waelaburezeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT
Folks,

I would need your advice on a situation that I am currently facing, and couldn't get a scientifc answer to my case to all visits I paid to local mechanics. I drive a 2015 Mustang GT, that was like a charm ! The car has only 120,000 KM with 6r80 automatic transmission. I went to a track day for the first time, and after that the transmission started to behave wiered when changing from 3rd to 4th gear <lagging, jerking and even car goes into limp mode> after the track. there are ZERO erros, scanned by Forscan and LUANCH on the whole car. I then re-installed the stock air filter and loaded the stock tune (from JLT air filter and SCT pre-loaded tune), reset the KAM "Keep Alive Memory" expecting the car to go back to normal.

I drove it for 40 KM so far, but the problem seems to be still existing though it happens "intermittently". And yes, I smelled something in the track day but not sure where was it coming from. Again, ZERO error codes so far.

Could it be solenoid issue? is it the clutch? the tcm?
Sponsored

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; No real clue about possible physical damage due to abuse. If some component has been stressed beyond capacity the issue will linger and likely become worse.

You may have already done my only suggestion with altering the tune. What i tend to do with suspected programing problems is to disconnect the battery for about an hour. That sometimes gets the systems to reboot. Of course, I run factory stock tunes so this may not apply to what you have.

I decided to follow the thread to learn about what you discover.

Good luck

OP
OP
waelaburezeq

waelaburezeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT
Hello; No real clue about possible physical damage due to abuse. If some component has been stressed beyond capacity the issue will linger and likely become worse.

You may have already done my only suggestion with altering the tune. What i tend to do with suspected programing problems is to disconnect the battery for about an hour. That sometimes gets the systems to reboot. Of course, I run factory stock tunes so this may not apply to what you have.

I decided to follow the thread to learn about what you discover.

Good luck
Thank you mate for your feedback. I also did a KAM "Keep Alive Memory" reset, to make sure parameters will be re-learned. I read it somewhere so decided to proceed with it. I am thinking to reset transmision adaptation through Forscan, but not sure if this will help

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
What happens to automatic transmissions on the track is that they get hotter the. Usual. This affects the valve bodies which what they do is open and close for you to be able to change gears up and down.

If you fried the 3-4 valve by ridding that gear too much around the track understand that no amount of relearning is going to help. It will get worse affecting the rest of the transmissions valves because it will put more and more on the rest of the valve body trying to compensate for the damaged valve and ultimately the failure of the transmission. Me you I’d take it to a shop and have it looked at before anything else goes wrong and you keep the damage to a minimum.

Edit: what you’re feeling is the computer also trying to compensate for what’s happening because all these new transmissions are ran by your vehicles computer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
waelaburezeq

waelaburezeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT
I went to a garage , have it scanned again and no errors were thrown.
he adviced to do open the whole gearbox and check the clutches where probably i will need to chabge them, this is a transmission rebuild!

is that what you are referring to ?

Sponsored

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I went to a garage , have it scanned again and no errors were thrown.
he adviced to do open the whole gearbox and check the clutches where probably i will need to chabge them, this is a transmission rebuild!

is that what you are referring to ?
Yea sir have them add an upgraded valve body and clutches if you have the means and for sure add a trans cooler if you’re going to be tracking it.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
Folks,

I would need your advice on a situation that I am currently facing, and couldn't get a scientifc answer to my case to all visits I paid to local mechanics. I drive a 2015 Mustang GT, that was like a charm ! The car has only 120,000 KM with 6r80 automatic transmission. I went to a track day for the first time, and after that the transmission started to behave wiered when changing from 3rd to 4th gear <lagging, jerking and even car goes into limp mode> after the track. there are ZERO erros, scanned by Forscan and LUANCH on the whole car. I then re-installed the stock air filter and loaded the stock tune (from JLT air filter and SCT pre-loaded tune), reset the KAM "Keep Alive Memory" expecting the car to go back to normal.

I drove it for 40 KM so far, but the problem seems to be still existing though it happens "intermittently". And yes, I smelled something in the track day but not sure where was it coming from. Again, ZERO error codes so far.

Could it be solenoid issue? is it the clutch? the tcm?
Start simple. Have you changed the fluid and filter?

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
Start simple. Have you changed the fluid and filter?
Agreed but if he wasn’t doing changes after track days it’s way past that point imho. When I’d track my A4 C5 not only did I change the trans fluid before track day but immediately after the track day and I would watch the trans fluid temp as for it not to get too hot and start airating because it got too hot and slushing around because of track usage. I learned the hard way.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Agreed but if he wasn’t doing changes after track days it’s way past that point imho. When I’d track my A4 C5 not only did I change the trans fluid before track day but immediately after the track day and I would watch the trans fluid temp as for it not to get too hot and start airating because it got too hot and slushing around because of track usage. I learned the hard way.
It's still worth changing out the fluid before condemning the transmission and pulling it out of the car. For all we know it may just have a leak and is low on fluid.

OP
OP
waelaburezeq

waelaburezeq

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT
Low in fluid should impact the shifts randomly, not only 3rd to 4rth. Additionally, my car has only 124KM (around 100,000 miles).

The 6r80 transmission, according to Ford was designed "for life" and unfortunately it has no dipstick to measure the fluid level.

I am sad because this happened in my first track day ever with such low mileage!!

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Low in fluid should impact the shifts randomly, not only 3rd to 4rth. Additionally, my car has only 124KM (around 100,000 miles).

The 6r80 transmission, according to Ford was designed "for life" and unfortunately it has no dipstick to measure the fluid level.

I am sad because this happened in my first track day ever with such low mileage!!
Hello; Afraid I do not buy into this random impact much. The gear clusters and systems which activate them are discrete. If some bit involved in the 3-4 gears is damaged/worn that will be where things fail. I have seen cars with no reverse but will drive forward.

Also 100,000 miles is not necessarily low miles. I know folks who have screwed up transmissions with a lot less miles.

I am not happy with lifetime transmission oil/fluid. I change out some trans fluid on an automatic on a regular basis. Can't get it all out at any one time as some is in the converter.

Good luck with your problem. I do not blame you for trying as many less expensive things first. Hope something works but may be a parts failure. As someone else stated get a trans cooler once it is fixed or do not do track stuff.
Sponsored