Sponsored

5k+ UPDATE - Steeda SMcQueen Suspension (Non-Magniride) 1k Review (w/images)

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
I purchased the SMcQ back in September, but it was October before the Suspension was put on my vehicle. This review covers the entire kit as it is really designed to work as one unit. Big shout out to Rod who took the time to work with me as I made my decision and for the support he offered throughout install and whatnot. Here is what was in the kit:

Steeda Dual Rate Ultimate Handling Springs (part of the DIFM)

Steeda ProAction Adjustable Struts & Shocks (part of the DIFM)

Steeda Camber Plates (part of the DIFM)

Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support System (part of the ‘Stop the hop’ starter kit)

Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment Kit (part of the ‘Stop the hop’ starter kit)

Steeda IRS Subframe Support Brace (part of the ‘Stop the hop’ starter kit)

Steeda Front & Rear Sway Bars With “Welded-In-Place” Solid Billet Ends

Steeda Front & Rear Billet Aluminum Sway Bar Mounts

Steeda Bump Steer Kit

Steeda Billet Aluminum Vertical Links with Poly Bushing

Steeda Ultra-Lite Chassis Jacking Rails

Steeda Extreme G-Trac K-Member Support Brace

Overall, there are more pros than cons. I have logged about 1k miles on the suspension so this review does include break-in / settling; I will try to update over the next few months:

Pros:

1. Ride quality is close to stock. The Dual Rate springs kick over a bit faster than the stock progressives, but the ride is stock on the highway. Bumpy country roads become a bit bumpy, but it is less “rage rabbit” and more “focused frog”. (those terms are coined now..)
  2. Stability is drastically improved. Acceleration at any speed is more vectored (less diffused) so very little power is lost to course corrections and whatnot. Also, turns at speed are planted, and the limited roll exhibited by the stock setup is severely reduced. You turn, car go.
  3. Ride Height is attractive, but functional. While a drop of 1” will still allow for parking in most urban environments, it is not very functional for most of Texas. Our highway roads are better than most states (COME AT ME BRO!!!), but backroads and farm to market routes can have hidden surprises. This is especially true if you live in an area that sees a lot of salt truck / chicken truck / work truck / neerdowell travel. The .5-.75” drop is a sweet spot that keeps you out a most scary situations without leaving you looking like a tonka truck.
  4. Price. Steeda discounts FTW.
  5. Looks. Steeda highlights under the chassis look amazing. Nothing looks over or under done. Attractively sturdy would be the best, visual, description.
Cons:
  1. Front adjustable swaybar is a hot mess
    1. Parts of the swaybar (endlinks) were out of stock for close to a month
    2. Parts of the endlinks were missing upon arrival (rubber plugs)
    3. 1 endlink has went bad
      1. The way steeda warranty works, you have to purchase a new endlink and get a refund when you send the bad one back. Note - This may not be a big deal if you are home garaging your car as you can just send the faulty part back for a replacement at no cost (@steeda please confirm). As I am handing the work to more certified individuals, it is a bit of a hassle.
  2. NHV is increased from the front end
    1. There is a LOT more popping and squeaking when compared to the stock suspension. It is likely this is all related to the endlink, but we will see after it get replaced. It is my understanding that the kit is designed to keep NHV to stock levels.
Would I purchase this kit again? Now that I know my dealer would have been fine with me throwing air suspension on this vehicle (would have only voided the suspension portion of my warranty). I am 85/15. For the price I would have paid for an installed 3H kit, I was able to purchase and install a complete suspension kit (With multiple frame stiffening components). While I do think the air suspension would have offered more adjustability and ride comfort, all of the items on this kit are warranted for life (even if I have to use the deposit system to make it work). The 3H only offers lifetime warranty for the controller and tank; tubing, shocks, and struts have a 1 year warranty (@Airlift please confirm).

Would I suggest this kit to a friend? ATM, I am 70/30 based on my 1st month experience.

What is the current rank of this system? ATM, I am looking at 4 stars (I reserve the right to update this after the replacement endlink is installed and another 1k miles are put on the vehicle):

+1 star for looks

+1 star for stability

+1 star for price

+1 star for ride height

+1 star for ride quality

-1 star for endlink insanity

-.5 star for NVH

+.5 star for freebie clutch spring assembly

View media item 16037View media item 16036View media item 16035View media item 16038View media item 16039View media item 16040View media item 16042View media item 16044
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
you need to fix your media permissions.

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(SIG) 2019 Mustang Bullitt w/ non-mag SMcQ suspension w/ bullitt electronics / (SAUER) 2005 Ford Focus ST
OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Update*
I planned on waiting until 1k miles post endlink replacement, but some issues I ran into today call for an update.

So, the replacement part for the "lifetime warranty" endlink was "out of stock". I am just recieving this news today. Quick recap:

1. I order the SMcQ suspension early sept.
  2. I had to wait about a month to install the SMcQ suspension because the endlinks were backordered in Sept.
  3. SMcQ suspension was installed mid oct by a certified ford suspension tech.
  4. Less than a month later an endlink went bad
  5. To replace this warrantied part, I had to pay for the replacement. I should be reimbursed when steeda receives the faulty part.
  6. I ordered the replacement part over the phone on monday, and was informed it would be shipping out tuesday via 2 day shipping.
  7. Today (Friday), I was informed that the part never left the warehouse because they did not have any to send, but (magically) they were able to find one today and it will he shipping out soon to arrive on wed.
@Steeda no matter how good your suspension is, it does not matter if your logistics / build quality can not keep up. While the car is still drivable, it is insane to think your flagship mustang suspension would be this much trouble. This modifies scores (see below).

Would I order this again - 50/50
Would I suggest this to a friend - 30/70
What is the current rank of this system - 3*
+1 star for looks

+1 star for stability
+1 star for price
+1 star for ride height
+1 star for ride quality
-2 star for endlink insanity
-.5 star for NVH

Staynumz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bullitt
Good info here. Thanks for the write up. If you went with the air suspension would you have still opted for the frame stiffening parts?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Staynumz thank you

I figured I needed to update this to reflect that the suspension issue was fixed with the new part (and a bit of extra elbow grease).
The confidence to DRIVE the car is back now that the pop/pinging is gone. I made sure to put some miles on the suspension this weekend and made good use of the Lousiana highway system for suspension testing :headbang:. The suspension held up throughout the holiday weekend, and at this point the only tweaking I will do is increase the hardness a bit (quarter turn) and, maybe, move the swaybar to the tighter setting. The ride will get a bit bumpier, but I can live with that.

That being said, the score is only increasing a bit as I have yet to get an RMA UPS label for the faulty part. I understand that Steeda has Black Friday / Cyber Monday rush atm, but the representative and I have have been requesting the label since last week. I cannot, at this time, remove the endlink blemish from the review.

Would I order this again - 60/40
Would I suggest this to a friend - 40/60
What is the current rank of this system - 3.5*
+1 star for looks

+1 star for stability
+1 star for price
+1 star for ride height
+1 star for ride quality (please read the details about this if you are looking for a more "cushy" ride)
-2 star for endlink insanity

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They say that time heals all wounds... I guess that saying is also kinda true for suspension impressions :computerrage:. After logging over 5k miles on this setup, I have really started to appreciate the drastic improvements, and accept some quirks that come with improved suspension setup. Most of this discovery comes from me really starting to drive Sig as it was intended :captain:. I now shift later during spirited driving and the bullitt makes... well... FRIGGING MUSIC!!!:captain:

What do I mean by drastic improvements:
  1. Turns are nonsensical at this point. I realize that my understanding is limited compared to our track focused members, but... this is nonsense for a 4k lbs car.
  2. Even at a "theoretical" 4k LC :bandit:, wheel spin is about .5-.75 sec (given favorable temps on unprepared surface). Those "theoretical" spins do not meander much either.
  3. The car remains stable during "spirited" acceleration.
What do I mean by quirks:
  1. The suspension is rough on passengers. If you love your loved ones more than you love driving your beloved, you might want something else.
  2. Wind dynamics are a bit different and you might want to get a light spoiler or ducktail
  3. Tramlining is a reality. Accept it, adjust for it, and keep an eye out for BTR (Black Top Railways)
  4. Narrow inclines should be approached straight if the grade is towards the top end of acceptable. If you try to go in/out at an angle, your VERY STIFF car will lift one rear tire up like a dog at a hydrant.
Overall, the system is not designed to increase your daily drivability as much as it is designed to enhance your spirited driving experience; you trade comfort for confidence. I chose this over some other options based on completeness of kit, price, and modest lowering (Texas highways are amazing, our country roads are less forgiving). I will eventually graduate to dynamic suspension of some sort, but even then, the frame stiffening components will remain.

Would I order this again - 80/20
Would I suggest this to a friend - 60/40
What is the current rank of this system - 4.0*
+1 star for looks
+1 star for stability
+1 star for price
+1 star for ride height
+.5 star for ride quality (please read the details about this if you are looking for a more "cushy" ride)
-1.0 star for endlink insanity

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Is there still a LOT more popping and squeaking going on in the front?

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bahndvr - The popping / squeaking is, for the most part, gone. I can hear some noise if I start to go up an incline wrong, but that is basically the car telling me it is too stiff and I need to re-approach the incline. The popping / squeaking I talked about in my initial review is gone.

That being said, I plan to take it to the dealer for re-torquing this month as I now have over 12k on the car.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear

Sponsored
OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I might have found another culprits for the some of the earlier squeaking. We found this while putting some new suspension on. It looks like the first place (*cough* discount tire *cough*) my dealership took the car to (post smq setup) tried an inventive way to correct for camber....
dt_camber_solution_yikes.jpg

New suspension mods will be in a new thread once I get images of everything and edit the videos...

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
WTH

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
That is just ridiculous. I had a similar situation with my brand new 98 Mustang GT. The dealership had ground the heads of a few timing cover bolts down, in order to gain clearance for the Vortech supercharger mounting bracket. I found it at the 3K mile oil change and supercharger maintenance (cleaning oil strainer). I went back to the dealer and had them take the bolts off of a brand new GT on the lot and told them they should be the ones to wait on replacement bolts, not me. It’s crap like this, that inspires me to do all of my own work on my car. At least if I screw something up, it won‘t be done intentionally. I just have a really hard time paying for someone else’s mistakes or intentional screw-ups.

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Anything for a buck. Friggin amazing how low they will stoop. Same jerks that might sell you a GT500 at 10 grand over sticker!

OP
OP
Bear_Stang

Bear_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
<CLARIFICATION>

My dealer does NOT fo their own alignments. The cars are sent across town to a discount tire location for an alignment. My beef atm is with my local discount tire. My dealership has done some boneheaded things, but this is on their subcontractor.

I know the guy that put on the suspension. We got off to a rocky start, but he is one of 3 service techs I am willing to let do work on my vehicle. He was the first to voice concern about taking it to DT, but was overruled. Conversations with him and a service advisor helped inform my decision to head to firestone for alignments. Basically, the alignment shop is geared towards trucks as the area sees about 1 car sale for every 50 truck sales. #countrylife

The image was basically him showing me what happened. After that we discussed the age, solutions, and ect. Luckily, i had already purchased new spline bolts in prep for some suspension work. Will we be able to force DT to stand by their work....??? Prolly not.
Sponsored

Last edited: