Sponsored

6 pack of beer to whomever guesses correctly. 10r80 issue.

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Let's preface. Car is going to the dealer Monday. I'm not asking for help diagnosing. But if you guys wanna guess, I'll PayPal the winner money for a 6 pack. I'll provide the dealer service order when done as proof

2018 GT pp1. All stock. 26,000 miles.

Symptoms. Car has always lagged into drive and reverse.
Lately car has acted as if in neutral when in first gear and cold. But it's hard to replicate. Basically if you started rolling forward and lifted off the throttle and then pushed the throttle again it'd rev up and then jump.
Wednesday driving home from lunch I crossed a set of railroad tracks and slowed way down. Once jumpedacross I on the car pretty hard and when I did it downshifted and felt as if the car had been rear ended.
This was a block from home so I just dropped it off and ignored it. I hopped in my beater and went to work.
Today I decided to drive it to work.
Started it up and when I put it in gear it would rev up and barely move. Much like a slipping clutch. It then lurched and acted normal. I got on the road and it harshly shifted into second. Once in second it wouldn't shift until 6500 and when it did it felt like the car was rear ended. Once into third it wouldn't move and the wrench lit up.
I turned it around and limped it home. Once in reverse it'll move but when you let off the gas it feels like you've hit the brakes.

I didn't pull codes, but can. I have forscan.

Ideas? Guesses?
Sponsored

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Have you checked the trans fluid yet??

DetroitMustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10
Let's preface. Car is going to the dealer Monday. I'm not asking for help diagnosing. But if you guys wanna guess, I'll PayPal the winner money for a 6 pack. I'll provide the dealer service order when done as proof

Lately car has acted as if in neutral when in first gear and cold. But it's hard to replicate. Basically if you started rolling forward and lifted off the throttle and then pushed the throttle again it'd rev up and then jump.
Wednesday driving home from lunch I crossed a set of railroad tracks and slowed way down. Once jumpedacross I on the car pretty hard and when I did it downshifted and felt as if the car had been rear ended.
This was a block from home so I just dropped it off and ignored it. I hopped in my beater and went to work.
Started it up and when I put it in gear it would rev up and barely move. Much like a slipping clutch. It then lurched and acted normal. I got on the road and it harshly shifted into second. Once in second it wouldn't shift until 6500 and when it did it felt like the car was rear ended. Once into third it wouldn't move and the wrench lit up.
I turned it around and limped it home. Once in reverse it'll move but when you let off the gas it feels like you've hit the brakes.

Ideas? Guesses?
if the wrench came on, there should be codes.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Have you checked the trans fluid yet??
No because I am not putting this up in the air to crawl under it. That's why I have a warranty. So, fluid level may be an issue.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

RacinJason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang base GT w/PP
Torque Converter. That's my guess. I like Bud Light, sir. Pretty much same color as my car. Winner winner, chicken dinner? :turkey:

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Sounds to me like it was low on fluid /or/ couldn't pickup the fluid properly which caused the symptoms, and this obviously escalated into real trans damage by driving it with those symptoms.
It's been to Ford before. They couldn't replicate any issues.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

Ideas? Guesses?
Initial Guess:
Valve Body

The above symptoms are typical valve body symptoms. The valve body is no longer regulating line pressure correctly when cold or hot; line pressure is increasing to the point that it’s too high which is the resulting ‘slam’ as if being rear ended...

Secondary guess:
SSM 47361 - see the thread the other user linked for you and hit the hyperlink there for the SSM/TSB’s for the 10R80.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
It's been to Ford before. They couldn't replicate any issues.
When you take it there this time, ask that the Shop Foreman or the Lead Tech go for a drive with you. You drive and get the car to replicate the issue. Then let the Tech drive it back to the Dealer so he can also feel the symptoms. Unfortunately that is the only way to getting them to acknowledge it’s NOT normal and the pre is an existing problems that CAN be replicated.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
When you take it there this time, ask that the Shop Foreman or the Lead Tech go for a drive with you. You drive and get the car to replicate the issue. Then let the Tech drive it back to the Dealer so he can also feel the symptoms. Unfortunately that is the only way to getting them to acknowledge it’s NOT normal and the pre is an existing problems that CAN be replicated.
I've owned many new cars. The initial issue of it acting up was only on the first or second time I moved the car. Total pain with my work schedule to get down to does mid day just to baby sit a tech. This was the same dealer that blamed my suspension noise on wiring.

As for the valve body, that doesn't explain the trans hanging up and stopping the car in reverse. I feel there are likely numerous issues.

Zathras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
There's that bulletin about the broken one-way clutch, but it sounds like yours is acting up in even more ways...

The A10 is a great transmission for performance, but I have a lot more issues and strange behavior from it than on my '11 Mustang with the 6-speed auto.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
There's that bulletin about the broken one-way clutch, but it sounds like yours is acting up in even more ways...

The A10 is a great transmission for performance, but I have a lot more issues and strange behavior from it than on my '11 Mustang with the 6-speed auto.

Pulled codes. It matches the one way clutch exactly.

P0757 and p2701

I figured it was hard parts. Curious if anything else failed.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Oddly enough it also has codes stored for p3000 and p3016

Screenshot_20200308-214259_Chrome.jpg