5W20 or 5W30 2019 Bullitt

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
I just switched to 5w30 after hearing the 21's were doing it and I've def noticed less burn off and less in my oil catch. I'll be using 5w30 going forward.
Good to know. I went through an entire quart between 5K OCIs. Catch can probably picked up about 1/2 of the container size (JLT 3.0) overall during that time. I've heard consumption with the Coyote's is normal, but also can be a bad sign if it's "too much." I just don't really know how much is normal and when it's too much. If switching from 0W-20 to 5W-30 can help, I'd feel better about things.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Calipony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
As others said, either. My manual and cap say 5W20 for normal fill, and also recommends 5W30 for track. I just use 5W30. First change was at 2K miles. Next change will likely be with Amsoil. I also use the larger Ford Performance FIlter.
Larger oil filter? Can you expand on this? Also, what’s the part number?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Larger oil filter? Can you expand on this? Also, what’s the part number?
My cap says 20w, book says 30, actually chnge to 30 before spotting it in the manual. Common sense the driver.

Pop a Wick filter on it, larger by design, not done a side by side Ford/Wick.

Because I use the brand regularly, it was noticed when I change it.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0

Sponsored

Red65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 1965 Coupe, 2017 Premium MT GT
Anybody notice slightly higher oil pressure at idle with the 5w30?
That would be normal. The base oil weight of the 5w-30 is higher comparatively, so you will get higher oil pressure with it. Even though both oils are a "5 weight" when cold, that doesn't mean they are the same viscosity as a straight 5wt single weight oil. The base oil for a 5w-30 has a slightly higher oil weight than the base oil in a 5w-20. This is true for all multi-weight oils. For example, the kinematic viscosity (in cSt) of Motorcraft 5w-20 is 44 cSt @ 40 C and 8.7 cSt @ 100 C. The viscosity of Motorcraft 5w-30 is 60 cSt @ 40 C and 10.5 cSt @ 100 C. Same nominal cold weight but the actual measured viscosity is different.

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
You don't need to spend $17 on a filter. The FL820S is just as big and costs under $4.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AS3D3S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Obviously don't need to. The standard 820 has the larger canister and more filter material but I prefer the higher quality filter media and overall construction of the racing filter.. if I drove my car 30,000 miles a year and did 6 oil changes a year, I'd likely go for the standard 820. As it is now I do an annual filter change at about 8k miles. Good quality synthetic oil and good quality filter or a good pairing. But hey to each his own.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I just switched to Castrol Edge extended performance 5W30. Car idles just a touch smoother, and I know I'm not imagining it because I've been using 5W20 since I bought it.

I don't think it actually matters in the long run, but since the manual says you should use 5W30 for "track use", and because the 2021 cars are spec'd for 5W30, I'd say that's the number to go for at this point.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
I just switched to Castrol Edge extended performance 5W30. Car idles just a touch smoother, and I know I'm not imagining it because I've been using 5W20 since I bought it.

I don't think it actually matters in the long run, but since the manual says you should use 5W30 for "track use", and because the 2021 cars are spec'd for 5W30, I'd say that's the number to go for at this point.
30w in itself has a > long history < for reliability. Including all 4 stroke air cooled motors.

Castrol has always been my choice. If you ever have the chance to look at a worn motor in for rebuild. That used Castrol consistently. It will become real clear why that oil is so good.

Bottom end, valley and heads will be spotless .

3rdRGR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush RS2, 2011 Nissan Murano SV
30w in itself has a > long history < for reliability. Including all 4 stroke air cooled motors.

Castrol has always been my choice. If you ever have the chance to look at a worn motor in for rebuild. That used Castrol consistently. It will become real clear why that oil is so good.

Bottom end, valley and heads will be spotless .
Good to hear this. I sort of felt like I was an outlier. I started with Oil Change #3 (bought used). It only had 5,700 miles on it. I bought from a dealership and it had a cheap oil filter on it. I assume the time between the original fill and that second oil change wasn't too long as the oil was in good shape. I just wanted to do a change so I knew what was in it and if the filter was low rent, I did not want to run it and whatever was in it.

I chose OEM Motorcraft filter and Castrol Edge EP 0W20. Noticed the tick, so put in a bottle of Ceratec. Tick went away within seconds. Everything seemed fine, but after more research and given my driving habits which are a lot of high RPM runs I decided to bump to 5W-30. I did add a bottle of Ceratec as well and that's how I'm rolling. Still sticking with the Castrol EDGE EP. My impressions are that oil pressure runs a bit higher and I'm losing just a bit less oil to consumption. It does seem a little smoother/less noisy as well. I feel a little better and feel like l'm adding a little more protection at the limits, while not getting so thick to get into any kind of starvation issues at start-up. I live in Southern Indiana so even in the winter it doesn't get crazy cold.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
I just did the 7K oil change. Used the Motorcraft semi-synthetic 5W30 and a new Ford racing 820 filter.

I did the initial oil change at 2,000 miles. The same oil and filter.

I burned a half quart in the first 2,000 mi and not a drop since. I also emptied my oil catch can and had maybe half an ounce of oil in the catch can.

I also have the metal magnetic drain plug thing and the only metal on it was a light coating of very fine paste.

I'll do another oil change at 10K and will switch over to synthetic. Right now I'm planning on the Pennzoil full synthetic 5w 30.

A couple interesting data points is that with 5k Miles on the oil the oil life meter said I was at 25% of oil life before the change.

Now for the question you've all been asking yourself... What about the typewriter tick and the 2K rattle?

The 2K rattle is the VVT on the camshafts so that's normal is a little bit louder when cold and quieter when fully at operating temperature. That's just the nature of the beast. Light throttle at 2-3k and it makes all kinds of noise. My double overhead cam VVT V8 in my Tundra makes exactly the same sounds.

As for the typewriter tick, it is back, but only when cold. I find it interesting that it shows up right after a fresh oil change on a cold motor. I haven't heard it at all the last 9 months, but it was back in force right at first start after the change. After driving for an hour or so, no tick. Very odd.

I'll be doing a bunch of driving and knocking off these 3,000 mi in the next 3 weeks so will report back when I change to the full synthetic.

** Did this on my back with the car on ramps. First time was on the lift but I didn't have time to drive over to the shop with a lift. Wasn't too bad, but much easier on a lift.
IMG_20210724_094446720.jpg

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
I did my first oil change on my 2019 GT premium, PP1 401a at 850 miles and switched to 5w-30 Amsoil with two bottles of Liqui Moly Cera Tec additive. Quiet as a mouse, smooth running. I now have 980 miles on it.

Aaron1085

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT - Whipple
I did my first oil change on my 2019 GT premium, PP1 401a at 850 miles and switched to 5w-30 Amsoil with two bottles of Liqui Moly Cera Tec additive. Quiet as a mouse, smooth running. I now have 980 miles on it.
many additional input in the Cera Tec?

you added the 10qts PLUS one bottle (300ml) of this?

many other reviews on the use of this product?

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
...I was not aware of this change, yet. Of course I'll be a while since I
don't drive the car much. (33 days owned and 535 miles)

My '20 Scat Pack was set for 5000 miles or 6 mos.
Just after I sold it, I got a notification over Uconnect for
the upcoming oil change.
According to the Challenger forum, Dodge was REALLY critical about
the oil changes being done, even voiding a warranty for non-compliance.

One other interesting detail between Dodge and Ford;
...my Challenger came with hood struts and the Mustang doesn't.
As much as these cars cost they should be standard, I think..............:wink:

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP Whipple Stage 2
many additional input in the Cera Tec?

you added the 10qts PLUS one bottle (300ml) of this?

many other reviews on the use of this product?
I put about 9.5 quarts and then two bottles. I will do an oil analysis prior to winter and check the counts.
Sponsored