6.8 liter in 2022/3 mustang?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It actually makes sense. With the release of the 7.3 they've established the future for their engine platforms. The 6.8 is supposedly a destroked 7.3, built in the same plant. A conventional pushrod engine is much much cheaper and simple to manufacture. The mod motors were fun, but they've really reached a plateau. The current tooling does not allow for any different bore spacing on the coyote platform, so they're stuck pushing tuning limits. The 7.3 already has a huge aftermarket brewing and them already making over 780hp NA on conservative compression shows the potential. Considering most all parts would be interchangeable with a 6.8, they were smart to release the 7.3, let the aftermarket grow and be applied to the next generation of Mustangs immediately.

With profit margins being low, Ford want's to cut cost as much as possible and this is definitely an easy way to do it.

#BRINGBACKCAMLOPETOMUSTANGS LMAO

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Who would want this heavy ass engine in the front of an already porky, traction limited, Mustang? I get some of you guys are slobbering over a big engine, but no.

The Mustang needs a diet, seriously. If the 1/4 mile times of the GT500 aren't a good enough lesson for weight reduction, I don't know what is.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think we will be looking at the S650 by then. I would hope Ford would have learned their lesson and design a significantly lighter chassis. This engine would make sense in a redesigned platform.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Who would want this heavy ass engine in the front of an already porky, traction limited, Mustang? I get some of you guys are slobbering over a big engine, but no.

The Mustang needs a diet, seriously. If the 1/4 mile times of the GT500 aren't a good enough lesson for weight reduction, I don't know what is.
We don’t know the weight yet. It may end up lighter than the coyote. From what I’ve read it will get an aluminum block vs the iron block of the 7.3 which makes sense. With all that less valvetrain it should be lighter.

Sponsored

Rinzler

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I think we will be looking at the S650 by then. I would hope Ford would have learned their lesson and design a significantly lighter chassis. This engine would make sense in a redesigned platform.
I'd much rather have a 3400 lb Mustang with a 5.0 than a 4100 lb mustang with a 6.8. The physics of it all is very clear. It's the reason a Porsche 911 does so well in.....well everything really.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I'd much rather have a 3400 lb Mustang with a 5.0 than a 4100 lb mustang with a 6.8. The physics of it all is very clear. It's the reason a Porsche 911 does so well in.....well everything really.
So you want a rear engine Mustang then. Gotcha

why on earth are you comparing a “muscle car” to a Porsche 911? They’re not even remotely in the same class

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I think you are a few hundred pounds over in your estimation, lol.... but you have a point. Weight, its distribution, and ratio to power is everything.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
How much does a 7.3 weigh vs a 5.0? If the 6.8 is a de-stroked 7.3 that would mean a 6.8 will be a tad heavier than a 7.3.
Should be a fairly accurate comparison between the 7.3 and a 5.0 weight wise.
Edit: Google says 445 lbs for a 5.0 and 538 lbs for a 7.3. So a bit more than 538 lbs for a 6.8.
Just over 100 lbs more for a 6.8 maybe.

Last edited:

Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
How much does a 7.3 weigh vs a 5.0? If the 6.8 is a de-stroked 7.3 that would mean a 6.8 will be a tad heavier than a 7.3.
Should be a fairly accurate comparison between the 7.3 and a 5.0 weight wise.
The 6.8 has been said to have a alloy aluminum block. And how would a destroked motor be heavier?

my money is the 6.8 will be lighter than a 5.0. The only reason the 7.3 is so heavy is it’s a very deep skirted iron block.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
De-stroked means more block material compared to a bored out block? Same block but bored out would mean one would have to weigh less than another but maybe by the time you add back for bigger pistons etc maybe no difference? I’m no engine builder so I may be completely off but it makes sense in my mind.
The aluminum block is a big difference vs the iron block obviously. I forgot about that.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
De-stroked means more block material compared to a bored out block? Same block but bored out would mean one would have to weigh less than another but maybe by the time you add back for bigger pistons etc maybe no difference? I’m no engine builder so I may be completely off but it makes sense in my mind.
The aluminum block is a big difference vs the iron block obviously. I forgot about that.
I’m going to stop you there. De-stroked means a smaller crankshaft throw. (Less stroke on the crank). If anything a smaller stroke would have less counterweight material on the crank and less weight if anything.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m going to stop you there. De-stroked means a smaller crankshaft throw. (Less stroke on the crank). If anything a smaller stroke would have less counterweight material on the crank and less weight if anything.
Gotcha. My wording is off. I meant the size of the bore. A 7.3 liter would be bored out more than a 6.8 liter on the same block thus less block material on the 7.3 vs a 6.8. See, I told you I am no engine builder. In the end maybe the amount of material removed is a negligible amount vs total weight of the engine anyway.
But it's all well beyond my knowledge base so I will stop while I am behind.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
A quick search shows a 5 liter is about 450# and a 7.3 powerstroke diesel is about 920#. That's a big number. Keep in mind that the powerstroke diesel had to be built around the needed 17.5:1 compression ratio that a diesel needs. If the engine was redesigned for gasoline, I think there could be a large weight savings. Again, imagine FI on top of a monster like that? Shwew!
Sponsored