Sponsored

54,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Increased Lead

sdsteele2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer XLT
In this context PPM can be thought of like this; for 1000 grams of motor oil there would be 7 milligrams of lead. Typically distributed as very very tiny particles.
I have asked this question to blackstone and waiting for a response.

I have also asked them about the right method of filling the sample container. I think I have not been consistent in how I take the sample as far as when/how I fill the sample container during the draining process. For example, in this last sample I filled the half of the container a little after opening the drain plug and the last half was towards really the end. The thinking was I would get a bit of the oil thats at the bottom of the sump and a bit at the top. Historically, in the very early samples I sent to them I always filled up the container all the way right after draining the oil. I dont know if this can be a reason for some discrepancy. So it might be that I was getting the "clean" oil in the previous samples but in the last sample I really filled half of the container with pretty much the bottom of the sump's oil.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
In this context PPM can be thought of like this; for 1000 grams of motor oil there would be 7 milligrams of lead. Typically distributed as very very tiny particles.
If true, then the GT350's ~4.3 kg of oil would contain 30 mg of lead at 7 ppm. Which I think would be 0.3 cc. More than I would have expected. Maybe I did the math wrong.