Sponsored

54,000 Mile Oil Analysis - Increased Lead

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Update: I did an oil change at 3100 miles. Lead level came back at 7. For this to be apples to apples comparison vs the last oil change which was at 4500 miles and came back 23, interpolating 7 is 10. So level came down by more than half.

Also the oil consumption that had gotten progressively worse is now back to how it was (1 qt per 1000-1250 miles) since car was brand new.

I changed the plugs and fuel filter when this oil was changed. My plan right now is to change oil at 4500 miles and see but I dont think the engine is on its way out.
Thanks for the update. I wasn’t a forum member when you posted most of the content and I enjoyed going back through all the posts. . . I giggled a little when a certain someone was being a D-Bag and everyone called him out for being a DBag. My faith in humanity has been partially restored :)

Best of luck!
Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Just an update: Car now has 61,500 miles. Since the lead increased to 21, I had 2 oil changes. In the first oil change, lead went down to 7. In this last change, it went down to 2 which is considered normal (it has always been 1-2 since brand new). My opinion is the increased lead was due to me switching gas stations to a local no name gas station (it is one of those non franchise, no name, only 1 location ones). Also around this time of lead increasing, I had issues of misfires at RPMs above 4500, further I changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter. Somehow something in the fuel may have done something with the fuel filter. But this increase in lead was not due to engine wear thankfully.

It is also worth nothing that this is now my 16th oil change in the shelby and my metals of the first change (except the 500 mile change) vs the 16th change are pretty much identical. Engine seems to be doing great. Oil consumption has not changed one bit (1250 miles/qt if driven in city/occasional aggressive driving and 2500 miles/qt for pure highway driving). Coolant top off is required every 10000-12500 miles (since new). I think on the coolant side, the car uses some amount (maybe it just disappears to air with time). In my case, they even replaced my entire radiator under warranty and coolant lines thinking it would address the issue, but it didnt. The oil reports show no coolant/water in the oil so I dont think its the head gasket.

Anyways, overall I think this car has proven itself. 61,500 miles on a 8300 rpm, 6 speed car. I drive with snow tires. What else can I say? Still the original clutch even original brake pads. I actually expect to do a long write up of my ownership experience as well as how it compares to my C7 ZR1 and now the new 2019 991.2 GT3RS (yes now I have an RS, ZR1, and GT350 - and no other cars).

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You're definitely burning a small amount of coolant. Are all plugs the same?

Yes, all same. See my post above. Every 10k-12.5k miles, my coolant level drops below Min and I add just enough to bring it between Max and Min (where the seam of the box is). Thats probably around 8 oz at the most. I consistently had to do this since brand new, first one at 12k miles, then 22k miles, then 34k miles, so on.

Sponsored

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Yes, all same. See my post above. Every 10k-12.5k miles, my coolant level drops below Min and I add just enough to bring it between Max and Min (where the seam of the box is). Thats probably around 8 oz at the most. I consistently had to do this since brand new, first one at 12k miles, then 22k miles, then 34k miles, so on.
Yeah, that's what made me do a double-take on the spark plug when I scrolled past it again. I wouldn't worry either. Just confirming your suspicion!

Last edited:

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Just an update: Car now has 61,500 miles. Since the lead increased to 21, I had 2 oil changes. In the first oil change, lead went down to 7. In this last change, it went down to 2 which is considered normal (it has always been 1-2 since brand new). My opinion is the increased lead was due to me switching gas stations to a local no name gas station (it is one of those non franchise, no name, only 1 location ones). Also around this time of lead increasing, I had issues of misfires at RPMs above 4500, further I changed the spark plugs and the fuel filter. Somehow something in the fuel may have done something with the fuel filter. But this increase in lead was not due to engine wear thankfully.

It is also worth nothing that this is now my 16th oil change in the shelby and my metals of the first change (except the 500 mile change) vs the 16th change are pretty much identical. Engine seems to be doing great. Oil consumption has not changed one bit (1250 miles/qt if driven in city/occasional aggressive driving and 2500 miles/qt for pure highway driving). Coolant top off is required every 10000-12500 miles (since new). I think on the coolant side, the car uses some amount (maybe it just disappears to air with time). In my case, they even replaced my entire radiator under warranty and coolant lines thinking it would address the issue, but it didnt. The oil reports show no coolant/water in the oil so I dont think its the head gasket.

Anyways, overall I think this car has proven itself. 61,500 miles on a 8300 rpm, 6 speed car. I drive with snow tires. What else can I say? Still the original clutch even original brake pads. I actually expect to do a long write up of my ownership experience as well as how it compares to my C7 ZR1 and now the new 2019 991.2 GT3RS (yes now I have an RS, ZR1, and GT350 - and no other cars).
I started reading your post from the beginning and after reading about you stopping at a new fuel station I skipped to the end to see if anyone gave you a heads up about that. I see you figured it out, same thing happened to me years ago with a diesel engine. I knew better but one day stopped off at a no-brand station close to home because it was convenient. Ended up with water in my tank. I stick with Shell in my Shelby, guess there are other good brands.
Congrats on the milage.

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Thanks for posting all of this. I just read through all 6 pages. Interesting reading. I'd love to know more about the burning coolant. I have a 2017 as well but somehow have only managed to put 1,500 miles on it since I purchased it in early Oct 2016. After reading this thread, I'm going to a drive.

Stezlaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350

Thanks for posting the update! I've only had mine about a month and put just shy of 2,000 miles on it already, so these threads interest me. I can't imagine NOT driving this car.....it's just too much fun....even when you are NOT driving it like it's meant to be driven. Then when you do, well..............:shock::rockon::crazy:

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Update : at 71,000 miles now the lead level increased to 35. Prior to this it had dropped to 2 at one point, then increased to 5, and now 35. Highest it has been was 23 which was 17,000 miles ago. My car does have the typewriter tick (it had it since day 1), it has the piston slap (it also had this since day 1).

I dont know if its time to get out of this car before it turns into a money pit - which is very unfortunate. I believe I have not shifted above 4500 rpm for good 10,000 miles out of fear of engine grenading itself.

I dont understand why the lead is very erratically behaving. I did notice that the lead levels increased after a winter season. Perhaps the very cold starts do not go well with this engine.

Also the overall interior of the car has sort of fallen apart around 60,000 miles. Inside was very well built/quite/no rattles until 60k, then suddenly everything is now moving/vibrating/buzzing/rattling. The A/C wents, the door trims, front dash, the USB chargeport area, cup holders, arm rest, the rear seat belt large trim area (I think the foams inside have cracked and are squeaking), the rear tail lights buzz, and so on.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DrZed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 M6
Didn't read the whole thread, but Blackstone recommends if there are concerns do a drain (and filter) and run another 2000 miles and then retest.

That should give you enough time to bring it in for warranty service this re-test.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Didn't read the whole thread, but Blackstone recommends if there are concerns do a drain (and filter) and run another 2000 miles and then retest.

That should give you enough time to bring it in for warranty service this re-test.
My car has been out of warranty for 11,000 miles now....

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
YOU USE a/v fuel in this thing from time to time, or left over fuel from the boat dock(if you have a boat)
Race fuel isn't always unleaded, nor is av (plane) fuel.
Only other thing I can think of is if the connecting rod is full floating with a bushing in the small end, what type alloy is it made from? iirc many are a bronze alloy.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
YOU USE a/v fuel in this thing from time to time, or left over fuel from the boat dock(if you have a boat)
Race fuel isn't always unleaded, nor is av (plane) fuel.
Only other thing I can think of is if the connecting rod is full floating with a bushing in the small end, what type alloy is it made from? iirc many are a bronze alloy.
I always use exxon 93 octane. I always assumed lead must be from the rod bearings.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

What if you need to do a Home Depot run?
Sponsored