aero restricted. It just means the gear ratio doesn’t allow it to perform better. Understand?
I get all that, but you're implying there is little if any aero drag at 180+mph and that the GT500 should hit its vmax of 191 when you cant provide data to show any other vehicle that can reach its vmax.

Whatever, Ford limited the car to 180 or 186 when the car would max out at 190...

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
I get all that, but you're implying there is little if any aero drag at 180+mph and that the GT500 should hit its vmax of 191 when you cant provide data to show any other vehicle that can reach its vmax.

Whatever, Ford limited the car to 180 or 186 when the car would max out at 190...
You don't get all that. The theoretical maximum velocity comparison doesn't matter between vehicles. The data you are requesting doesn't make any sense. Change the rear end gears in the ZL1 and it too could have a max potential of 191mph in it's respective 8th overdrive gear. That doesn't mean it couldn't go faster with gearing.

What you have failed to provide is any reasonable explanation for your argument why this car is drag limited at 186 mph like you claim. Do you honestly think this GT500 a much worse drag coef than the previous gen GT500, enough so that even with an extra 100hp it's still less capable? Do you think it's appreciable worse than a hellcat or ZL1...and if so, why?

You have given no explanation for your argument...only some random thought that somehow a cars ability to reach a theoretical maximum is comparable.

And for the record, we're not talking about vmax here. There is no vector in this equation. We don't care about direction, only speed.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
LOL.

Sorry man. mill house is right.

The new 500 is more aerodynamic and has a lot more power than the old model which has been observed at 200+ mph.

It is geared to to burst out of corners. Not stretch it’s legs for miles on end until it runs out of breath.

If it were geared for it, 200+ mph is not an issue.

But this car is focused on other metrics.
Sponsored