Sponsored

6 point Harness in a GT350 w/o a roll bar?

scannon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Skip
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2016 Miata (BBR turbo), '18 Subaru WRX

control4userguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium
^I have very limited exposure to this but what I gather is if your track/group won't allow a 4-point (mine will but doesn't recommend it), you should jump to a 6-point IMO. However, that would require you to cobble-in anchor points for the two anti-sub straps.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It is not advised to have 4 or 6 point straps without roll protection. Why? If you do roll over, and you are cinched down to the seat, you run the risk of crushing your head/neck if the car lands hard enough on the roof because your body cannot divert to the side or forward. The airbag is there for a reason and is arguably, if not factually, more safe with a standard seat belt absent a proper roll cage (or at least something that will prevent the roof from collapsing on your head in a rollover).

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Do a search on CG Lock. It’s cheap—under $60–and it locks your 3-point belt in place to keep you in your seat. It won’t give you the same “strapped in place” feeling of a good 4- or 6-point belt system, but since 4-point belts are not an option for you and you don’t want to modify your car permanently, it might be worth a try.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
Wildcatgoal, is quite correct, it is definitely not recommended or safe to use a 4-6 point harness without rollover protection. That's one of the reasons all the original Shelby GT350 and GT500 cars came with a rollbar stock.

I'd give strong consideration to installing a nice, discreet, padded bar.

I've used CG-Locks and they work well, if you can't do anything further, but are perhaps 30% of the way towards a 4-6 point compared to an OE 3-point.

I rolled my SVT Contour at the track years ago, due to a suspension failure with a harness and no rollbar, and it wasn't pretty, nor was it good for my health. Got a bad concussion (roof was crushed from a double barrel-roll). I was lucky it wasn't a broken neck, so think long and hard about it. A 4-point bolt-in bar just requires replacing the carpeting if you want to take it back to stock looking afterwards.

Sponsored

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
I also looked into doing a harness w/o a roll bar, and it's not adviseable for many of the reasons, some of which are mentioned by others here. One of the things I also read about that is not mentioned yet is submarining, where you slip out under the harnesses, but this is if you decide not to drill the floor and install the bottom of the harness (IE, 4-point harness).

I am by no means an expert, but all that I read convinced me to pass on the harness until I get a roll cage (which doesn't seem to be in the cards for me since I don't want to drill my R).

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
If you don't need to satisfy a sanctioning bodies regulations and just want the added stability of a harness, a 6-point can be installed without drilling into the floor for your leg-belts by attaching them to the front seat mounting bolts (you may need longer mounting bolts).

Fully understand folks not wanting to install a roll-cage in their street car, I've done it in the past and they definitely get in the way when not needed. However, for what most are wanting, a simple bolt-in 4-point roll-bar will do everything needed and only inconvenience back seat access. Just a possible option for some.

Last edited:

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
I also looked into doing a harness w/o a roll bar, and it's not adviseable for many of the reasons, some of which are mentioned by others here. One of the things I also read about that is not mentioned yet is submarining, where you slip out under the harnesses, but this is if you decide not to drill the floor and install the bottom of the harness (IE, 4-point harness).

I am by no means an expert, but all that I read convinced me to pass on the harness until I get a roll cage (which doesn't seem to be in the cards for me since I don't want to drill my R).
The Scroth 4 point harness I (and others here use) addresses this problem.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
1. don't use a harness without a rollbar. just don't. if you can't get your hear wrapped around having even a simple rollbar in your car, don't take your car to the track. Simple as that. These cars are so fast...doesn't matter your experience level...it's just a recipe for disaster.
2. WITH a rollbar, Scroth's ASM 4-pt is a solid solution...no drilling for anti-sub straps but the ASM has excellent anti-sub capabilities.
3. Prioritize safety when you go to the track. or don't go. anyone who's been in, or even seen, an accident at the track knows that shit can get nasty really quickly (myself included).

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
1. don't use a harness without a rollbar. just don't. if you can't get your hear wrapped around having even a simple rollbar in your car, don't take your car to the track. Simple as that. These cars are so fast...doesn't matter your experience level...it's just a recipe for disaster.
2. WITH a rollbar, Scroth's ASM 4-pt is a solid solution...no drilling for anti-sub straps but the ASM has excellent anti-sub capabilities.
3. Prioritize safety when you go to the track. or don't go. anyone who's been in, or even seen, an accident at the track knows that shit can get nasty really quickly (myself included).
+1

Sponsored

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Do a search on CG Lock. It’s cheap—under $60–and it locks your 3-point belt in place to keep you in your seat. It won’t give you the same “strapped in place” feeling of a good 4- or 6-point belt system, but since 4-point belts are not an option for you and you don’t want to modify your car permanently, it might be worth a try.
I purchased 2 CG Locks, they won't work with our buckle style. They only work with a single pass through belt, not the double pass through like our cars. : /

With that said, if anyone wants them, they are yours. Just pay for shipping. PM me if interested.
B004NY1DHS.01.sm.jpg

straightliner1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R #HR262 / 2018 GMC Yukon XL Denali
Also of note,

<flamesuit> I am using a Maier Racing harness bar (no cutting compared to the Braum bar) and am using it with Simpson 3" pull up 4 point harnesses. For those shopping currently, I do not recommend the Simpson line as the lap belt adjusters are ridiculously difficult to adjust and their location rubs the center console badly! </flamesuit>

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
You're sure your track is ok with a 6-pt harness and no roll-bar? I personally wouldn't feel too comfortable going that route.

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Also of note,

<flamesuit> I am using a Maier Racing harness bar (no cutting compared to the Braum bar) and am using it with Simpson 3" pull up 4 point harnesses. For those shopping currently, I do not recommend the Simpson line as the lap belt adjusters are ridiculously difficult to adjust and their location rubs the center console badly! </flamesuit>
you should really consider upping your safety game if you're tracking that beast.

for people shying away from a rollbar because they don't want to drill, consider what I did. (one issue with bolt-ins is that the location of the feet has to take into consideration access from underneath the car and, hence, may not be optimally-placed). I had bar custom-fabbed by a local legend...total cost was ~$2,200...so slightly more expensive than non-custom. I had landing pads welded in place at spots not compromised by the limitation of access from below, and the bar bolts to the landing pads. If I ever sell it and someone doesn't want the bar in it...it comes out (and I can re-use it or sell it to someone else).
IMG_5676 (1).jpg
IMG_5677 (2).jpg

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
My Watson roll cage is on the way and I'm going with the Schroth PROFI II ASM FE 4-Point harnesses. I did a ton of research on this and it seems to be the best way to go w/o drilling the floor and/or replacing the seats.

I know to some the cage may seem like a lot, but to me it's worth it in this car and fits it well.
213-20270.jpg
Sponsored